Tennessee

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We got out rebounded, and gave up 24 offensive rebounds, to a team starting a 6-4 power forward and only playing one guy over 6-5 significant minutes. We also shot under 40% from the field and were just 2-19 from behind the arc. We had 15-14 A/T as well. A win is better than a loss but bad basketball is still bad basketball. And it's what we are saw tonight from both teams.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
We got out rebounded, and gave up 24 offensive rebounds, to a team starting a 6-4 power forward and only playing one guy over 6-5 significant minutes. We also shot under 40% from the field and were just 2-19 from behind the arc. We had 15-14 A/T as well. A win is better than a loss but bad basketball is still bad basketball. And it's what we are saw tonight from both teams.

I don't anticipate a rebounding performance like that again.

BG: "We did not rebound the ball well. That's not who we are. That's unacceptable in our program. We're a great rebounding program, that's something we take pride in. That's gotta be the most offensive rebounds we've ever given up in 5 years here and we'll right that ship, I guarantee you that."

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Good win. We got a run going and held the lead like we should. ESPN keeps saying we came back from 7 points down, it was 9 or my TV is broken. Unlike last year we didn't chuck up garbage 3 pointers at that point (we shot some bad ones during the game but not then) and we just chipped away at the lead. I think we would have done well to drive the lane and draw fouls. Free throws are basically guaranteed and that's how UT tried to stay in the game.

Wish Tadric would find his shot like the first game. I love him because he wants to score but hate him because he will keep forcing it even when it's not his night.

uyvzy1j.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with a sloppy win. This would have been a sloppy loss last year. This is a team that hasn't really played that much together with so many new parts, so it's nice to see them figure it out in the process and also get that "W" against a P5 team.

Heath needs to be more assertive like he was in the beginning of last year. The guy can create his own shot if he needs to, and he's done it at times last year. I think he just likes to be a "facilitator" type PG. Jorgy needs to show the potential he had as a TFr before he got injured. He only gets a pass for his injury for so long...I think I'm personally past it, though some are still fine with giving him a pass. Hopefully he takes the next step soon. His shot though...oof. Right now, he's a backup level PG at best...that's just my opinion.

Hello Nick Jacobs...you are going to do well in the ACC. Charles Mitchell and Jacobs are going to be a nice inside force.

Quenton Stephens...where ya at, bro?! Would be nice for him and Adam Smith to form a nice 1-2 shooting duo.

I'm going to temper my enthusiasm for this team. I want to love you again GT basketball, I really do...

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
is it just me or is jorgenson appear to be a liability on the court? his man scores more points than he does. he has a hard time creating his own shot and his 3 is still way off.

never having had knee surgery it could be that i am expecting too much from him at this point. i hope i am wrong!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
...... ESPN keeps saying we came back from 7 points down, it was 9 or my TV is broken. ......

Maybe that's on me since I said 7 in chat and here. I watched some of the first half, watched a show with my wife and then came back when we were 7 down. When I saw that, it was like, football deja vu.:drowning:

...... This is a team that hasn't really played that much together with so many new parts, so it's nice to see them figure it out in the process and also get that "W" against a P5 team.........

Aren't we like the inverse of Kentucky? Our 1 and dones are grad students / transfers? The announcers said we had 4 players who had started at another college. That's one way to avoid calculus at GT.

is it just me or is jorgenson appear to be a liability on the court? his man scores more points than he does. he has a hard time creating his own shot and his 3 is still way off.

never having had knee surgery it could be that i am expecting too much from him at this point. i hope i am wrong!
You would be correct in thinking that. He can't guard anyone. He can't score. His ball handling is not that much superior than anyone else's that it makes him a necessity to bring it up.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You would be correct in thinking that. He can't guard anyone. He can't score. His ball handling is not that much superior than anyone else's that it makes him a necessity to bring it up.
I think this is why Heath is starting. That said, Smith has a matador personality also. Perimeter defense will be an issue for us all season unless we can find some improvement outside.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We won, and that's great, but there was plenty to leave doubt in one's mind about how good this team might be:
  1. free throw shooting-we shot 4-10 in the 2nd half. Ugh
  2. 3 point shooting-we were 2 of 19 for the entire game. Sheesh!
  3. we scored 0 points in the last 2:23 and 2 in the last 5:14. Not exactly clutch scoring to put the game away!
  4. we gave up 24 offensive rebounds to a team that was basically 5" shorter than us in the paint per man. Tennessee was out-rebounded by UNC-Asheville, but they out rebounded us by 53-47.
Still, we won, and that was nice. But geez.....

(and I also agree that our perimeter defense looks like it's going to be a challenge all season long.)

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I think UT made it an emphasis to rebound this game. Much like how CBG has been talking after the game.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
With a few exceptions I pretty much saw the same product as last season.
At times they look good and at times they look lost, poor free throw shooting and execution down the stretch.
Defense in the paint and rebounding was awful.
If UT is a mid to low level SEC team, expect a repeat of last season once we get into the ACC schedule.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
With a few exceptions I pretty much saw the same product as last season.
At times they look good and at times they look lost, poor free throw shooting and execution down the stretch.
Defense in the paint and rebounding was awful.
If UT is a mid to low level SEC team, expect a repeat of last season once we get into the ACC schedule.

Nah, if you watched the whole game you saw marked improvement in all those areas. The stumbling down the stretch looked more like growing pains to me. The fact that we didn't fold late was a positive sign.

UT was crashing the paint in response to their lackluster effort in game 1. Likely we'll see the same out of us in game 3 in response to game 2's effort.

Now don't get it twisted. I'm not saying 'all is well' or that we'll be some world-beater. Alls I'm saying is that we looked improved last night save for a couple of plays towards the end. In past seasons it was a game-long cluster-gaggle.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Nah, if you watched the whole game you saw marked improvement in all those areas. The stumbling down the stretch looked more like growing pains to me. The fact that we didn't fold late was a positive sign.

UT was crashing the paint in response to their lackluster effort in game 1. Likely we'll see the same out of us in game 3 in response to game 2's effort.

Now don't get it twisted. I'm not saying 'all is well' or that we'll be some world-beater. Alls I'm saying is that we looked improved last night save for a couple of plays towards the end. In past seasons it was a game-long cluster-gaggle.

k,
it was too poor Offensive teams that basically threw up a shot and then went to rebound it--the shooting was horrendous
probably the only reason we won was that dude missed 2 FTs at end,they shot 50% and we 60%
it was a win (in a close game for a change)but little coaching seen in this, remember we beat Vandy last yr also but we didn't follow through on season