Tennessee Game 1

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Will love to hear the following from Andy D...." Vols win, well maybe next week. On this Labor Day night it's the Yellow Jackets that are victorious! Tennessee 24 and Georgia Tech 35. Until our next broadcast best wishes and Good Night."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Will love to hear the following from Andy D...." Vols win, well maybe next week. On this Labor Day night it's the Yellow Jackets that are victorious! Tennessee 24 and Georgia Tech 35. Until our next broadcast best wishes and Good Night."

Or:
Hahaha. It wasn't even close. Well, hopefully the starters will be able to play more than 1 qtr next week vs Jax St.

Deleted member 2897

Or:
Hahaha. It wasn't even close. Well, hopefully the starters will be able to play more than 1 qtr next week vs Jax St.

Or more like "Well, it really seemed once Butch Jones lost self control early in the first quarter after Tech ran 12 consecutive dives and scored that his team lost self control too. I didn't see anything illegal or underhanded that Tech did on that drive - no Tennessee defensive linemen got hurt, but the 8 who ended up on the ground were all pancakes. I think Butch was probably more embarrassed than anything else. But when you get an unsportsmanlike penalty and then kicked out of the game, you're not doing your own team any favors. Especially not when theres still 10 minutes left in the very first quarter. And that video of him stopping at the exit to yell one more time at the refs and then slipping and falling and losing his false teeth that nobody knew about are gonna leave a mark."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Vegas betting lines are focused on bringing in bets....The guy setting the line doesn't need to know about football. Just needs to know who the betting public favors in matchups. Tech will almost always be the underdog when facing a factory.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

020888b0-bbaa-0132-46bd-0e9062a7590a.gif

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to get the sense UT is really feeling themselves a little too much this spring/summer. It feels like a game that they get a little over confident about. Come Labor Day weekend all the guys at Espn and the rest of the media will be all over UT and the SEC. especially is Alabama beats F$U. I think we come out feeling disrespected and play with a chip on our shoulder. I was a little nervous about how we'd play this game but I'm thinking we are going to pull this one out.

I'm starting to get the sense UT is really feeling themselves a little too much this spring/summer. It feels like a game that they get a little over confident about. Come Labor Day weekend all the guys at Espn and the rest of the media will be all over UT and the SEC. especially is Alabama beats F$U. I think we come out feeling disrespected and play with a chip on our shoulder. I was a little nervous about how we'd play this game but I'm thinking we are going to pull this one out.
LOL don't we go into most of our games disrespected. That offense just cant win......they just cant come back in games.....they just cant recruit with that offense......lol

Deleted member 2897

LOL don't we go into most of our games disrespected. That offense just cant win......they just cant come back in games.....they just cant recruit with that offense......lol

And then according to the Stoopsian Theory on Realization, at about 7 minutes into the 1st quarter you realize you're in a major dogfight, which results in a suffocating panic reaction.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
And then according to the Stoopsian Theory on Realization, at about 7 minutes into the 1st quarter you realize you're in a major dogfight, which results in a suffocating panic reaction.
And then 53 minutes later your still a winner at life according to the Eastwood/King Spring's theory!

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Making the case for Butch Jones being underrated at Tennessee
In four years, Jones has delivered the first three-game bowl winning streak since the Manning years. There have been the first back-to-back final top 25 finishes in 10 years.

In the SEC, only Jones, Nick Saban and Jim McElwain have won at least nine games the last two seasons. In the last three years, only Saban (40) has won more games than Jones (25) among SEC coaches.
Thought this was a good article on Butch Jones. While I might disagree with the end premise, I thought it was well-written and certainly an informed view. Up for discussion? Certainly

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Tennessee football summer program includes more work on Georgia Tech
The Vols open the season on Sept. 4 against the Yellow Jackets in Atlanta’s new Mercedes-Benz Stadium, and while that’s a ways off, Tennessee is making sure it will be ready for Georgia Tech’s vaunted triple option offense.

“It is different, and it’s all about preparing your team for it,” Tennessee coach Butch Jones said on the Cube Show on Huntsville’s (Ala.) 103.9 FM last week.

“Georgia Tech, they are a great football team, obviously they challenge you in so many aspects,” Jones said. “and the first part of that challenge comes from your preparation.”
Georgia Tech went 3-0 against SEC teams last season, defeating Vanderbilt, Georgia and Kentucky.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Thought this was a good article on Butch Jones. While I might disagree with the end premise, I thought it was well-written and certainly an informed view. Up for discussion? Certainly
yea and Richt has 19 wins in the last 3 years as an SEC coach except he coached in the ACC for the last one.

Jones is on the upper end because of the coach shake up in the SEC and having the fortune of not coaching at MSST, Kentucky, or Vandy

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

After reading the author of the article reasoning, I was inclined to agree. (about Butch being underrated and a really good coach) After all, Fulmer himself said that Butch inherited a "real mess". Then I read the comments, principally from Tennessee fans and boy howdy they did not agree and gave plenty of good reasons why. I don't know and don't really care but Tennessee has everything you need to be successful as a football factory but has two main obstacles. Located in a state with more or less average talent and the specter of playing UGA, Florida, and Alabama every year. Still, they always have talent and as rabid a fan base as the SEC can boast. Still can't believe they have lost to Vanderbilt two years in a row, which one of the commentators wrote has not been done since the 1920s. Well, Butch has that on his resume anyway.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be a difficult decision. If the administration would loosen the restrictions a little bit and with our support system in place I would be happy to got to a more conventional offense and tap into some of that instate talent. Trouble is, I don't think that is a viable option at this point which means we may be looking at a transition to a Paul Johnson disciple and continued triple option with all its advantages AND disadvantages in recruiting. I still think we can recruit better especially on defense. Coach Johnson has found, as so many others before him, that Georgia Tech is a different sort of animal. He has made adjustments in recruiting focus and seems willing to devote more resources in finding those diamonds in the rough that can handle the academic challenges and play good football. He calls it "the right fit" which is pretty much summarizes the inherent challenges facing any Tech coach. We are doing better each year in recruiting regardless of stars and rankings. Just compare who we got this year to the classes of 2011 and 2012. Offensive line and defense are much improved over years past.

Loosening restrictions would be the key. We had a president in Patrick Crecine who was totally onboard with Tech athletics and (along with Homer Rice) created a favorable climate for winning, at least for a while. Back when Coach Ross was at the helm, Tech ran a nice balance of pro-style run-and-shoot along with the option. Shawn Jones was a Randall-Cunningham type QB with a whole arsenal of talented receivers to throw to; it's hard to remember they ran the option as much as they did. I think they did the same thing later on when Joe Hamilton was at QB. With the right players, I like the idea of mixing the option up with a good pro-style offense.