Tennessee Game 1

Techster

Helluva Engineer
EVERYBODY knows how to stop Tech, amirite??????

It's what CPJ says all the time. There is no "secret" or special defense to stop our offense. There's so much tape out there of what we do and how other teams have defensed against it that nothing is new anymore. Your defense just has to execute better than our offense. Being way more talented helps, but if that talent doesn't do what they're suppose to, our advantage is we've repped our offense hundreds/thousands more times than the defense was able to practice against it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I didn't find it too bad. I mean they had their morons 'we will win on talent', 'we will score 60 points', but they also had their fair share of level headed people. I think their biggest risk is if they spend a ton of time preparing for us, then they will jeopardize their next few games. My personal belief is that you don't need to overprepare, you simply need to put a couple extra guys on the edge at the linebacker position. If you put 9 in the box and let the 2 DBs play a little conservative, you'll get beat by passes here and there, but we are never going to throw the ball even 30% of the time. So you just keep the WRs in front of you and say oh well. Focus on the 90% of plays that are runs and ignore getting beat on short passes. Just don't give up the big ones. And if you can't stop runs with 9 in the box, you have bigger problems.
I never knew until reading the first Tennessee posting and this one just how easy it is to beat us. Nine in the box and keep the receivers in front of you. Just surprised Johnson never prepared for this. Does he have an email address?

Deleted member 2897

I never knew until reading the first Tennessee posting and this one just how easy it is to beat us. Nine in the box and keep the receivers in front of you. Just surprised Johnson never prepared for this. Does he have an email address?

You can email him at [email protected] (it will go to an Admin Teri). But don't worry, he doesn't need to prepare for it because nobody does it. And I never said it was easy to beat us. I just said that's what I would do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You can email him at [email protected] (it will go to an Admin Teri). But don't worry, he doesn't need to prepare for it because nobody does it. And I never said it was easy to beat us. I just said that's what I would do.
Okay. I was funning some. But I suspect your D would result in some powerfully long touchdown passes once Johnson get'sthem one-up down the field. His eyes would be spinning like a psychedelic kaleidoscope.

Deleted member 2897

Okay. I was funning some. But I suspect your D would result in some powerfully long touchdown passes once Johnson get'sthem one-up down the field. His eyes would be spinning like a psychedelic kaleidoscope.

I would be really interested to test that theory. Because I suspect we would indeed air it out a few times, but I have never seen us air it out to any measurable percentage. There are so many times we have screens, slants and things wide open and we don't audible and call it.

Milwaukee

Banned
Looking for 2 for this game, really good seats. Let me know if you have 2 or know someone who does please.

Thanks in advance.

Also need 2 for the Jax St game

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't find it too bad. I mean they had their morons 'we will win on talent', 'we will score 60 points', but they also had their fair share of level headed people. I think their biggest risk is if they spend a ton of time preparing for us, then they will jeopardize their next few games. My personal belief is that you don't need to overprepare, you simply need to put a couple extra guys on the edge at the linebacker position. If you put 9 in the box and let the 2 DBs play a little conservative, you'll get beat by passes here and there, but we are never going to throw the ball even 30% of the time. So you just keep the WRs in front of you and say oh well. Focus on the 90% of plays that are runs and ignore getting beat on short passes. Just don't give up the big ones. And if you can't stop runs with 9 in the box, you have bigger problems.
I think Kansas @ BDS was the last team to try this approach. They made the mistake of underestimating Tevin's passing ability. I do expect this approach until we prove we will destroy this scheme.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I think Kansas @ BDS was the last team to try this approach. They made the mistake of underestimating Tevin's passing ability. I do expect this approach until we prove we will destroy this scheme.

If it were me preparing for Tech (I know big IF there but bear with me) I would seek to emulate what Virginia Tech does.

1) Put my best tacking athlete up on the line and try to shoot the gaps pretty much every other play. Could be a corner or a safety but he has to be a good tackler and be smart about taking risks.
2) Be sure that the tackles and middle linebacker play the dive. Try to get the tackles to slow down the center getting to the second level blocking the middle linebacker.
3) Pound it into the outside linebackers and safeties heads to play the pitch. Damn it don't get fooled by the eye candy.
4) Corners are to play man to man on receivers.
5) Penetration by tackles and ends are key. Disrupt the quarterback's timing and making him "bow out" on option plays is half the battle.
6) Pray that Mills does not make it to the second level with a head of steam
7) Watch Lynch like a hawk. That is one sneaky SOB that will get us beat either running the ball or receiving.
8) Fight off the blocks and make open field tackles on pitch plays at or behind the LOS. Physical fast play by linebackers, safeties, and corners is critical. Damn it, don't let them get to the corner.

Just my two cents FWIW

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If it were me preparing for Tech (I know big IF there but bear with me) I would seek to emulate what Virginia Tech does.

1) Put my best tacking athlete up on the line and try to shoot the gaps pretty much every other play. Could be a corner or a safety but he has to be a good tackler and be smart about taking risks.
2) Be sure that the tackles and middle linebacker play the dive. Try to get the tackles to slow down the center getting to the second level blocking the middle linebacker.
3) Pound it into the outside linebackers and safeties heads to play the pitch. Damn it don't get fooled by the eye candy.
4) Corners are to play man to man on receivers.
5) Penetration by tackles and ends are key. Disrupt the quarterback's timing and making him "bow out" on option plays is half the battle.
6) Pray that Mills does not make it to the second level with a head of steam
7) Watch Lynch like a hawk. That is one sneaky SOB that will get us beat either running the ball or receiving.
8) Fight off the blocks and make open field tackles on pitch plays at or behind the LOS. Physical fast play by linebackers, safeties, and corners is critical. Damn it, don't let them get to the corner.

Just my two cents FWIW
Agree, but that is a lot to execute on every snap. You need to add: pray Johnson doesn't call midline or speed options,

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
CPJ obviously has an answer for everything, but 8 in the box often rushing 5 to eliminate our extra man. It's what our D did in the Spring game.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The keys to stopping our offense is big nasty DT, fast LB, good cover corners that random fire 1 out of 5 plays, pinching in on the OT and blocking the center release to get the chop block call.... and practice.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Very bad strategy. The problem with this is that GT will do exactly what they did to Vanderbilt earlier last season; imagine the mismatches between the linebackers and the A-Backs on wheel and fly routes. They will be open for miles. It's something that fans consistently forget, that the A-Backs and B-Backs don't only run the ball, they can catch passes as well. And with this proposed game strategy you've now got a ton of mismatches between personnel up the middle, and trying to adjust to that is pointless since you haven't repped it at all leading up to the game, leaving you with a huge weak link that CPJ will exploit severely. Stacking the box with 9 and leaving 2 DB's leaves you with 2 wide-open A-Backs and a wide-open B-Back on passes. Just take a look at these highlights (mismatched passes against linebackers starts at 0:55, but notice specifically at 2:04 where Georgia Southern stacks 8 in the box leaving JJ Green and Clinton Lynch wide open for a touchdown)

SlawDog

Banned
Very bad strategy. The problem with this is that GT will do exactly what they did to Vanderbilt earlier last season; imagine the mismatches between the linebackers and the A-Backs on wheel and fly routes. They will be open for miles. It's something that fans consistently forget, that the A-Backs and B-Backs don't only run the ball, they can catch passes as well. And with this proposed game strategy you've now got a ton of mismatches between personnel up the middle, and trying to adjust to that is pointless since you haven't repped it at all leading up to the game, leaving you with a huge weak link that CPJ will exploit severely. Stacking the box with 9 and leaving 2 DB's leaves you with 2 wide-open A-Backs and a wide-open B-Back on passes. Just take a look at these highlights (mismatched passes against linebackers starts at 0:55, but notice specifically at 2:04 where Georgia Southern stacks 8 in the box leaving JJ Green and Clinton Lynch wide open for a touchdown)

Nice video! Our WR are amazing blocking

Deleted member 2897

Sorry, I meant linebacker positioning, essentially moving safeties up tight.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Sorry, I meant linebacker positioning, essentially moving safeties up tight.
That's basically what UVA did against Tech last season. Tech adjusted and exposed it in the second half. The problem is you're making a faulty assumption; GT is not a one-dimensional running team with a weak passing game, GT is a strong two-dimensional running and passing team. Otherwise, CPJ and his offense would have long since been figured out. I consistently hear opposing fans saying the exact same thing (in simpler terms) that you are saying now - stack the box since GT doesn't have a passing game. It's a faulty misconception that would end up with an opposing team getting burned

Coaches get paid to gameplan against teams. They watch hundreds of hours of film week to week. Coordinators get paid to come up with ways to stop the opposing team's offense or defense. If there was a surefire way of stopping a particular offense, it would have been figured out by now. There's a reason you don't see Clemson or Miami stacking the box and going man on receivers. It's why I laugh every time I see a comment or article that reads "CPJ's offense has been figured out." The only surefire way to stop GT's offense is to simply physically overmatch them as Clemson did (which actually stops every offense conceived, not just Tech's). Otherwise, it takes extensive gameplanning, preparing, and practicing

Deleted member 2897

That's basically what UVA did against Tech last season. Tech adjusted and exposed it in the second half. The problem is you're making a faulty assumption; GT is not a one-dimensional running team with a weak passing game, GT is a strong two-dimensional running and passing team. Otherwise, CPJ and his offense would have long since been figured out. I consistently hear opposing fans saying the exact same thing (in simpler terms) that you are saying now - stack the box since GT doesn't have a passing game. It's a faulty misconception that would end up with an opposing team getting burned

Coaches get paid to gameplan against teams. They watch hundreds of hours of film week to week. Coordinators get paid to come up with ways to stop the opposing team's offense or defense. If there was a surefire way of stopping a particular offense, it would have been figured out by now. There's a reason you don't see Clemson or Miami stacking the box and going man on receivers. It's why I laugh every time I see a comment or article that reads "CPJ's offense has been figured out." The only surefire way to stop GT's offense is to simply physically overmatch them as Clemson did (which actually stops every offense conceived, not just Tech's). Otherwise, it takes extensive gameplanning, preparing, and practicing

We had 5 completions that game. 1 receiving TD. I'm saying I take that gamble. We still ran the ball 75% of the time - that's what I mean.

Take away our 2 big runs and we had 29 carries for 72 yards.

They almost had us that game if not for a couple big busts. And that was a 2-10 team.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
We had 5 completions that game. 1 receiving TD. I'm saying I take that gamble. We still ran the ball 75% of the time - that's what I mean.

Take away our 2 big runs and we had 29 carries for 72 yards.

They almost had us that game if not for a couple big busts. And that was a 2-10 team.
I don't think 31-17 qualifies as "almost had us." Besides, I or someone else could easily argue that UVA's scheme set up those big plays since there was nobody to chase down the ball-carrier past the second level, rendering said strategy ineffective since it's foolhardy to expect to keep the offense in front of your defenders every single play of the game. I'm not going to do that, since I'm not very interested in going back and forth on this subject any longer, but the uncontested points I made above still remain. If that game strategy truly worked, then you would see everyone use it against us. The team that did use it against us lost 31-17. I think that by itself says enough