Tennessee Game 1

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't need to convince myself that the Vowels are down, have a bunch of players to replace, or have major questions at certain positions in order to have confidence going into this game. We will be pretty darned good. The most likely scenario is that they give us a really tough game. That's cool, because those are the most fun to watch and the most satisfying to win anyway. Always expect a war and never underestimate the enemy. It is the first step towards defeat.

I am also excited to see the new stadium for the first time. It should be pretty cool. At least we won't be baking in the sun.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't need to convince myself that the Vowels are down, have a bunch of players to replace, or have major questions at certain positions in order to have confidence going into this game. We will be pretty darned good. The most likely scenario is that they give us a really tough game. That's cool, because those are the most fun to watch and the most satisfying to win anyway. Always expect a war and never underestimate the enemy. It is the first step towards defeat.

I am also excited to see the new stadium for the first time. It should be pretty cool. At least we won't be baking in the sun.
I also look forward to the game. But it is the first game of the year for both teams and we all know anything can happen the first game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Butch Davis said after talking to Mike Stoops at Kentucky that: Tennessee will beat GT as we have more 4 stars talent than the Wildcats. Also, Kentucky wasn't very excited about playing against an ACC opponent especially at noon in a bowl game on New Years eve.
Doesn't say much for his coaching skills, does it? The fox that cannot reach the grapes says they are not ripe and all that stuff. But what the heck. I was not very excited about playing Iowa or LSU after about three quarters.

Deleted member 2897

In the latest installment of BOWK comedy, the Vols have 'done some research' on GT. Enjoy ...

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/274402-research-gt.html

(That's Battle of Wounded Knees for the uninitiated, btw.)

I didn't find it too bad. I mean they had their morons 'we will win on talent', 'we will score 60 points', but they also had their fair share of level headed people. I think their biggest risk is if they spend a ton of time preparing for us, then they will jeopardize their next few games. My personal belief is that you don't need to overprepare, you simply need to put a couple extra guys on the edge at the linebacker position. If you put 9 in the box and let the 2 DBs play a little conservative, you'll get beat by passes here and there, but we are never going to throw the ball even 30% of the time. So you just keep the WRs in front of you and say oh well. Focus on the 90% of plays that are runs and ignore getting beat on short passes. Just don't give up the big ones. And if you can't stop runs with 9 in the box, you have bigger problems.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Deleted member 2897

If Tennessee is smart, they'll focus on their own offense. The vast majority of the time, with very few exceptions, teams beat us by outscoring us, not necessarily by stopping our offense. You rarely ever hear teams talk about spending time on how to beat our defense, but that's the way to beat us. Last year we scored 28 or more points 9 times. The 4 games we lost our opponents scored an average of 36 points.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow