Tennessee Game 1

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
There's a lot of good points made here. I enjoy talking with people who think differently from myself, that's why I brought up the conference conversation. I don't want y'all to think I'm trying to talk trash or degrade your team and conference. Frivolous fodder. I'll keep my comments geared towards the game and offer any point of view anyone would like. But y'all have a good board!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of good points made here. I enjoy talking with people who think differently from myself, that's why I brought up the conference conversation. I don't want y'all to think I'm trying to talk trash or degrade your team and conference. Frivolous fodder. I'll keep my comments geared towards the game and offer any point of view anyone would like. But y'all have a good board!
I don't think anyone has taken your comments as trash or anything like that. You have been very respectful on this board. But that doesn't mean y'all are going to win, we are going to trash UT :p

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think anyone has taken your comments as trash or anything like that. You have been very respectful on this board. But that doesn't mean y'all are going to win, we are going to trash UT :p

Thanks, I felt it needed to be said bc I do feel a comfort level here, and realized that any one of my comments without any history of my other posts could be viewed as such. OK, back to it!

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm chalking this up to a W. Finally got some tickets, so can't wait to send Floppy Top home with a loss.

tn_1960_georgia-tech_vs_tennessee.jpg

UT has two guys that will more than likely start at DT. One is a 5 star recruit, who hasn't put it all together yet (from UT fan) he's a big strong guy but lacks "get off" he is also coming off of surgery as well. The other DT was a 3 star (we all know that doesn't mean much) he had a decent year last year and is around 6'3 295. Their best DT might not play because of injury his name is Tuttle. They also have a DE that had off season shoulder surgery. from what UT fans have told me, their CB's are their weakness. They have some pretty atheletic LB's but some think the older more seasoned LB's might start because they know the system better, those guys are not as fast and athletic.

Imo if Tuttle can not play, and the less athletic LB's start, we should have a good game with Mills up the middle (not saying we will have a bad game if Tuttle play and the other LB's play). For us to win I think Mills will be a big part In doing so.
Most stellar defensive linemen are gifted physical specimen, that have been taught since Pop Warner to attack, penetrate, and swarm to the ball. Our system neutralizes, and even punishes those instincts. Unless they are some very special players like Adrian Claiborne in the Orange Bowl, or B.J. Raji, I think CPJ will find a way to exploit them.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I've been watching replays of Tech's games last year. So far I've only gotten through UGA (Had to start there. Searcy!) and UNC. Any context behind that UNC game? Was it just an off day for the jackets with untimely penalties and turnovers? And which game from last year was the best in your opinion of when they were clicking on all cylinders?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've been watching replays of Tech's games last year. So far I've only gotten through UGA (Had to start there. Searcy!) and UNC. Any context behind that UNC game? Was it just an off day for the jackets with untimely penalties and turnovers? And which game from last year was the best in your opinion of when they were clicking on all cylinders?
I don't think we ever hit our stride last year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We put up a lot of yards on UNC, turnovers hurt and then playing from behind hurt imo.

I would go watch Kentucky, Vandy, Duke, Pitt, Virginia and GA southern to see how well the offense is when it's clicking. Miami game we were ok minus the two fumble 6's.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Both our starting QB and our starting C were out the next game. IIrc, they didn't finish the u[sic]nc game and could've/should've probably come out sooner.

So, with our D phoning it in, we couldn't keep up.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We had:

24 first downs
518 yards total offense (374 rushing)
5 minutes more TOP
and still lost

Why? We spotted them 14 points on turnovers. They had 636 yards total offense (353 passing) and only punted once.

Bottom line: UNC was a very potent offensive machine last year and we were particularly bad against really good passing QBs in 2016. Still, no turnovers and this would have been a pretty even game. Sort of like our games against da U and Pitt. Turnovers really do determine close games.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@gtvol ... The Tax slayer bowl is a good example and KU plays an offense like UT (UT has better players though). GT's passing was a little off for this game.

UGA would be a good 2nd look.

To be honest the Virginia game and Duke were not great games for GT... other than all that matters which is a big W.

UNC was an off day and CPJ was calling a game to run the clock to keep the defense off the field. The defensive players requested the DC to take out the million checks so they can play faster (simplify a little).