Tennessee Game 1

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Serious question because you bring up something I've never thought of. I've really only paid attention to the teams GT play but not that team the game AFTER. What detrimental effects would take place on a defense for games played after Tech? Just the time NOT spent on preparing their usual scheme?

I guess my thought was that they are spending a lot of time on a non-conference game. Also, history shows that losing early in the season is preferable to losing late in the season. Therefore, losing to GT would not be the death of their season. With those things considered, they may be better served by focusing more on their upcoming conference opponents like UF on 9/16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I have a play book of bear Bryant from 1975 and he uses the term chop block as a type of block that we would probably use cut block today. The playbook defines it as "Open field bock on men in the secondary by throwing your body (extended at his throat)". I would upload the whole thing but the site says it is too large. I think when some of the coaches use the term they are not trying to say the blocking is illegal it was just the term they learned to call it by. Of course I think some do use it for other purposes and the fans just think all reference to it is illegal because it is the official term for an illegal block.

Thanks. This is good info. My understanding is that a chop block is when one offensive lineman engages a defensive player high on the body while another offensive lineman engages the same defensive player low on the body. This is illegal. However, cut blocks are when an offensive player attempts to engage a defensive player low on the body only. Often, little to no contact is made with the defender as they are able to dodge the block but the block still disrupts their attack angle.

The coach probably didn't mean any harm in using "chop" and "cut" synonymously but it gives fans that don't know the difference the ammunition to call our guys dirty. I'm holding him to a higher standard because he knows the difference and the negative connotation that this carries. Cut blocking is legal and they are doing their job. If the fans, players, and coaches don't like that it's legal, change the rules. Every time we play UGA and win, this is one of the first things a UGA will point out. Same thing happened with UK after the Tax Slayer last year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="GT_05, post: 322745, member: 3489]

I read another article that stated UT had spent 1/3 of the offseason preparing for GT. If that's true, the other teams in the SEC East should all send us a Christmas card this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

We really do get most teams very best effort to beat us, it's almost like they would rather lose to ANyone other than a triple-option team

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks. This is good info. My understanding is that a chop block is when one offensive lineman engages a defensive player high on the body while another offensive lineman engages the same defensive player low on the body. This is illegal. However, cut blocks are when an offensive player attempts to engage a defensive player low on the body only. Often, little to no contact is made with the defender as they are able to dodge the block but the block still disrupts their attack angle.

The coach probably didn't mean any harm in using "chop" and "cut" synonymously but it gives fans that don't know the difference the ammunition to call our guys dirty. I'm holding him to a higher standard because he knows the difference and the negative connotation that this carries. Cut blocking is legal and they are doing their job. If the fans, players, and coaches don't like that it's legal, change the rules. Every time we play UGA and win, this is one of the first things a UGA will point out. Same thing happened with UK after the Tax Slayer last year.

You are right about what the rule book defines it as and I agree with you trying to explain it to fans does get annoying. I was just trying to point out that some of the coaches that use it are not using it maliciously.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@gtvol
Hoke's comments are pretty typical coach speak regarding our scheme IMO.

That whole thing is a bit blown out of proportion. We do some things more than others do, pull guards, focus more on Oline blocking the 2nd level, cut, etc. Those nuances have to be accounted for just like different nuances of other schemes have to.

Football fundamentals are fundamentals though. It's just as important to read keys and stick to assignments vs us as vs other teams.

An advantage we have is a play caller who has mastered his scheme and seen about every tactic out there thrown against it. So we usually have an advantage when personnel on the field are fairly evenly matched.

If you want to see some stud Dline play vs us and how we react to it see LSU V GT peach bowl (ugh we are cursed in that bowl), GT v Iowa Orange Bowl, GT v BC (unknown year but BJ Rahji and another DT gave us fits), GT v Pitt and Aaron Donald, GT v Maryland and Joe Vellano.

Those Dlines and DTs are probably the best examples of games where we struggled personnel wise against a team and how we countered them. (Quite often by trying to run away from them but with a lack of or marginal success in those games.)

Also Clemson last year in the first half...dominated us across the board that half.

Ok now that you have brought to mind all those headaches....you owe me a beer.

I expect a close tough game against the vols. I don't expect their Dline to equate to the performances I cited above however.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
@gtvol
Hoke's comments are pretty typical coach speak regarding our scheme IMO.

That whole thing is a bit blown out of proportion. We do some things more than others do, pull guards, focus more on Oline blocking the 2nd level, cut, etc. Those nuances have to be accounted for just like different nuances of other schemes have to.

Football fundamentals are fundamentals though. It's just as important to read keys and stick to assignments vs us as vs other teams.

An advantage we have is a play caller who has mastered his scheme and seen about every tactic out there thrown against it. So we usually have an advantage when personnel on the field are fairly evenly matched.

If you want to see some stud Dline play vs us and how we react to it see LSU V GT peach bowl (ugh we are cursed in that bowl), GT v Iowa Orange Bowl, GT v BC (unknown year but BJ Rahji and another DT gave us fits), GT v Pitt and Aaron Donald, GT v Maryland and Joe Vellano.

Those Dlines and DTs are probably the best examples of games where we struggled personnel wise against a team and how we countered them. (Quite often by trying to run away from them but with a lack of or marginal success in those games.)

Also Clemson last year in the first half...dominated us across the board that half.

Ok now that you have brought to mind all those headaches....you owe me a beer.

I expect a close tough game against the vols. I don't expect their Dline to equate to the performances I cited above however.

Another one you missed was vs Utah and Star Lotulelei. That kid was good

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: Mercedes-Benz Stadium roof won't be in use for Chick-fil-A games
“Mercedes-Benz Stadium will open as planned on August 26 and the building will be magnificent," an AMB Group spokesman told Atlanta NBC affiliate 11Alive. "As we informed the GWCCA (Georgia World Congresss Center Authority) board today, the roof will be in closed position for our opening events while some remaining work to fully automate the retractable portion of the roof is completed.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't quite understand why they needed to make this decision so far in advance. Isn't it supposed to open and close in 9-12 mins?
Seems reasonable to me. They aren't saying they can't get it open by then. I believe the article said that the system requires at least 40 days of testing before they can use it occupied. The 40 days of testing didn't start until construction was complete, which only happened a few days ago. They can't test when it is occupied, so in order to use the stadium for United, Falcons, and college games, they have to close it and suspend testing. That will probably add another 10-15 days. So at this point it will be at least 50 days until the system is approved to be used while the stadium is occupied.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
247: Jones talks prepping for unique Georgia Tech
“Very, very talented football team, and the best O-line that they’ve had, I believe, since they’ve been there,” Jones said of the Yellow Jackets. “We all know the many issues and the edge that they have in which they play with, and we’re gonna have to play complimentary football. Our offensive players have to know they’re probably gonna have 40 snaps in the game. That’s it. So what we’re used to, we get 40 snaps in a half. Now we’re gonna get 40-45 snaps in an entire game."
“It is a great challenge, because you have to implement your base defense that you’re gonna use 11 out of the 12 weeks,” Jones said. “So, you have to get that in, and then you have to completely change your entire mindset of getting ready for something entirely different, the different scheme that we’re gonna play, all of those things, and then kind of go back and forth. We’ll never mix and match with our preparation with Georgia Tech, where we’ll have 15 periods of base defense, and then three periods of preparation with Georgia.

“We have days scheduled where all of our emphasis will just be on Georgia Tech, and it’ll be a great challenge.”

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great offenses always present unique challenges to any D. Our O this year will I think present that problem to most Ds. In part because of utilizing a somewhat unique scheme. Has even more to to with our Jimmies and Joes imo.

Hoke is a clown. PJ is already effing with his head. :D

Defensive coaches often complain about cut blocks from triple option teams. Not Hoke.

When you get chopped is when you’re not doing your job or you’re slow doing your job or your eyes aren’t where they’re supposed to be and you’re not reacting to that key,” Hoke said. “Guys that get chopped are the ones that take their eyes back to the guy that’s going to chop them and then you get chopped.
I am skeptical of any person that gets paid to coach at the highest levels of college football that can't discern between a cut and a chop. He's either an idiot, or like Frank Beamer, a charlatan.