Tennessee Game 1

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
OK so will the rest of the Tennessee fans . :)

upload_2017-7-19_9-31-27-png.2629

This is actually a legitimate reason for GT fans to sit quietly during the game.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hoke is a clown. PJ is already effing with his head. :D

Defensive coaches often complain about cut blocks from triple option teams. Not Hoke.

When you get chopped is when you’re not doing your job or you’re slow doing your job or your eyes aren’t where they’re supposed to be and you’re not reacting to that key,” Hoke said. “Guys that get chopped are the ones that take their eyes back to the guy that’s going to chop them and then you get chopped.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
When you get chopped is when you’re not doing your job or you’re slow doing your job or your eyes aren’t where they’re supposed to be and you’re not reacting to that key,” Hoke said. “Guys that get chopped are the ones that take their eyes back to the guy that’s going to chop them and then you get chopped.

Ok so if he used the term "cut" instead of "chop", is he wrong?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I paraphrased this article earlier, but here is the link with an interview of Tennessee's DL coach, Brady Hoke about preparing for the triple option:

http://gridironnow.com/brady-hoke-georgia-tech-triple-option/

I know it won't dissuade any confidence about CPJ, but wanted to know any thoughts about Hoke's statements. Is this coach speak typically associated with game prep for GT?

The frustrating thing about this article is a coach using the terms "cut blocks" and "chop blocks" synonymously. Two entirely different blocks and one is illegal (chop blocking) and one is not (cut blocking). Aside from that, I don't think anyone at UT is looking forward to facing our offense but I have heard coaches say they "welcome" the challenge in the past.

I read another article that stated UT had spent 1/3 of the offseason preparing for GT. If that's true, the other teams in the SEC East should all send us a Christmas card this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I paraphrased this article earlier, but here is the link with an interview of Tennessee's DL coach, Brady Hoke about preparing for the triple option:

I know it won't dissuade any confidence about CPJ, but wanted to know any thoughts about Hoke's statements. Is this coach speak typically associated with game prep for GT?
Lemme at at 'em, he sez. Scooby Doo. What happens when the dog catches a car?

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I read another article that stated UT had spent 1/3 of the offseason preparing for GT. If that's true, the other teams in the SEC East should all send us a Christmas card this year

Serious question because you bring up something I've never thought of. I've really only paid attention to the teams GT play but not that team the game AFTER. What detrimental effects would take place on a defense for games played after Tech? Just the time NOT spent on preparing their usual scheme?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Serious question because you bring up something I've never thought of. I've really only paid attention to the teams GT play but not that team the game AFTER. What detrimental effects would take place on a defense for games played after Tech? Just the time NOT spent on preparing their usual scheme?
I think someone posted some stats a while ago that showed teams collectively have a losing record the week after playing GT.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The frustrating thing about this article is a coach using the terms "cut blocks" and "chop blocks" synonymously. Two entirely different blocks and one is illegal (chop blocking) and one is not (cut blocking). Aside from that, I don't think anyone at UT is looking forward to facing our offense but I have heard coaches say they "welcome" the challenge in the past.

I read another article that stated UT had spent 1/3 of the offseason preparing for GT. If that's true, the other teams in the SEC East should all send us a Christmas card this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a play book of bear Bryant from 1975 and he uses the term chop block as a type of block that we would probably use cut block today. The playbook defines it as "Open field bock on men in the secondary by throwing your body (extended at his throat)". I would upload the whole thing but the site says it is too large. I think when some of the coaches use the term they are not trying to say the blocking is illegal it was just the term they learned to call it by. Of course I think some do use it for other purposes and the fans just think all reference to it is illegal because it is the official term for an illegal block.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
If you're not bright enough to used the term properly I have a hard time taking what you say seriously. Yes, he's right but I'm not going to give him a world of credit, most blocking schemes are designed to disguise and influence the D's reaction.

Fair enough.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@gtvol Watch how Clemson deals with cut blocks on the edge. They are able to keep the ball and the block in view, deal with the block, maintain their feet, and get to the ball.

If you are focused on the ball and or assignment only, the cut blocker will take you out. Blind side cut blocks are perfect. If you focus only on the cut block, you may take bad angles getting to the ball or assignment.

He may be talking about linemen. A lineman needs to focus more on his keys. GT often cuts the backside DL.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

It's unfortunate about the cut/chop language although pretty common.

Sometimes the threat of a cut block is pretty effective if a guy is focusing on looking out for it. They may hesitate and even avoid the block to make a tackle, but it'll be 4 yards from the LOS and aren't appreciating how powerful that is for us, especially when across the 50 when any reasonable 4th down will be attempted. The cuts and crackbacks from the skill positions (AB and WR) are also big in the passing game since people will either leave a cushion or find themselves 5 yards from a guy that ran pass them when they were expecting to be blocked.

IMO a DL that can make aggressive moves to evade the initial block and get across the LOS causes more havoc than one playing straight-up with good technique. An important piece is a LB or safety who can play side to side and eat up the AB or QB when the ball goes outside. We try to block these guys with a crackback or a pulling guard, but a standout player is hard to block when you're trying to get to them from 5 yards away.