Tennessee Game 1

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Finebaum today ranked GT over TN as the Number 7 upset of the year.
Somebody please 'splain why that would rate as an upset? I have never been an acolyte of the SEC bias set, but this just made me one. That is pure SEC influence. Now I don't want to just beat 'em. I want them whipped badly enough so that any talk of "upset" is banished. Except, of course, by SEC whiners.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Somebody please 'splain why that would rate as an upset? I have never been an acolyte of the SEC bias set, but this just made me one. That is pure SEC influence. Now I don't want to just beat 'em. I want them whipped badly enough so that any talk of "upset" is banished. Except, of course, by SEC whiners.
Vegas has us at +3. That means if we win it is by definition an upset.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Guess which conference is not a fan of our coach. Really hope we pound these guys and they volunteer to take the wrong guy in the option every play.

Tennessee Can Silence Paul Johnson’s Criticism Of The SEC

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2017/8...aul-johnson-criticism-of-the-sec-georgia-tech

Shared from my Google feed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sounds like the author has a bad case of ACC envy and dipped toe deeply into the 'shine before penning the article

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Guess which conference is not a fan of our coach. Really hope we pound these guys and they volunteer to take the wrong guy in the option every play.

Tennessee Can Silence Paul Johnson’s Criticism Of The SEC

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2017/8...aul-johnson-criticism-of-the-sec-georgia-tech

Shared from my Google feed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Maybe my grasp of English is none too good, but exactly what is "ironic" about Tech playing Tennessee?

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
It's "ironical" that CPJ said they're 3-0 against SEC east opponents and we're next. Ha yeah pretty bad usage there.
However, I think he gives a lot of credit to the ACC and I agree. They're 2nd behind the SEC.
Here's why I think so: "you're only as strong as your weakest link"
Bottom 3 of every P5 conference?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Few will claim the SEC is a slouch. Most will recognize that they have been elite for a decade or better. What you will find arguments over is the so called "gap" separating the SEC from other conferences.

Over the past 3 years that gap between the ACC and SEC shrank but few in the mainstream are willing to recognize this. This is due to multiple factors.

Last year the ACC eclipsed the mighty SEC. no ifs ands or buts about it imo. Can the ACC maintain this lead now? Can the ACC stay on par? Time will tell. Head to head matchups will likely set the narrative a bit. I think the ACC has won that 3 years running now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's "ironical" that CPJ said they're 3-0 against SEC east opponents and we're next. Ha yeah pretty bad usage there.
However, I think he gives a lot of credit to the ACC and I agree. They're 2nd behind the SEC.
Here's why I think so: "you're only as strong as your weakest link"
Bottom 3 of every P5 conference?

Your perspective is interesting and imo in opposition to the reasoning the SEC has been lauded by the majority of the media as the premier conference over the last dozen years.