Tennessee Game 1

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
Their TE Wolf will invariably show up and have a big day. Seems all TEs have career days against us...

I'd like to see that. He hasn't had a "breakout" game in 3 years. Wolf is good, but we haven't had much success with receiving TE's. #2 is a converted MLB and #3 is a walk-on Wolf's little bro, built more like a WR

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When you have 4-6 Top 100 draft eligible players on your DL that will give anyone problems

That D was just nasty. Going into the game I thought we had a good chance against them; they looked beatable after their first two games. Then their D arrived and proved otherwise. That game convinced me Clemson would be in the playoffs....I was surprised when they got upset by Pitt but Pitt was pretty solid and I think that was just a down game for the tiggers.

Remembering their D last year gives me a headache.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech did win the 2nd half tho!
I told my wife that day that Dabo told his assistants at halftime to take their foot off the gas due to how highly he respects CPJ and Dabo not wanting to embarrass him, especially since some viewed CPJ to be on the hotseat at that time. Obviously I have no proof of this, but it just seemed to me, especially on offense, that Clemson held back the second half.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I told my wife that day that Dabo told his assistants at halftime to take their foot off the gas due to how highly he respects CPJ and Dabo not wanting to embarrass him, especially since some viewed CPJ to be on the hotseat at that time. Obviously I have no proof of this, but it just seemed to me, especially on offense, that Clemson held back the second half.
"Taking your foot off the gas" can have everything to do with winning the game and little to nothing to do with mercy on your opponent. Running the ball chews clock and limits possessions. This puts more pressure on your opponent to score and score quickly and take more gambles. It's just good game strategy if you ask me.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
"Taking your foot off the gas" can have everything to do with winning the game and little to nothing to do with mercy on your opponent. Running the ball chews clock and limits possessions. This puts more pressure on your opponent to score and score quickly and take more gambles. It's just good game strategy if you ask me.
I wish the falcons "took their foot off the gas"

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that taking the foot off the gas does not necessarily imply taking mercy and that that is a definite possibility to explain what happened, but I just got the feeling that day that that was what was going on. We had 20 something yards of offense in the first half. We were no threat to come back and win the game, no matter how many possessions they allowed us.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, no. I think Swinney is a good coach, an honest coach, and even if there is such a thing a compassionate coach. But if you want to get beat, stop playing hard. He was playing all out to win and it was Johnson's job to stop him. I asked a coach once why he kept some (basketball) starters in when the game was getting out of hand. He said it was because the other guy kept his in. "When he quits, I'll quit." So no, good thought, and I gather he does respect Johnson as one of 3-4 in the ACC he holds in such regard, but he wasn't letting up to make him look good. I can't think of anything that would embarrass Johnson more.

Deleted member 2897

I think he will still be technically right, since technically he said it by color and not by number of fans. Our dumbasses are going to show up in grey, navy, black, and who knows what garbage else. We will probably have a slight volume edge, but I bet by color it will be about 40% orange, 25% gold, 15% navy, 20% hodge podge of everything else.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, no. I think Swinney is a good coach, an honest coach, and even if there is such a thing a compassionate coach. But if you want to get beat, stop playing hard. He was playing all out to win and it was Johnson's job to stop him. I asked a coach once why he kept some (basketball) starters in when the game was getting out of hand. He said it was because the other guy kept his in. "When he quits, I'll quit." So no, good thought, and I gather he does respect Johnson as one of 3-4 in the ACC he holds in such regard, but he wasn't letting up to make him look good. I can't think of anything that would embarrass Johnson more.

As I recall, in the second half, Dabo pretty much kept his starters in for most of the half, but -- to this layman, Clemson seemed fairly vanilla on offense in the second half. The Tigers' offense didn't need to go deep in the playbook in the second half, given that their defense was suffocating our offense most of the game.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow

Admittedly, I only watched the game from the stands and deleted the DVR recording of it as soon as I got home, but from my recollection, it was quite clear that Clemson came off the throttle. Their offense seemed to completely abandon the big plays and went conservative in the second half. You can definitely disagree with my somewhat controversial opinion as for why Dabo did it, but I feel that it was pretty apparent that Clemson stopped playing all out.
As I recall, in the second half, Dabo pretty much kept his starters in for most of the half, but -- to this layman, Clemson seemed fairly vanilla on offense in the second half. The Tigers' offense didn't need to go deep in the playbook in the second half, given that their defense was suffocating our offense most of the game.

I noticed that Dabo kept his starters in as well. I thought it was quite odd considering the game was fairly out of hand. I thought that he would at least pull Watson to avoid any chance of him getting hurt again.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

You are absolutely right. you indirectly help the other coach without embarrassing him by running the clock, not letting up. Running the clock is a winning strategy and not a finger in the eye.