Tennessee Game 1

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Ahhh come on now. Join in on the conversation over at volnation nah haha I don't blame you. I've been a member there for a while and my post count is very low for how many years I've been a member. It's best just to enjoy football without all the excess chatter
I get that you are probably (by virtue of taking the time to come here and comment in a friendly manner) not representative of that board, but you must understand it's good fun for us :)

So, we're used to the ignorance about the system, and we're used to the usual misconceptions about defeating it from folks who have not played against GT, we're used to folks assuming having higher recruiting rankings means having a better team, we're even used to the whole "we're an SEC defense, we're too big and fast" for them. What is especially rankling about this time, is that Tennessee has not been particularly good in a particularly long time.

If it was Clemson or Alabama talking like this, or even like Florida State, that'd be one thing, but GT has been a significantly better team than Tennessee during Paul Johnson's tenure. It's like the kid who used to be tough, but then everybody else hit puberty and he did not, only he still thinks of himself as the biggest, baddest dude in the room. It's a little bit annoying, and a little bit sad, but mostly it's good for a laugh.

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I get that you are probably (by virtue of taking the time to come here and comment in a friendly manner) not representative of that board, but you must understand it's good fun for us :)

So, we're used to the ignorance about the system, and we're used to the usual misconceptions about defeating it from folks who have not played against GT, we're used to folks assuming having higher recruiting rankings means having a better team, we're even used to the whole "we're an SEC defense, we're too big and fast" for them. What is especially rankling about this time, is that Tennessee has not been particularly good in a particularly long time.

If it was Clemson or Alabama talking like this, or even like Florida State, that'd be one thing, but GT has been a significantly better team than Tennessee during Paul Johnson's tenure. It's like the kid who used to be tough, but then everybody else hit puberty and he did not, only he still thinks of himself as the biggest, baddest dude in the room. It's a little bit annoying, and a little bit sad, but mostly it's good for a laugh.
It's about time that you have finally seen the light and realized you are one of us. So many we're's in there instead of these guys are.
giphy.gif

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Just went to VolNation, so tempted to post but have held off so far. I found lots of gems, but here's a couple of particularly juicy ones:
I that that is just grand and I hope the players are reading it and talking about it. Every day. Several times every day. It is time to give the Volunteers some fake news and scare the knees out of them.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How about this beauty:

View attachment 2610
You know except for that boobery about ACC and Georgia which demonstrates this particular Vol fan doesn't read or watch many non-SEC games on TV, it is actually a pretty fair post. Might have thought with Kentucky and MSU playing Tech in bowl games the last two years he would have noticed.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I just wanted to jump in on the conversation about this game. I'm a UT grad, but my dad is a GT alum (class of 73' I think). I grew up watching/listening to football games every Saturday. Still have tons of respect and love for GT and this is a great opportunity for my dad and I to watch the game together in Atlanta.
I don't have any bold predictions for the game, but I think the vols will be underestimated this year. Their offensive line will be a surprising strength. Our defense certainly can't be as porous as the end of last year, so there is optimism there as well.
GT is a tough opener and having watched most of their games last year, I'm not feeling like this a cake walk at all.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I just wanted to jump in on the conversation about this game. I'm a UT grad, but my dad is a GT alum (class of 73' I think). I grew up watching/listening to football games every Saturday. Still have tons of respect and love for GT and this is a great opportunity for my dad and I to watch the game together in Atlanta.
I don't have any bold predictions for the game, but I think the vols will be underestimated this year. Their offensive line will be a surprising strength. Our defense certainly can't be as porous as the end of last year, so there is optimism there as well.
GT is a tough opener and having watched most of their games last year, I'm not feeling like this a cake walk at all.
Thx. X's and Os, what do you guys do? What does a successful UT game look like? What's your nightmare scenario? Tell me about your OL.

For gt, I'll assume you know the offense. Defensively, it's a bend but don't break scheme focused on not giving up the big play, and content to make you execute between the 20s. If you have an effective short passing game, your qb will have a big day. The corners bail 90% of the time. Roof tightens up inside the 20, but there's a real danger that the defense gets exhausted because they don't play aggressively to get off the field on third down.

The secret to stopping Georgia Tech has never been a secret: kick our *** at the line of scrimmage. We expect our offense of wine to be good this year, but sometimes you just run into a dude that you can't get blocked, and that dude can single-handedly wreck our game plan. Aaron Donald did it, Clayton from Iowa did it a few years ago, some random defense of tackle from Maryland back. if you've gotten ultraquick, ultra athletic defensive tackle and our guys can't handle it, you guys can hold us down.

Lacking that, you can constantly switch looks, hoping to confuse the qb, and slow down the decision making. This is bud foster's deal.

Similarly,if your offensive line can cram it down our defensive line's throat we don't really have an answer.

A team like Michigan is probably the worst matchup for Georgia Tech, Because they just lineup and try and out man you, and they can.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

I watched the UT and USCe game on you tube as well as the Vanderbilt game. I was impressed with their speed and athleticism. Injuries absolutely destroyed that defense by the time of the South Carolina game and it was pretty much downhill after that. I was not impressed with their linebackers. Offensive line could not generate any kind of push for the running game which was hampered by injuries to running backs. John Kelley seems to be a good one though. Dobbs is an enigma. Unbelievable one minute and then utterly ineffective for long stretches like in the Carolina game. Maybe, losing him is for the best. Anytime we play an SEC team I am always concerned about the speed of their defenses similar to Miami so we will see. Butch is under the gun no doubt about it. I can see this game as a more critical one for Tennessee simply because of the possibility of a season spiraling out of control with a turbulent and impatient, at times, fan base.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
Offensively: We run 3 WR and a TE. QB almost exclusively in shotgun with RB on right or left. TE is very integral in the run game. Past couple of years has been more of a zone blocking scheme with the OL however I expect to see more physicality up front. OL has a combined 111 starts among the 2 deep (misleading stat due to injuries) New OL coach and former lineman as Off. Coordinator should be beneficial to that group. Quick outs and hitches to the WR's, jet sweeps to suck the D in and set up more down field passing.
Defensively: 4-2-5 base, but will run more 4-3 against Tech. talented starting D-line, depth is a ?. Plenty of depth at LB, but unproven. Safeties and Nickel are sound with depth, but CB is a weakness. Def. Coordinator likes to blitz, but really can't bc lack of shut down corners.
2nd half vs Florida 2016 was the best football we collectively played.
South Carolina 2016 was the worst

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Offensively: We run 3 WR and a TE. QB almost exclusively in shotgun with RB on right or left. TE is very integral in the run game. Past couple of years has been more of a zone blocking scheme with the OL however I expect to see more physicality up front. OL has a combined 111 starts among the 2 deep (misleading stat due to injuries) New OL coach and former lineman as Off. Coordinator should be beneficial to that group. Quick outs and hitches to the WR's, jet sweeps to suck the D in and set up more down field passing.
Defensively: 4-2-5 base, but will run more 4-3 against Tech. talented starting D-line, depth is a ?. Plenty of depth at LB, but unproven. Safeties and Nickel are sound with depth, but CB is a weakness. Def. Coordinator likes to blitz, but really can't bc lack of shut down corners.
2nd half vs Florida 2016 was the best football we collectively played.
South Carolina 2016 was the worst
Quality post, thanks!

FWIW, many teams walk up the SS on us, so I wouldn't be surprised if what you guys end up aligned in is closer to a 4-4 (although some teams will have a look that mirrors ours on defense, with the MLB set deep, 7 or 8 yards behind the LOS in an effort to keep him clean and give him running lanes).

What kind of running game do you guys use? Power? Invert Veer? Backside Read Option?

You said quick stuff outside? Does that mean a lot of tunnel/bubble/2 man screens? Or more quickouts/slants/stick (TE) routes?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thx. X's and Os, what do you guys do? What does a successful UT game look like? What's your nightmare scenario? Tell me about your OL.

For gt, I'll assume you know the offense. Defensively, it's a bend but don't break scheme focused on not giving up the big play, and content to make you execute between the 20s. If you have an effective short passing game, your qb will have a big day. The corners bail 90% of the time. Roof tightens up inside the 20, but there's a real danger that the defense gets exhausted because they don't play aggressively to get off the field on third down.

The secret to stopping Georgia Tech has never been a secret: kick our *** at the line of scrimmage. We expect our offense of wine to be good this year, but sometimes you just run into a dude that you can't get blocked, and that dude can single-handedly wreck our game plan. Aaron Donald did it, Clayton from Iowa did it a few years ago, some random defense of tackle from Maryland back. if you've gotten ultraquick, ultra athletic defensive tackle and our guys can't handle it, you guys can hold us down.

Lacking that, you can constantly switch looks, hoping to confuse the qb, and slow down the decision making. This is bud foster's deal.

Similarly,if your offensive line can cram it down our defensive line's throat we don't really have an answer.

A team like Michigan is probably the worst matchup for Georgia Tech, Because they just lineup and try and out man you, and they can.

Our offense of wine will be good this year.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
What kind of running game do you guys use? Power? Invert Veer? Backside Read Option?

You said quick stuff outside? Does that mean a lot of tunnel/bubble/2 man screens? Or more quickouts/slants/stick (TE) routes?

Zone read/RPO. TE may slide down post snap for a lead block serving the function of power I formation.
A lot of bubbles. WR are fairly efficient at run blocking. Slants and Utilizing the TE more is what I would love to see.
Depending on who the starting QB is it may vary: Dormady has the ability to pick a part defenses through the air. Very accurate and polished pocket awareness. He has enough athleticism to be conscious of when he keeps the ball to gain 4-6 yards. Just enough to respect him. Guarantano is more mobile of the 2 but have no idea how he is a passing threat. Both QB's are unknown really

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

The secret to stopping Georgia Tech has never been a secret: kick our *** at the line of scrimmage. We expect our offense of wine to be good this year, but sometimes you just run into a dude that you can't get blocked, and that dude can single-handedly wreck our game plan. Aaron Donald did it, Clayton from Iowa did it a few years ago, DT Joe Vellano from Maryland, if you've gotten ultraquick, ultra athletic defensive tackle and our guys can't handle it, you guys can hold us down.

Fify.

Guys like Claymore, Donald, Vellano, BJ Rahji (spelling?) from BC (that other DT for BC was very good also) can't hold us down alone.....they need others for that, see Iowa game. But they can limit us quite a bit, by themselves, and make us play a bit one handed by taking away a lot of inside plays.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I been watching Tennessee all week long. As gtvol, pretty traditional spread team. #4 Kelly is good and a threat in the passing game, but not as dynamic as Kamaron. Appear to be a poor man UNC. Hopefully they do decide to be more zone heavy than play Power football. Thank god we don't have to deal wiTh Josh Malone but Jauan Jennings is legit(caught the Hail Mary over UGA).

Not sure about who is all coming back on Defense, but Tuttle is a guy who can cause problems for us at DT.

Been doing some research, and if I'm correct, the last option team the D.C. Shoop prepared for was Army in '11 while he was at Vandy. I can't find it, so if anyone does, can you please put the link in the comments. Could be very telling of how he will line up against our fronts