Tennessee Game 1

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I been watching Tennessee all week long. As gtvol, pretty traditional spread team. #4 Kelly is good and a threat in the passing game, but not as dynamic as Kamaron. Appear to be a poor man UNC. Hopefully they do decide to be more zone heavy than play Power football. Thank god we don't have to deal wiTh Josh Malone but Jauan Jennings is legit(caught the Hail Mary over UGA).

Not sure about who is all coming back on Defense, but Tuttle is a guy who can cause problems for us at DT.

Been doing some research, and if I'm correct, the last option team the D.C. Shoop prepared for was Army in '11 while he was at Vandy. I can't find it, so if anyone does, can you please put the link in the comments. Could be very telling of how he will line up against our fronts
He also was DC for Penn State against Army in 2015:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I been watching Tennessee all week long. As gtvol, pretty traditional spread team. #4 Kelly is good and a threat in the passing game, but not as dynamic as Kamaron. Appear to be a poor man UNC. Hopefully they do decide to be more zone heavy than play Power football. Thank god we don't have to deal wiTh Josh Malone but Jauan Jennings is legit(caught the Hail Mary over UGA).

Not sure about who is all coming back on Defense, but Tuttle is a guy who can cause problems for us at DT.

Been doing some research, and if I'm correct, the last option team the D.C. Shoop prepared for was Army in '11 while he was at Vandy. I can't find it, so if anyone does, can you please put the link in the comments. Could be very telling of how he will line up against our fronts
There's this.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan

I was curious about the same thing. The coaching changes that were made in the offseason that pertain to GT's offense:
Charleton Warren- DB coach: Spent the last couple of years with UNC playing against GT + he played for Air Force and coached for Air Force as well. Could lean on him for defending the option
Brady Hoke- DL coach: Some recent history going against Navy and Air Force at Ball State, San Diego St, and Michigan. He has stated that he loves preparing for the option. Really enjoys it. Makes for a more detailed and disciplined assignments. And if you're worried about getting chopped, you're gonna get hurt. Just gotta play with great eyes.

However though, nobody runs this offense as fast as PJ and the fact he calls his own plays from his head means he has a feel for what needs to be called and when. Very hard to prepare for.

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I like Tuttle and think he's our best DT when healthy, but he's been rehabbing a torn ACL that occurred during the USCe game last year. He's running and participating in some workouts now. I'd be surprised if he's ready by Sep. 4th.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Looks like with PSU he played the "miami" set, with the deep MLB (although it looked like initially they came out in a 4-3 under)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It's about time that you have finally seen the light and realized you are one of us. So many we're's in there instead of these guys are.
giphy.gif

I feel the same way, welcome ilovetheoption!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Kelly is a good runner but nowhere near the playmaker Kamara was. Their entire offense was pretty dependent on Kamara. The TE Wolf should be a huge playmaker for them but somehow disappears every game for 3 years and has problems with drops. He might have a better connection with Dormandy though.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Just finished watching and I got to say Shoop was very vanilla. With this being only 2 yrs old and coaches being creatures of habit I think this what we are going to get. A few observations

Alignment- The same, what I like to mirror front, alignment get from majority teams. OLBs inside leg splitting the DE 2-3yds from LOS, MLB back 7 yds, safety's playing at 9yds. 90% of the time they played Base with cover 3 or 4 behind it. They did occasionally cross dog and sent a blitzer when in trips from the backside

Scheme/Goal- appeared to be take away the pitch. Based on this game they used the safety to scream to the alley in the direction of Aback motion. If this is carried over two things I can assure you:

MJ would be the ideal QB for the game bc this will
be won in btw the tackles
Dedrick should have a monster game with the depth of the MLB and lack complexity of blocking assignment for the young Oline.

I'm ready for some foosball

gtvol

Georgia Tech Fan
I watched the GT vs Clemson game last year and it seemed to me that their Dline was really able to penetrate the LOS and disrupt mesh points and force quicker decisions from JT. I think that may be the only game I remember where GT got away from their gameplan early and passed more than usual. Was that due to more of being in 3rd and long situations? Also noticed a few corner blitzes from Clemson as well. My point is, I'm not aware of a scheme that defends the option, it's more on superior line play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I watched the GT vs Clemson game last year and it seemed to me that their Dline was really able to penetrate the LOS and disrupt mesh points and force quicker decisions from JT. I think that may be the only game I remember where GT got away from their gameplan early and passed more than usual. Was that due to more of being in 3rd and long situations? Also noticed a few corner blitzes from Clemson as well. My point is, I'm not aware of a scheme that defends the option, it's more on superior line play.
At half time they had 23 pts and we had 26 yds( iirc), so se changed. Imo they just played the first half with idea of stuff middle and press qb on option or pass . Then in second half they changed to keep stuff in front.
In both halves they had excellent athletes playing inside the defense that was called.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You are right. CPJ famously said "physical superiority cancels all plans..." (or something like that... does anybody know the actual words?)

Either a really, really good (and well coached) opposing DL or a really, really bad OL of our own would yield similar results. For a good sample of the latter, just rewatch the second team offense at the spring game. Lucky for us, our OL is pretty darn good and most teams don't have a dominating DL.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

When you have 4-6 Top 100 draft eligible players on your DL that will give anyone problems

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kelly is a good runner but nowhere near the playmaker Kamara was. Their entire offense was pretty dependent on Kamara. The TE Wolf should be a huge playmaker for them but somehow disappears every game for 3 years and has problems with drops. He might have a better connection with Dormandy though.

Their TE Wolf will invariably show up and have a big day. Seems all TEs have career days against us...