Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I live in Chattanooga Tn. But I have been a Tech fan for over 40 yrs. My stepson and his wife are huge Tn fans. I pray to God my Jackets win this game!!! I think Tech will probably start MJ in this one and I am okay with that. Our freshmen QB'S are gonna be very good, but it will take a few games for them. Tennessee's offense will drop off with new QB. I really like our chances in this game!!!
We have almsot always competed well against the SEC, save for LSU in that bowl game early on with Johnson. It's the only time I thought we were clearly outmatched. But I'm with you, because there is nothing finer or funnier than to be able to laugh at your kids for their foolishness.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
So arrogant. It's amazing to me how nearly every member of the SEC East thinks of themselves as a national title contender when they play in the weakest Power 5 conference. Just focus on winning your division first. Baby steps.

As for the cut blocks, I'm so sick of hearing we injure other players. The commentators yesterday focused so much on our cut blocking, that their "compliments" of GT's performance were always like, "Yeah, this offense is so hard to stop. A lot of it due to these lineman diving at your knees! Look at those grass stains on the front!" I'm considering monitoring injury reports of teams we play against next season. Just keeping track of people with nagging injuries and keeping up with reports after we play a team. Just need data to shove back in people's faces. CPJ even said that if anyone came to him with definitive data showing we injure players more often with our cut blocking than other teams, then he would coach to do otherwise.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
So arrogant. It's amazing to me how nearly every member of the SEC East thinks of themselves as a national title contender when they play in the weakest Power 5 conference. Just focus on winning your division first. Baby steps.

As for the cut blocks, I'm so sick of hearing we injure other players. The commentators yesterday focused so much on our cut blocking, that their "compliments" of GT's performance were always like, "Yeah, this offense is so hard to stop. A lot of it due to these lineman diving at your knees! Look at those grass stains on the front!" I'm considering monitoring injury reports of teams we play against next season. Just keeping track of people with nagging injuries and keeping up with reports after we play a team. Just need data to shove back in people's faces. CPJ even said that if anyone came to him with definitive data showing we injure players more often with our cut blocking than other teams, then he would coach to do otherwise.
I once emailed Ken S asking if he knew of a place to research those statistics. As far as I know there isn't a database.

Even if we have data to show people the response will be "they get banged up so they slow and cause us to lose but aren't bad enough to miss games"

It's a lose lose being an armchair expert is much easier than actually watching more than one game a week and looking at things.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sort of alluded to this in the Stoops thread and want to take it further. If someone is able and willing to splice together 1 minute "How to cut block" videos, using only clips of the opposing team's offense, I think the product would actually be pretty effective in slowing down the dumb narratives re: GT. The clips could include evidence of good/effective cut blocks vs. failed attempts/follies, just to drive it home. We have a whole offseason to do one for Tennessee. Unfortunately I don't think I fit the "able" part of the prerequisite.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sort of alluded to this in the Stoops thread and want to take it further. If someone is able and willing to splice together 1 minute "How to cut block" videos, using only clips of the opposing team's offense, I think the product would actually be pretty effective in slowing down the dumb narratives re: GT. The clips could include evidence of good/effective cut blocks vs. failed attempts/follies, just to drive it home. We have a whole offseason to do one for Tennessee. Unfortunately I don't think I fit the "able" part of the prerequisite.
That and a cut up of other teams getting penalized for chop blocking.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I was watching the uga vs tcu game and one of UGA's OL men had a nice cut block pulling around on a LB I believe. if I'm not mistaken it was a little before half time. It would be nice if someone made a video with a lot of the teams we play cut blocking.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We will have a new QB under center but chances are very high it will be MJ. And MJ is a veteran in our offense. New QB advantage....GT (see 2016 GT vpoly game)

MJ can win us games...and he'll get better with more snaps. If any of the freshmen (or Marshall) beats him, oh boy we may have a good one. If they don't, I'm VERY confident MJ can beat UT with our talented OL and deep stable of ABs and experienced WRs.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
UT will be breaking in a new QB as well. Unlike UT, I think CPJ will handle a new QB A LOT better than Butch Jones.

If our defense continues to play like we have been the last 4 games, we should have a really good team.
I agree with both statements. I think the defense will need to win the first 2 or 3 games, maybe it's me but it seems like it takes our offense a few games at the start of the season to get it's timing down.

I agree with both statements. I think the defense will need to win the first 2 or 3 games, maybe it's me but it seems like it takes our offense a few games at the start of the season to get it's timing down.
Remember, it took our defense 8 games before they got their "timing" down. As much as I hope it's going to be different next year, I'm not 100% sold on the D yet.