Tennessee Depth Chart

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we have to burn his red shirt, then we have too. We won't do it recklessly. Laskey lost a year, but it wasn't the end of the world.
We are needing a bb with a high ceiling to be ready by end of year and for next year.
Coach will play the guys to win the very next game but when he sees the betters young player is close to being ready he will play.
I hope w have the high ceiling players w o burning the shirts. Won't take long to find out.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
We are needing a bb with a high ceiling to be ready by end of year and for next year.
Coach will play the guys to win the very next game but when he sees the betters young player is close to being ready he will play.
I hope w have the high ceiling players w o burning the shirts. Won't take long to find out.
I personally expect Benson, Quaide, and Jerry Howard to get PT in the first game, and Ponchez to take a redshirt as long as nobody gets hurt for an extended period (although likely suiting up and practicing with the varsity). It makes sense to separate the two freshman class-wise if you have the ability, and I don't think anybody wants to go into the season with only 2 BBs ready.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I personally expect Benson, Quaide, and Jerry Howard to get PT in the first game, and Ponchez to take a redshirt as long as nobody gets hurt for an extended period (although likely suiting up and practicing with the varsity). It makes sense to separate the two freshman class-wise if you have the ability, and I don't think anybody wants to go into the season with only 2 BBs ready.
AGREE
BUT IMO
Who ever is bb needs to show some flashes without turnovers or next and the next will play. WE have to have a really good BB - ethier one guy or committee to be competitive w the p5.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What would you say are the major weaknesses of the starting LBs?
Seems like they're pretty good at stopping the run, do they just stink at pass coverage?
Hopefully BJS and TDR can step up, it baffles me our D coordinator coaches this position and is a great recruiter and LB is still a major weakness for us.
Bingo. I think our problem at LB has been that we don't have anyone fast enough to cover TEs and HBs on short routes. Opposing OCs have noticed this, of course, and try to eat us up with short routes over the middle, sometimes with success. This is why I think BJS will be playing a lot by the end of the year. With Mitchell and Vic (maybe; we'll see) we have the run stoppers. What we need is some speed in there to cover short routes. Vic hasn't played enough for me to see if he's the answer on that. BJS, oth, probably is. We'll see.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Out of the 5 freshman olineman are Clark and Quinney the only tackles? .... also Roof over Henderson....daddy ball!! Jk

I don't know. You might be right but one thing that stood out to me in looking at TD's high school film was how fast and decisive he played. He KNOWS where to go and what he is about. As instinctive as they come. I for one am not surprised by BJS emergence. You wait and see, this guy is the real deal.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Bingo. I think our problem at LB has been that we don't have anyone fast enough to cover TEs and HBs on short routes. Opposing OCs have noticed this, of course, and try to eat us up with short routes over the middle, sometimes with success. This is why I think BJS will be playing a lot by the end of the year. With Mitchell and Vic (maybe; we'll see) we have the run stoppers. What we need is some speed in there to cover short routes. Vic hasn't played enough for me to see if he's the answer on that. BJS, oth, probably is. We'll see.
This is why we sometimes play nickel even when there aren't 3 WRs.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
All this talk of speed at LB makes me wish we would try out CG at nickel corner. He is our best DB against the run, good in coverage, and brings the wood. I think Jalen Johnson or Kagawa could hold down SS opposite Gray.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know. You might be right but one thing that stood out to me in looking at TD's high school film was how fast and decisive he played. He KNOWS where to go and what he is about. As instinctive as they come. I for one am not surprised by BJS emergence. You wait and see, this guy is the real deal.
Haha no one knows what jk means. I wasnt being serious. And i agree on BJS im the one who told yaull he was looking good in practice when everyone assumed he wasnt doing good bc he had "alot to learn"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket and @GTNavyNuke

@AE 87 will be here soon to explain our talent level at LB has been fine since we have PJ in the NFL.

@33jacket ....I think your standard of "panning out" might be relatively high. Does "pan out" = all conf performance?

That's a lot of @s:wacky:

LOL. Well, there is that.

Seriously, though, I do question how well we can judge our talent when we don't know the scheme. Personally, I've seen at least 3 different linebackers make what seems like the same strange move (repeatedly) of rushing at the gap which is already being covered by a DL so as to leave another gap wide open for the RB to break through for big yards. Is that coincidence?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Seriously, though, I do question how well we can judge our talent when we don't know the scheme. Personally, I've seen at least 3 different linebackers make what seems like the same strange move (repeatedly) of rushing at the gap which is already being covered by a DL so as to leave another gap wide open for the RB to break through for big yards. Is that coincidence?

I know our DL are asked to dance and occupy, which should help the LBs....we are not a gap penetrating DL scheme...which can expose the LBs more

this is one reason why I am more frustrated with the LB play.

Ted's scheme has its faults, alot of them, but one should not be LB play.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
@33jacket and @GTNavyNuke

@AE 87 will be here soon to explain our talent level at LB has been fine since we have PJ in the NFL.

@33jacket ....I think your standard of "panning out" might be relatively high. Does "pan out" = all conf performance?

That's a lot of @s:wacky:

I don't know, I think I am out of energy with the D performance debate, until after game 1.

Pan out. PJ Davis panned out for sure. I think the austin twins are panning out despite no all conf performances. I think the same of griffin, and gray. They all have played well, consistent, and even if not flashy in spots really produce. I can't say the same for the LB. As an example, for me Pat Gamble panned out...good solid player, shot at the league, fought off injuries. tough reliable player. No wow games. No stinkers either.

we literally have watched games where the LB had no clue on how to defend a screen. Or in BM's case literally could not figure out how to defend power, or shed a block to get to his gap. Its really bad sometime.s..so its hard to say any of it is panning out....but like i said, this year, they could. Maybe it was truly youth or something...Not in Lewis's case. I mean, he is a senior and kinda fell into the spot. But for me, up to today, no the LB's have not panned out. There are there because we have to start someone.

And truly, I believe that is one reason why Ted is like, ok, my best 11 means less LB the better...and we see alot of 3 wr sets, so I will base more nickel. Its also why we are recruiting that position like heck. This is one area, you won't hear me say its not a talent issue. It is for sure. His scheme is lb friendly. So unless its a talent issue, then its bad coaching...bad development. But the scheme is not the issue for the LB play IMO.

So for me...thats what I am saying so eh.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

When we blitz we seem to have little coordination between dl and lb . This maybe the way coaches are organized. It seems like st are not allowed to deviate from a rush lane to open up a gap for lb.

In 15 at end of unc we moved 40 and e5 on to line as if to blitz. We then sent gray in between. The ol simply grabbed these three while q b went around the end that had no one . This was late in year. Too many mental errors that have no chance of working.
We will see our defense play a lot faster.

Last edited:

FlakJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know, I think I am out of energy with the D performance debate, until after game 1.

Pan out. PJ Davis panned out for sure. I think the austin twins are panning out despite no all conf performances. I think the same of griffin, and gray. They all have played well, consistent, and even if not flashy in spots really produce. I can't say the same for the LB. As an example, for me Pat Gamble panned out...good solid player, shot at the league, fought off injuries. tough reliable player. No wow games. No stinkers either.

we literally have watched games where the LB had no clue on how to defend a screen. Or in BM's case literally could not figure out how to defend power, or shed a block to get to his gap. Its really bad sometime.s..so its hard to say any of it is panning out....but like i said, this year, they could. Maybe it was truly youth or something...Not in Lewis's case. I mean, he is a senior and kinda fell into the spot. But for me, up to today, no the LB's have not panned out. There are there because we have to start someone.

And truly, I believe that is one reason why Ted is like, ok, my best 11 means less LB the better...and we see alot of 3 wr sets, so I will base more nickel. Its also why we are recruiting that position like heck. This is one area, you won't hear me say its not a talent issue. It is for sure. His scheme is lb friendly. So unless its a talent issue, then its bad coaching...bad development. But the scheme is not the issue for the LB play IMO.

So for me...thats what I am saying so eh.
Are you saying Ted chooses to run a 5-2 because he knows he cant recruit a dominant LB? Or maybe just a half assed LB, seeing as we have neither of which??

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying Ted chooses to run a 5-2 because he knows he cant recruit a dominant LB? Or maybe just a half assed LB, seeing as we have neither of which??

He is not running a 5-2. He is running a 4-2-5 and yes the extra 5th db (austion or jalen johnson) imo is better than the 3rd starting lb, especially considering pass happy teams on first down

We can recruit great lb at tech. So i dont think roof thinks that. But he hasn't recruited one yet. So. That says alot about his recruiting imo. Maybe finally after 5 years he has landed one in swilling?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Like I said before, there are very few great linebackers, even in the pro's. A **** Butkus or Mike Uremovich only comes along once a generation. Most of the really good high school linebackers end up as running backs in college.

Go Jackets!