Temple Post Game

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No we wouldn't have. When Johnson had this kind of OL problems he won 3 games.

We have the guys on the roster to replace the injuries in CPJs system. We didn't have them to begin with to run CDPs system.

If CPJ were still here we'd most likely be 3-1 right now. Miami, VT, and Pitt would be wins. UNC, NCSU, and Duke would be lean GT. UVA would be a likely loss and uga a definite loss.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'll be first in line to say I thought we'd be a LOT better than where we're at. Citadel and Temple should be wins. Instead we were a hustle play against USF from being winless right now. I had a LOT of faith in our QBs, but I did now OL would struggle. Both are struggling.

The most disappointing thing to me is we just don't seem to be doing anything on offense that tells me we have any progressional play calling in mind. We seem to be doing things willy nilly out there and hoping our guys are making individual plays. Our plays are not setting anything else up for better results, and our talent on offense isn't where guys can dominate individually.

The only thing that really irritates me is the insistence we run from the shotgun when it's obvious that our QBs are much more comfortable under center. If we were really playing t the players strengths we'd see more of this in the game plan, especially in short yardage situations. I just want to see Yates get a game or two this season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We have the guys on the roster to replace the injuries in CPJs system. We didn't have them to begin with to run CDPs system.

Really? Our walkons are good enough to play in Johnson's system without significant problems? Okay.

We won 7 games last year, were going to return one of the lowest amounts of production, have one of the youngest teams in the country, and played a harder schedule, and your minimum was a one game improvement?

Johnson left because he saw another struggling year and didn't want to put up with the same criticisms that he faced last year. He wasn't leaving behind an 8 win minimum team. That's absurd.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
After reading some of the posts in this thread, it occurred to me that with the struggles the OL is having, the coaches need to coach to make it easier on the OL to produce.

For those that clamor that the current players were recruited to run block. Then run the ball if that is what the kids can handle. Run traps and counter plays. Coach to what the kids can legitimately handle. Johnson did well with misdirection.

When the defenses ultimately attempt to shut down the run, don't over tax the OL with deep throws, use 3 step drops, then screens. How about some well blocked bubble passes.

It seems counter productive to try and put the square peg in a round hole. Tech has athletic QBs that may not be the quintessential passers. Use their ability for what they do well. (Have we seen a QB draw yet this year?)

I may be wrong on this, but if the coaching staff really is not running the ball because it does not fit the new 404 culture, then I have some issues.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Much too early to make those kinds of comparisons but Coach Collins has the support of the players who seem to genuinely like him and his staff. Poor Bill Lewis was targeted almost from the start. Coach Collins and his players can still turn this thing around but they best get to it with UNC coming up. Strange that the much maligned old fogey at Chapel Hill does not seem to be having a lot of transition problems.

I think that this is a really important point, but perhaps not for the reason you think.

We expect difficult transitions when it takes time for the players to buy-in with the new coach. We saw that, imo, when Ross came to Tech after previous assistants had been interviewed. We saw that, imo, at UVA when Bronco came with a complete change of culture. There have been hints of it at vippysue with Bud Foster having under-performing D's for the first time in decades.

However, I haven't heard of any such concern from our players and CGC.

While some of fans have been quick to throw our players under the bus, if it wasn't for an outstanding play by one of our DL, we'd be 0-4 right now. We were that great play away from losing to a USF team that lost to SMU 48-21.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm still cheering for CGC, and I want him and GT to succeed. I still think it's possible that things begin to click and that we keep the good and lose the bad. I just think that it's wrong to act like our results so far should be expected and accepted.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You want to go back over some of CPJs walk ons over the years? Yes, CPJ's walkons could have held their on to a degree.

Why just some of the walk ons? Let me guess, you really just want to point out the 2 or 3 walkons that made an impact while ignoring the however many that didn't and pretend like those exceptions paint an accurate picture of all of them.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After reading some of the posts in this thread, it occurred to me that with the struggles the OL is having, the coaches need to coach to make it easier on the OL to produce.

For those that clamor that the current players were recruited to run block. Then run the ball if that is what the kids can handle. Run traps and counter plays. Coach to what the kids can legitimately handle. Johnson did well with misdirection.

When the defenses ultimately attempt to shut down the run, don't over tax the OL with deep throws, use 3 step drops, then screens. How about some well blocked bubble passes.

It seems counter productive to try and put the square peg in a round hole. Tech has athletic QBs that may not be the quintessential passers. Use their ability for what they do well. (Have we seen a QB draw yet this year?)

I may be wrong on this, but if the coaching staff really is not running the ball because it does not fit the new 404 culture, then I have some issues.
Great post!

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
[QUOTE="lv20gt, post: 637000, member: 2299"

Johnson left because he saw another struggling year and didn't want to put up with the same criticisms that he faced last year. He wasn't leaving behind an 8 win minimum team. That's absurd.[/QUOTE]

Please enlighten us as to how you know the reasons Johnson retired. Did you have a conversation with him? Do you have a connection? Or just your opinion?

I agree that this team would not be a ranked team this year, and 8 wins a stretch. But could argue this team would have won at least 6 under Johnson.

I also thought Key would be an improvement over Sewak, but that does not appear to be the case. With the OL being the weakest link so far this year, I would now like to see game to game improvement by Key and the OL.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Please enlighten us as to how you know the reasons Johnson retired. Did you have a conversation with him? Do you have a connection? Or just your opinion?

Enlighten me to how you know this team could have won at least 6 under Johnson.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Reality is that the triple option gave us an offensive advantage with lower star athletes, hence citadel
Cpj was a master of coaching up those kids, but even last year it wasn't looking great on offense

We are now seeing how weak our o line is , and there is no saying how we would have done this year under cpj but seeing how last year went I highly doubt much better.

We are at least another season away from a decent o line,

I want to see improvements week to week on offense but frankly I'm doubting we will as we don't have a QB that has excelled in this style offense

Honestly the only thing I can see us doing is just reverting to a full option offense out of the shotgun like Georgia southern did for a season or two

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Cam

Helluva Engineer
That’s pretty bad. Someone ought to compare star rankings of these guys to the other transition OL at the beginning of the CPJ era.
I would but I’m busy all day.
The recruiting info from back then is a bit muddy, but I gave it a shot. Here's what I could find of that roster for guys who played snaps (NFL guys highlighted):
Nick Claytor (6'6" 312 lbs) - offers from Auburn, FSU, and Ohio State
Cord Howard (6'4" 315 lbs) - offers from Louisville and Ole Miss
Dan Voss (6'4" 290 lbs) - offer from Vanderbilt
Joseph Gilbert (6'4" 280 lbs) - no other P5 offers
Andrew Gardner (6'6" 309 lbs) - 2* Walk-on with offers from Duke and Wake Forest
Jason Hill (6'5" 260 lbs) - offers from Kentucky, UNC, and Vanderbilt
Austin Barrick (6'3" 242 lbs) - TE with offers from Vanderbilt, Duke, and Colorado
David Brown (6'3" 255 lbs) - DE with offers from Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is going to be a long 11 months. I hope it’s not a long 23 months or 35 months but my gut tells me it’s going to be 47 more months of pain. 59 months from now we better be ready to turn the corner or at least get close enough to see the corner.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The recruiting info from back then is a bit muddy, but I gave it a shot. Here's what I could find of that roster for guys who played snaps (NFL guys highlighted):
Nick Claytor (6'6" 312 lbs) - offers from Auburn, FSU, and Ohio State
Cord Howard (6'4" 315 lbs) - offers from Louisville and Ole Miss
Dan Voss (6'4" 290 lbs) - offer from Vanderbilt
Joseph Gilbert (6'4" 280 lbs) - no other P5 offers
Andrew Gardner (6'6" 309 lbs) - 2* Walk-on with offers from Duke and Wake Forest
Jason Hill (6'5" 260 lbs) - offers from Kentucky, UNC, and Vanderbilt
Austin Barrick (6'3" 242 lbs) - TE with offers from Vanderbilt, Duke, and Colorado
David Brown (6'3" 255 lbs) - DE with offers from Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt

IIrc, Claytor was back-up to Barrick at RT, and Voss was backup to walk-on DT Sean Bedford at Center. Those may be good examples of guys who weren't the best fit for CPJ's system.

I don't remember Hill or Brown playing much, but I wasn't consciously keeping track.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Reality is that the triple option gave us an offensive advantage with lower star athletes, hence citadel
Cpj was a master of coaching up those kids, but even last year it wasn't looking great on offense

We are now seeing how weak our o line is , and there is no saying how we would have done this year under cpj but seeing how last year went I highly doubt much better.

We are at least another season away from a decent o line,

I want to see improvements week to week on offense but frankly I'm doubting we will as we don't have a QB that has excelled in this style offense

Honestly the only thing I can see us doing is just reverting to a full option offense out of the shotgun like Georgia southern did for a season or two

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The OL and Key’s future is very interesting. Key was fortunate enough to coach some big boys with a lot of talent at Alabama but at GT can he 1) be an alchemist and turn lead into gold or 2) get the gold to come to GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Why just some of the walk ons? Let me guess, you really just want to point out the 2 or 3 walkons that made an impact while ignoring the however many that didn't and pretend like those exceptions paint an accurate picture of all of them.

I'll just leave it at this, CPJ had a history of walk-ons being able to contribute in his offense. Considering that walk-ons make up 23% of a full roster, and also considering that they rarely if ever see the field, the fact that there are a good number of them that did speaks volumes. If you are determined to believe that CPJ would have lost 9 games with this roster, then that is your prerogative. 2015 was due to more than just OL injuries. Even CPJ said that Laskey and Days made a mediocre OL in 2014 look great. Even then we were competitive. We aren't now.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most of us know that there will be a transition struggle. But, we are doubting that we have a coach or coaches that we need to successfully transition .

I know, I know... give him another year before we make a judgement. But, I only have the data I have. One of the problems is there is so little data.

Perhaps it’s the combination on a young team and a transition. But, the offense has no rhyme or reason. I do like what I see on defense. And I really disliked special teams last year.