Temple Post Game

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
We sure are lucky CGC was willing to burden himself with the worst job in the history of college football. A real masochist and saint. :rolleyes:

Not the worst job in history, but one of the most difficult/nearly impossible offensive overhauls in P5 football history. And I said "offensive coach" referring to OC... We complain about DP (rightfully so in some instances), but my point was that no established offensive guy would subject themselves to this turnaround job.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I was a big CPJ fan, and I support CGC now, but I _really_ would have liked to have seen what CPJ could do with the added recruiting resources. I'm sorry he left before we had those data points, although I agree it may have been time for some new blood.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
And if "More money! More money!" was the answer, USCe would be perennial top 15 and Clemson wouldn't be top 10.

Its been pretty well documented that Clemson's success since 2012 has paralleled the increase in spending from their athletic department, specifically geared towards football > Facilities, Coaching and Recruiting Budget. Money when spent correctly will help create a culture like Clemson where they have a great leader who is capable of surrounding himself with (and retaining) coaches like Venebals. They don't have to spend the most money though I think they are top ~15 in football.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Nothing like throwing the players under the bus. The imbibers never seem to tire of that.

I was making the assertion that no offensive coach with a reputation would willingly take on this overhaul. The two position groups I mentioned--QB and OL--are so far below the average P5 team that the playbook is so severely limited to the point where we can't score. There's a difference between throwing players under the bus and pointing out the areas in which a roster is deficient.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Unfortunately, losing our starting center, that was already playing hurt, is only going to make it worse. We have the worst luck with offensive linemen.

Animal02

Banned
Given all the circumstances ($, roster, fan support, institutional committment, etc.), we were not getting a proven, brand name coach. It's not the worst job in the history of the world, and I really believe that you are smarter than that but we were going to have to reach on this hire. Hyperbole to prove a point has the opposite effect to most readers and that isn't directed solely at you btw. It is common in so may posts nowadays.

Although he hasn't proven himself, I am glad that we had a guy who was willing to take the chance and is trying a new approach. Will it work? That remains to be seen. With this roster, maybe a vet coach may have squeezed out 1 or two wins so far to date but I don't know really how that changes much. I don't recall a lot of people being fired up that we made whatever bowl that was last year in Detroit. I would have thought the way we were manhandled by a pretty average Big 10 team would have tipped our hand to the personnel issues that we have. And that excludes the OL injuries to date. I am waiting til year 3 before I reach any conclusions. If you believe that there is enough data now to cast your vote, that is your prerogative. I am not a fanboy or apologist btw. just maybe more patient than most here?

I generally do not have a problem with taking a chance on someone and a new approach.......but it should not have been at a proven coaches salary level and certainly not on such a long contract.

As for Detroit.....I am not so sure about being manhandles because of roster as much as motivation.

The team thought (as well as fans) that they deserved better than Detroit.....which I agree
There was much uncertainty as to where the returning players would fit into the incoming system.
Not to repeat myself......but having to spend Christmas in DETROIT!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
What proven offensive coach in their right mind would've wanted to take over this roster? No true P5 QB/passer to be found. OL skillset and depth (even before injury) was pitiful. Without a QB and OL, the effectiveness of the decent surrounding cast of skill players is mitigated. If you are coaching this bunch, you'd better be near perfect because you're set up to fail.

We need to take as many OL as we can get and we need to sign Gleason. In addition to Gleason, we need at least 1 grad-transfer QB for next season.

To answer your question, Tony Elliot, arguably one of the most successful OC's in college football as well as a lights out recruiter very familiar with the Atlanta area, was very interested in the job but was never contacted.

It's shameful how you and don't other posters continue to bash our student athletes.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
I generally do not have a problem with taking a chance on someone and a new approach.......but it should not have been at a proven coaches salary level and certainly not on such a long contract.

As for Detroit.....I am not so sure about being manhandles because of roster as much as motivation.

The team thought (as well as fans) that they deserved better than Detroit.....which I agree
There was much uncertainty as to where the returning players would fit into the incoming system.

Why do you think he got 7 years? Largely because the turnaround will take time due to the roster overhaul. CFB coaches knew the degree of difficulty lying ahead for the next Tech coach, most of us fans in including myself were more optimistic.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To answer your question, Tony Elliot, arguably one of the most successful OC's in college football as well as a lights out recruiter very familiar with the Atlanta area, was very interested in the job but was never contacted.

It's shameful how you and don't other posters continue to bash our student athletes.

It goes back to my earlier point....the guy had no HC experience iirc. We were going to have to reach.He may haven proven to be the next Lombardi. But, at the time, I didn't want to role the dice on a guy with absolutely no experience. I think the guy has potential but would encourage him to leave the comfort of his current job to be a HC somewhere if he wants to coach a P5 team. We have seen that CGC is still learning and he has 2 years under his belt.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan

If not a talent differential, then that all sounds like a failure of coaching to get the players prepared.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

It's shameful that you and other posters consider my objective opinion that our QB and OL position groups are lacking or depleted to the point where it makes it tough to gameplan or score points as "bashing" our SAs. I never called a single name.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
It goes back to my earlier point....the guy had no HC experience iirc. We were going to have to reach.He may haven proven to be the next Lombardi. But, at the time, I didn't want to role the dice on a guy with absolutely no experience. I think the guy has potential but would encourage him to leave the comfort of his current job to be a HC somewhere if he wants to coach a P5 team. We have seen that CGC is still learning and he has 2 years under his belt.
I agree he didn't have experience and I think at the time, CGC was the logical decision. I was merely pointing out that that is a proven offensive coach who was willing to come here, which is the root of my dispute with the op

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
Why do you think he got 7 years? Largely because the turnaround will take time due to the roster overhaul. CFB coaches knew the degree of difficulty lying ahead for the next Tech coach, most of us fans in including myself were more optimistic.

Vegas had a better idea too. Truly objective people outside the program saw with clarity the challenges CGC is facing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sean Bedford's comments on the radio show were revealing. Basically, the entire team is a bunch of freshman to this O and no one on the OL was recruited for the style of blocking that's expected. He was impressed with what we are trying to do on offense.
Bedford is a former GT player (played for PJ in 2009-10) so I don't think he's got any agendas - he just supports the team and is more knowledgeable of it and its challenges than any poster on any of these msg boards, except for other former players.

Note: Those are HIS words and opinions. Don't bother shooting the messenger here. I just listened to the radio show.

He also isn’t being paid to be completely impartial. Not saying it’s his full time job. But he is an insider. I wouldn’t want him to be impartial and I don’t expect him to be.

I don’t care what any former letterman says. 1-4 with a loss to a horrible Citadel team is awful performance so far.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Are we allowed to ask what he’s basing this on? This is absurd ex post facto nonsense. 12 months ago no one mentioned him. Now he’s the real reason behind the one outlier class in the history of the program? Good lord.

You wanna ask the person who was actually there and probably 1 out of 40 players that got to spend time with CGC, knows him genuinely, and experienced a transition of culture and overhaul an offense & defense

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan
He also isn’t being paid to be completely impartial. Not saying it’s his full time job. But he is an insider. I wouldn’t want him to be impartial and I don’t expect him to be.

I don’t care what any former letterman says. 1-4 with a loss to a horrible Citadel team is awful performance so far.

I've yet to hear any fan or observer of GT football attempt to excuse the loss to the Citadel. Kinda beating a dead horse in a world already full of Alpo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Given all the circumstances ($, roster, fan support, institutional committment, etc.), we were not getting a proven, brand name coach. It's not the worst job in the history of the world, and I really believe that you are smarter than that but we were going to have to reach on this hire. Hyperbole to prove a point has the opposite effect to most readers and that isn't directed solely at you btw. It is common in so may posts nowadays.

Although he hasn't proven himself, I am glad that we had a guy who was willing to take the chance and is trying a new approach. Will it work? That remains to be seen. With this roster, maybe a vet coach may have squeezed out 1 or two wins so far to date but I don't know really how that changes much. I don't recall a lot of people being fired up that we made whatever bowl that was last year in Detroit. I would have thought the way we were manhandled by a pretty average Big 10 team would have tipped our hand to the personnel issues that we have. And that excludes the OL injuries to date. I am waiting til year 3 before I reach any conclusions. If you believe that there is enough data now to cast your vote, that is your prerogative. I am not a fanboy or apologist btw. just maybe more patient than most here?

Hyperbole has come from CGC. That’s what I was poking fun at. I haven’t called for CGC to be fired. What I have said is this is a horrid start and no excuse absolves the bad coaching job so far.

Btw...Minnesota was pretty solid last year and they are currently unbeaten, and might have been on the verge of being pretty darn good.

A hell of a lot better than the Citadel!

Btw...their OC would make our transition this year a lot less “monumental.”

Last edited: