Temple Post Game

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude, believe what you want to believe. You’ve already made up your mind anyway. We have plenty of time to find out was is true and what is not.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying anyone has lied. I’m saying that it’s odd that something that was never mentioned is being brought up in his defense. And candidly, he lost to the Citadel, so perhaps unless or until he actually does something that isn’t humiliating to my alma mater, I’ll be of the belief that the burden of proof is on him.

It was talked about when he was hired. Nothing to do with defending the Citadel loss for me. Separate issues.

GTFLETCH

Banned
The sad thing is these last two games should have been winnable games. It is going to get a lot tougher from here on out. Now we need to quit with all these cute slogans and hype and settle down and coach the guys up. Should be enough material to make it a lot better than we have. Nobody thought it was going to be easy, but nobody thought it should be this hard.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
The sad thing is these last two games should have been winnable games. It is going to get a lot tougher from here on out. Now we need to quit with all these cute slogans and hype and settle down and coach the guys up. Should be enough material to make it a lot better than we have. Nobody thought it was going to be easy, but nobody thought it should be this hard.

Your post leads me to what is worrying me.

Great recruiters, but can they develop talent. And adjust scheme in game. Or come up with a great game plan after a bye week.

So far that is a big "no".

Animal02

Banned

Great recruiters, but can they develop talent. And adjust scheme in game. Or come up with a great game plan after a bye week.

Yeah.....several posters here have convinced themselves that recruiting is the answer to all of Tech's problems. If recruiting stars was the answer, FSU would be a perennial top 15.

GTFLETCH

Banned

At this point it doesn't look like Coach Collins is going to be able to do much with the talent he has, so the recruiting will drop sharply, and fast, if that trend continues. Miles Brooks has real, actual offers (Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State) so he's going to flip — you can bank on that. And once he does, Bryce Gowdy will follow. There goes your four-stars

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah.....several posters here have convinced themselves that recruiting is the answer to all of Tech's problems. If recruiting stars was the answer, FSU would be a perennial top 15.

No one is convinced that recruiting alone is the answer to all of Tech's problems, that's a strawman. Many are convinced that pairing better recruiting (relative to where had been recruiting) with good coaching (equal to or better than we had when considering all three phases of the game) would bring Georgia Tech to the proverbial next level.

Animal02

Banned
No one is convinced that recruiting alone is the answer to all of Tech's problems, that's a strawman. Many are convinced that pairing better recruiting (relative to where had been recruiting) with good coaching (equal to or better than we had when considering all three phases of the game) would bring Georgia Tech to the proverbial next level.
No....several here believe it is all about and only about recruiting.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

We’ve seen only a hint of improved recruiting and not nearly enough good coaching so far. Hope the worm turns vs UNC.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Gerris Wilkerson (O’Leary year’s)
Derrick Morgan
Morgan Burnett (brother played at uga)
Josh Nesbit
DJ Donley
Roddy Jones
Jonathon Dwyer

Those are a few that I KNOW CGC helped reel in. I was very close to people in the football Dept at the time. Yes, Gif was the coordinator in title...if you ask anyone that was close to the situation they would all tell you that Collins is the reason.

Am I happy with how this season is going? Heck no! I think we will have several 3 Stars get the extra star and maybe one of the two stars get bumped to a three.

I have known Jonathan Dwyer most of my life. I can tell you confidently that CGC was just as big of a reason behind Dwyer’s decision to come here as Giff Smith.

He was excited about the hire, too, FWIW.

My confidence in CGC recruiting is the only thing keeping me somewhat sane after these last two weeks.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
No....several here believe it is all about and only about recruiting.

That’s a stretch to say several believe it’s all about recruiting.

I do believe recruiting is 60+%, and I’m someone that likes CPJ and liked that we had a tactical advantage.

I’ve also been excited to see some early signs of improved recruiting with this new staff.

Not everyone is starkly on one side or the other.

For those that are, though, going from CPJ to CGC sets up pretty much the perfect experiment to prove whether GT, in this current era of college football, needs a tactical advantage (CPJ’s offense), or can recruit with the big boys and win running what pretty much everyone else does.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I do believe recruiting is 60+%, and I’m someone that likes CPJ and liked that we had a tactical advantage.

I’ve also been excited to see some early signs of improved recruiting with this new staff.

For those that are, though, going from CPJ to CGC sets up pretty much the perfect experiment to prove whether GT, in this current era of college football, needs a tactical advantage (CPJ’s offense), or can recruit with the big boys and win running what pretty much everyone else does.

Bottom line. Tech has to support this new staff on par with our peers. CPJ was a better XO coach than the vast majority of our competition. Lack of support doomed him to inconsistent seasons and a lower ceiling than necessary.

I think CGC will recruit better generally. But even if he’s a better recruiter than the vast majority of our competition, he will be doomed to inconsistency and a lower ceiling than necessary without near peer support and resources.

If TStan can’t provide that we need to find someone who can. Maybe it’s not possible.

Animal02

Banned

It is a matter of recruiting, coaching, and academics. ( for now....waiting for the California thing to shake out). CPJ did modestly well while being handcuffed with a small recruiting budget and the academics. I am not convinced that recruiting will ever overcome the academic hurdle,. and am definitely not sold on the coaching ability.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
What proven offensive coach in their right mind would've wanted to take over this roster? No true P5 QB/passer to be found. OL skillset and depth (even before injury) was pitiful. Without a QB and OL, the effectiveness of the decent surrounding cast of skill players is mitigated. If you are coaching this bunch, you'd better be near perfect because you're set up to fail.

We need to take as many OL as we can get and we need to sign Gleason. In addition to Gleason, we need at least 1 grad-transfer QB for next season.

Animal02

Banned
What proven offensive coach in their right mind would've wanted to take over this roster? No true P5 QB/passer to be found. OL skillset and depth (even before injury) was pitiful. Without a QB and OL, the effectiveness of the decent surrounding cast of skill players is mitigated. If you are coaching this bunch, you'd better be near perfect because you're set up to fail.

We need to take as many OL as we can get and we need to sign Gleason. In addition to Gleason, we need at least 1 grad-transfer QB for next season.
Nothing like throwing the players under the bus. The imbibers never seem to tire of that.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan

And if "More money! More money!" was the answer, USCe would be perennial top 15 and Clemson wouldn't be top 10.

99in99

Georgia Tech Fan

Sean Bedford's comments on the radio show were revealing. Basically, the entire team is a bunch of freshman to this O and no one on the OL was recruited for the style of blocking that's expected. He was impressed with what we are trying to do on offense.
Bedford is a former GT player (played for PJ in 2009-10) so I don't think he's got any agendas - he just supports the team and is more knowledgeable of it and its challenges than any poster on any of these msg boards, except for other former players.

Note: Those are HIS words and opinions. Don't bother shooting the messenger here. I just listened to the radio show.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We sure are lucky CGC was willing to burden himself with the worst job in the history of college football. A real masochist and saint. :rolleyes:

Given all the circumstances ($, roster, fan support, institutional committment, etc.), we were not getting a proven, brand name coach. It's not the worst job in the history of the world, and I really believe that you are smarter than that but we were going to have to reach on this hire. Hyperbole to prove a point has the opposite effect to most readers and that isn't directed solely at you btw. It is common in so may posts nowadays.

Although he hasn't proven himself, I am glad that we had a guy who was willing to take the chance and is trying a new approach. Will it work? That remains to be seen. With this roster, maybe a vet coach may have squeezed out 1 or two wins so far to date but I don't know really how that changes much. I don't recall a lot of people being fired up that we made whatever bowl that was last year in Detroit. I would have thought the way we were manhandled by a pretty average Big 10 team would have tipped our hand to the personnel issues that we have. And that excludes the OL injuries to date. I am waiting til year 3 before I reach any conclusions. If you believe that there is enough data now to cast your vote, that is your prerogative. I am not a fanboy or apologist btw. just maybe more patient than most here?