Temple Post Game

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand why people are upset. I was told that Nick Saban lost to ULM in his first year. Who cares if the team got beaten by an FCS school that Samford currently has 55 points against? Who cares that the team just got shut out offensively by Temple? So what if Temple just gave up 38 points against Buffalo last week? Why is anyone worried about P'nut shaking a magic 8-ball to call plays?

This is the largest transition in the history of college football! Who cares that Willie Fritz was able to go 9-3 (8-0) at Georgia Southern during the exact same type of transition? Who cares that Georgia Southern was playing their first year in the FBS at that time? That pales in comparison to this transition, which is the largest, most amazing, and most difficult transition in the history of college football! CGC and P'nut are doing the most amazing coaching job ever, and anyone that expects to win games anytime before 2025 needs to keep quiet and get on board.

Now, please excuse me while I practice my team dance moves for money, flava', holla down next weekend. #404 #money-balla-money #flatbill #wafflehouse

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
GT got screwed by the Oliver fumble into the endzone at the half yard line, that changed the momentum of the entire game.

We also got screwed by the random Graham hand injury? I still don't understand what happened there, but that ended up leading to the Oliver second fumble which was a scoop and score (I don't blame Oliver for either fumbles it was just for tackling by Temple and luck on their side).

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Well, silver linings...

We remain near the top of the NCAA in fewest penalties and no dumb dead ball penalties today. Lot of hot takes about the new culture's affect on penalties last week. Hopefully those folks are as loud this week.

As I said previously we'd have been an underdog at Temple last year. We were certainly bigger dogs this week based on the transition and what we showed so far this year. If we played cleaner with the football, we cover and have a game.

I like what I saw out of the O. I think we are challenged no matter what we try to do if we can't block. For every glimmer of "good arm" or "good option read" we showed "INT/overthrow" and "stuffed in the backfield". Really hard when you can't block, but I felt there was progress this week.

GT 18 first downs, Temple 17 first downs
GT 305 yards offense, Temple 322 yards offense
Disagree

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Pass defense was actually really solid today. Russo was 9/22 for 126 yards and an interception. Similar performance to when we shut down Trevor Lawrence. The problem is we can't stop the run. NCAA cost us when they inexplicably didn't give Clayton his waiver.

It's strange how much we struggle in the red zone. We moved the ball well at points and just couldn't finish. I'm liking Graham a lot, he needs to be the QB moving forward. J. Griffin also looked really solid running the ball, so did Dontae Smith. We need to get them more involved. Not a good day for Mason. O-line is getting pushed around a lot, which is another reason to play Graham and just roll him out every pass play.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Well, silver linings...

We remain near the top of the NCAA in fewest penalties and no dumb dead ball penalties today. Lot of hot takes about the new culture's affect on penalties last week. Hopefully those folks are as loud this week.

As I said previously we'd have been an underdog at Temple last year. We were certainly bigger dogs this week based on the transition and what we showed so far this year. If we played cleaner with the football, we cover and have a game.

I like what I saw out of the O. I think we are challenged no matter what we try to do if we can't block. For every glimmer of "good arm" or "good option read" we showed "INT/overthrow" and "stuffed in the backfield". Really hard when you can't block, but I felt there was progress this week.

GT 18 first downs, Temple 17 first downs
GT 305 yards offense, Temple 322 yards offense

Wow that is really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a silver lining...

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Was it 5 trips to the red zone?
2 turnover on downs and 3 turnovers.
They moved the ball on a top 10 defense but didn’t cash it in.
I just want to see JG at QB, and let him grow in the position.
Defense was in some rough spots but continued to play through. I saw maturation.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Of the last 5 FBS coaches to return to play against their former team in their first year, CGC is the only one not to win.

I think I heard during the game that 1987 FSU was the last team to hold GT to fewer than 3 pts. 1987 FSU was a better team than 2019 Temple.
Small thing, but this reminded me, we went for it twice on 4th down and fairly long in the first half in the 45-50 yard FG range. Despite our offensive challenges, I thought it was a higher % call than the alternative. Just an opinion based on what I've seen.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, this passing the ball stuff isn't very fun to watch. You'd think that we might want to ease into considering....ya know we've been running the ball 60 times a game for the past 11 years, but don't be shocked to see us throw it 50 times against UNC next week! Coach P sure knows what he's doing.

Well, I wonder when the last time was we did not score a TD....probably Bill Lewis.
Question is Jordan Mason hurt. He barley played today and that is problem
Graham may be the guy going forward but we have got to run the ball. His passing was about like Oliver's.
We no longer know how to run block.
Maybe we can beat Va Tech but we are looking at some ugly games going forward.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s a work in progress. Give CGC time to do what he intends, we will get there. Slowly.
Exactly, just like the slow moon walks that the players conduct on the sidelines, it's just a matter of years before we're able to score offensive points against Temple and beat Citadel. Do you want to join me this week for dance lessons? I've been working on my footwork and fist pumps to prepare for money, flava', holla down. I'm even considering buying a flat-bill hat and popping my collar to ensure that my hashtags are epic.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Small thing, but this reminded me, we went for it twice on 4th down and fairly long in the first half in the 45-50 yard FG range. Despite our offensive challenges, I thought it was a higher % call than the alternative. Just an opinion based on what I've seen.
Double edged too because they had better field position after as well.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Well, I wonder when the last time was we did not score a TD....probably Bill Lewis.
Question is Jordan Mason hurt. He barley played today and that is problem
Graham may be the guy going forward but we have got to run the ball. His passing was about like Oliver's.
We no longer know how to run block.
Maybe we can beat Va Tech but we are looking at some ugly games going forward.
In the postgame show, they commented that Mason didn't go back into the game and that Kenny Cooper also was hurt (again/more) and unable to play a good bit last part of the game.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m glad CDP took the fans advice, played to our “strengths” lol. There was a reason TO was being shuttled in and out. Defense solid today, but must be great. Both TDs were dilute Campbell not staying outside.
We are talented but it is not in the right places. Defoors & Southers show why they had to move of from their previous programs and i thought Kenny Cooper was going to get TO killed.

give James the reigns and let him work

Having no FG kicker is killing us

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly, just like the slow moon walks that the players conduct on the sidelines, it's just a matter of years before we're able to score offensive points against Temple and beat Citadel. Do you want to join me this week for dance lessons? I've been working on my footwork and fist pumps to prepare for money, flava', holla down. I'm even considering buying a flat-bill hat and popping my collar to ensure that my hashtags are epic.

No. I am working on my blues guitar playing. I am getting a lot of practice. By this time next year, I plan to move on to funk with a few classy wins. Followed by the heaviest metal around the year after. We should score often.