Temple’s Collins Hate

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
After reading several of the Temple bloggers posts, and the back and forth here in this thread, I think some of us missed the bigger picture in the article. (Actually two or three articles that were linked)

The bloggers main complaints were:

1. CGC is more style than substance.
2. CGC focused recruiting in the south and not in the Greater Philly area like previous staffs at Temple.
3. CGC "misused" an RB/FB that the blogger was big on.

My thoughts on each:

1. He might well be but it is too soon to tell. He has only been a HC for two and a half years so we really haven't seen what a program he runs is capable of long term. He certainly is big on flash, but that doesn't inherently mean he doesn't have "substance." As has been stated before, if GT allows him ($$) to hire the right assistants, then he can be style all day long ala Dabo Swinney. Not a make or break for me right now.

2. This is a win for us. I'd much rather we leverage his connections here than recruit Greater Philly.

3. Non-issue for us atm. Someone here will get butthurt before it's over because a player we love will get underused. It happens with every staff. Gotta trust the coaches. They make their living trying to win ball games.

Overall, I think the blogger probably has a real concern via Temple with #2. Rhule actually had better recruiting classes than CGC did there, so it's a legit complaint, but I think a lot of that is CGCs connections are down here and it's probably not an easy sell to get a southern boy to Temple. Again, though, that doesn't affect us at GT.

The big picture is that they predicted GT snagging CGC a year ago. Lends credence to the "dream school" talk CGC laid out for us, and gives us hope he's in it for the long haul.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I had some initial reservations that he was a used car salesman. The longer I have seen his methods, and how his former and current players react to him, I think he does genuinely care for his players.

I think back to when Jimbo Fisher moved to Texas A&M and his coaches were putting out similar tweets about getting players accolades/to the NFL and it was almost unanimous that the FSU players said "This guy did nothing for me." Kind of validated my opinion that Jimbo was all about himself and what could you do for him.

Animal02

Banned
After reading several of the Temple bloggers posts, and the back and forth here in this thread, I think some of us missed the bigger picture in the article. (Actually two or three articles that were linked)

The bloggers main complaints were:

1. CGC is more style than substance.
2. CGC focused recruiting in the south and not in the Greater Philly area like previous staffs at Temple.
3. CGC "misused" an RB/FB that the blogger was big on.

My thoughts on each:

1. He might well be but it is too soon to tell. He has only been a HC for two and a half years so we really haven't seen what a program he runs is capable of long term. He certainly is big on flash, but that doesn't inherently mean he doesn't have "substance." As has been stated before, if GT allows him ($$) to hire the right assistants, then he can be style all day long ala Dabo Swinney. Not a make or break for me right now.

2. This is a win for us. I'd much rather we leverage his connections here than recruit Greater Philly.

3. Non-issue for us atm. Someone here will get butthurt before it's over because a player we love will get underused. It happens with every staff. Gotta trust the coaches. They make their living trying to win ball games.

Overall, I think the blogger probably has a real concern via Temple with #2. Rhule actually had better recruiting classes than CGC did there, so it's a legit complaint, but I think a lot of that is CGCs connections are down here and it's probably not an easy sell to get a southern boy to Temple. Again, though, that doesn't affect us at GT.

The big picture is that they predicted GT snagging CGC a year ago. Lends credence to the "dream school" talk CGC laid out for us, and gives us hope he's in it for the long haul.
WRT #2, the Temple alum I talked with said Collins did not "fit in" with recruiting scene in the Philly area......one reason why I said the alum confirmed what the blogger had stated. Now this could be a chicken / egg situation.....he didnn't fit with the Philly scene so he when to his roots, or he went to his roots which turned off the Philly area recruits.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
WRT #2, the Temple alum I talked with said Collins did not "fit in" with recruiting scene in the Philly area......one reason why I said the alum confirmed what the blogger had stated. Now this could be a chicken / egg situation.....he didnn't fit with the Philly scene so he when to his roots, or he went to his roots which turned off the Philly area recruits.

I don't think it matters to us. If their beef with him is where he's recruiting from, then it's a win for us.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I agree. My main point was that the alum I talked to confirmed what the blogger was saying. Of course too many posters here simply wanted to hand wave away the entire article because it soured their koolaid.
I’d say that it was more because it doesn’t matter. He’s our coach and I would expect the fans he left behind to have a problem with him.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You would say that because far too many posters like yourself pick a side and bury your head in the sand to anything contrary.
No I say it because I don’t care what other fan bases think about coaches we hire away from them. I didn’t care what people thought about Paul or anyone else we’ve ever hired. Why would I?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
You would say that because far too many posters like yourself pick a side and bury your head in the sand to anything contrary.

I guess maybe my post unintentionally helped stir up a hornets nest, the post after Animal's post about the Temple grad was tongue-in-cheek and meant as a rallying cry for all of us to get behind our current program/staff.
IMO, everybody has their own opinion, but I think we need to lighten-up on the CPJ love/hate ...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No I say it because I don’t care what other fan bases think about coaches we hire away from them. I didn’t care what people thought about Paul or anyone else we’ve ever hired. Why would I?

Did you care about what Auburn fans thought about Ted Roof? People that have worked with him previously keep hiring him for DC. Most recently at App St.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Did you care about what Auburn fans thought about Ted Roof? People that have worked with him previously keep hiring him for DC. Most recently at App St.
Nope. I don’t make hiring decisions and I support our staff while they are here with one exception. I admit I did turn on Chan after we lost the MD game after he played for a medium range FG.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nope. I don’t make hiring decisions and I support our staff while they are here with one exception. I admit I did turn on Chan after we lost the MD game after he played for a medium range FG.

I admit to turning on Chan because he lacked any sort of emotion to motivate players. I've heard he's a very good person though.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I would imagine a different reaction than that of other Temple fans to the blogger article, if one of us wrote similar stuff in ref to game day coaching, adjustments, and use of players, etc. after 2008/2009 and then Paul left for an upgrade. Wouldn't we have gone bonkers on the blogger? Temple posters---not so much.
I agree with ncjacket79 in that, it doesn't matter--he's ours now, and Jake's take on we need to lighten up on CPJ and for that matter CGC. If what the blogger says is true, it will be more than obvious by November and vice-versa.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I admit to turning on Chan because he lacked any sort of emotion to motivate players. I've heard he's a very good person though.
Was not crazy about Chan thought he was a nice person and he could beat Auburn. I really wish we could add Auburn back on the schedule but I also wish my wife could cook.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This. Plus having an offense that could score points.

I love high octane passing offenses like Mike Leach at Wazzu or any number of ridiculous offenses in the Big 12, but I really used to love when a defense would get mixed up against us and next thing you know an AB just ripped off a 40yd run.