Ted Roof's job

I am not necessarily in the fire Ted camp, I trust CPJ to make those decisions.

I struggle to understand our strategy on D. We have had good talent at Tech on D over the last few years. Several guys are playing in the NFL, so the cupboard has not been bare.

The results (defensively) don't match the talent IMO, and this transcends several DCs. We need to decide on an identity for our D that works for us. The current strategy is not generating the results we need to win. We need to change our strategy. Roof's scheme is sound on paper, but it is not in practice. Time to innovate and try something different.
I agree with all your points, except I think Roof has had more than enough time to come up with a scheme and strategy that produces results on the field.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm in the camp of fire cpj IF he doesn't fire roof. I have seen people defend roof over and over again and blame cpj, but guess what, cpj has shown he can be successful. Show me where roof has done that? A national championship that had cam newton as the QB? And was out of the top 30 in Deffense? Just because you win a national championship doesn't mean you are good at what you are doing. pen state? Ok, a team he inherited that was already a good D? Please someone show me where he has been successful. If he turns things around I would be fine but I haven't seen it happen yet. You can say he's our best recruiter all you want but it obviously hasn't helped us that much, he's had 4 signing classes and we are still getting this stuff. So if something doesn't change I'm finally ready to say cpj needs to be fired because it's his responsibility to hire the right guys. I wish we could hire les miles and then have cpj as our offensive coordinator lol.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm in the camp of fire cpj IF he doesn't fire roof. I have seen people defend roof over and over again and blame cpj, but guess what, cpj has shown he can be successful. Show me where roof has done that? A national championship that had cam newton as the QB? And was out of the top 30 in Deffense? Just because you win a national championship doesn't mean you are good at what you are doing. pen state? Ok, a team he inherited that was already a good D? Please someone show me where he has been successful. If he turns things around I would be fine but I haven't seen it happen yet. You can say he's our best recruiter all you want but it obviously hasn't helped us that much, he's had 4 signing classes and we are still getting this stuff. So if something doesn't change I'm finally ready to say cpj needs to be fired because it's his responsibility to hire the right guys. I wish we could hire les miles and then have cpj as our offensive coordinator lol.

Roof is terrible.

He's got a national championship ring for a reason. Groh won a super bowl for a reason. Guys at some point you have to realize there's common denominator for all 3 DCs. And good lord you don't fire your best recruiter.
Roof's got a national championship ring because of Cam Newton, not because of his D. I don't follow pro ball, so I can't comment on Groh's super bowl, but he didn't do squat as DC at Tech.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We just don't have a winning attitude with these players. If you can not line up and make a yard on fourth and one you do not deserve to win. You have to want it more than the opponent and a lot of our guys just don't have that in them. Until we get more that do, things are going to be status quo. Coaches can only do so much. At some point the guys between the lines have to make it happen.

Go Jackets!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We just don't have a winning attitude with these players. If you can not line up and make a yard on fourth and one you do not deserve to win. You have to want it more than the opponent and a lot of our guys just don't have that in them. Until we get more that do, things are going to be status quo. Coaches can only do so much. At some point the guys between the lines have to make it happen.

Go Jackets!
100% agree

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
I don't agree with this, it's called football you win some and you lose some. Do you honestly think the guys weren't giving it their all on that play? come on man the big dude made a big play.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I definitely was good with going for it on 4th down, especially giving it to Mills as he has shown an ability to get the tough yards. (I think he and Lynch will be fun to watch together over the next 2 1/2 years.) This game was frustrating because the defense didn't seem in it all game. I blame this on the coaches more than the players, as the scheme seemed way too passive. At the same time, we're not really rolling full steam on the offense either - though we seem closer these past couple of games.

I had hoped for a much better year, but I will keep cheering them on and hope for better results as we go along. I have been a Tech fan since I was a kid - over 50 years - out of a family of UGAg fans. I know all too well the pain that bleeding Gold & White can cause. I also know the joy. When I was younger, a loss like this would send me into a funk for several days. Now I'll just be bummed for a day. I am proud of our kids and believe they won't quit.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow

Go Jackets!

You are very right! I remember a lot of complaining amongst GT fans when CPJ regularly grabbed a player by the face mask or jersey and "loudly" let him know he screwed up, and that it better not happen again. Well, I guess when coach is continuously called out by fans and the media for being an embarrassment, or too aggressive towards young men, this is what you get. The team plays soft, and seems to no longer fear the consequences of making silly mistakes or giving less than 100% effort. But you got your wishes; CPJ has been very sweet to the boys, and has been very respectful on the sidelines! I for one am ready to see the CPJ of 08-10 on the sidelines again!! I think we would see an immediate change in attitude and a lot of the silly mistakes would be cleaned up very quickly!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Go Jackets!

Add that we shouldn't be allowing teams to convert 1st and 25... of course that would be helped in the D-line was able to presser a passer on a regular basis...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Really? Why should we be in the top 30 for recruiting? No coach at Tech has ever been consistently in the top 30. It is the most fertile recruiting ground and every program in the country recruits here. I would love to be top 30 in recruiting and have a consistent top 25 team but no coach has been able to do it in 50 years. Sure we can change coaches and DC's, but it's the same results. I'm on board with the crowd that says its at a much higher level. Here's to hoping the new AD hire is the beginning of the change that needs to take place.

Our recruiting is non existent. If you benchmark against what the other Top 25 programs do, it's anemic. Totally fixable, if you want to fix it though.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I've got a question for those who know the details of football better than I do. Wouldn't an aggressive defense be the best combination with our offense? We run a ball control offense made to sustain long drives and keep the opposing offense on the sideline. Which naturally builds a sense of urgency in them, which makes them prone to mistakes while trying to do too much. A bend but don't break allows the offense to get into a groove as they're allowed short yardage, which gives them confidence. This opens up more opportunities for big plays. In theory, a highly aggressive defense would force the offense to panic more and make more mistakes. We may give up big plays, but we'd force more turnovers and create more stops given the opposing offense's psyche. Am I wrong in thinking this?

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
I've got a question for those who know the details of football better than I do. Wouldn't an aggressive defense be the best combination with our offense? We run a ball control offense made to sustain long drives and keep the opposing offense on the sideline. Which naturally builds a sense of urgency in them, which makes them prone to mistakes while trying to do too much. A bend but don't break allows the offense to get into a groove as they're allowed short yardage, which gives them confidence. This opens up more opportunities for big plays. In theory, a highly aggressive defense would force the offense to panic more and make more mistakes. We may give up big plays, but we'd force more turnovers and create more stops given the opposing offense's psyche. Am I wrong in thinking this?
No you're not!