Ted Roof's job

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
TR was DC at Duke when Carl Franks was fired after getting beat like a drum in Durham midseason--something like 56-0. TR was made the interim HC and then he gets made HC when Duke upsets GT (I was at the game). It was all downhill after he became HC at Duke. Was okay at Auburn as DC when they had Cam. Then decent at Penn St before he came back to GT. Not impressive anywhere he's been in my opinion. He was a good player for us. I'll give him that.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It's called recruiting, gentlemen.
Yep. Please no more quarterbacks playing defensive back, more speed and toughness at linebacker, and more size and pass rush ability up front. Personally, with this recruiting class I would go all out and recruit nationally defensive linemen and linebackers. I would hope that we could recruit better but maybe not. This might be as good as it gets. Which is not a pleasant prospect.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm done venting today after this game. We just lose too many close games under PJ. I guess we can blame it on mediocre to poor defenses over the years but it sure has gotten to be the same old story. This game was so much like the Pitt game last year to lose it at the end on a FG. This game was a bend and then break. Tough loss to swallow. PJ may try to blame it on the defense but it is just as much on him this time. I'm done. Glad I didn't get season tix this year, that 6 and 1/2 hour drive is seems really long after a loss.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
He's got a national championship ring for a reason. Groh won a super bowl for a reason. Guys at some point you have to realize there's common denominator for all 3 DCs. And good lord you don't fire your best recruiter.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Help is on the way. Recruiting has picked up guys. We are a little undermanned right now but that won't last. Stay calm and don't hit the panic button just yet.
Bull****. We were in the ****ing 60s last year and we're in the 60s now. No i dont expect top 10 classes but being in the most fertile recruiting area in the country i do expect top 30.

Last edited by a moderator:

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Bull****. We were in the ****ing 60s last year and we're in the 60s now. No i dont expect top 10 classes but being in the most fertile recruiting area in the god damn country i do expect top 30.
Really? Why should we be in the top 30 for recruiting? No coach at Tech has ever been consistently in the top 30. It is the most fertile recruiting ground and every program in the country recruits here. I would love to be top 30 in recruiting and have a consistent top 25 team but no coach has been able to do it in 50 years. Sure we can change coaches and DC's, but it's the same results. I'm on board with the crowd that says its at a much higher level. Here's to hoping the new AD hire is the beginning of the change that needs to take place.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He's got a national championship ring for a reason. Groh won a super bowl for a reason. Guys at some point you have to realize there's common denominator for all 3 DCs. And good lord you don't fire your best recruiter.

Groh won a Super Bowl for a reason? Sounds pretty dumb. Spurrier and Saban sucked in the. NFL and dominated college football. Technically weis won super bowl rings and he's been the ****tiest college coach on earth. Stop acting like an ignaramous.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not necessarily in the fire Ted camp, I trust CPJ to make those decisions.

I struggle to understand our strategy on D. We have had good talent at Tech on D over the last few years. Several guys are playing in the NFL, so the cupboard has not been bare.

The results (defensively) don't match the talent IMO, and this transcends several DCs. We need to decide on an identity for our D that works for us. The current strategy is not generating the results we need to win. We need to change our strategy. Roof's scheme is sound on paper, but it is not in practice. Time to innovate and try something different.

What, you think a fourth DC is the key? The problem is Johnson.
And you think the 9th HC in almost 50 years is the key? It's the constant carousel of HC's that got us to where we are today. Until last year, Johnson had done as well overall as any of the previous 7, other than Ross's NC. So you want to start all over again and "rebuild" for 3 or 4 years before we're even back to the level we're at now? Not me.