TECH VS MIAMI POSTGAME

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
We are suffering from the years with the clown at the helm, but we also are suffering from lack of talent. QB throws are just a little off, WRs have trouble getting separation, linemen are getting overpowered, DBs are a little slow and often give too much cushion and are slow to close on the ball. When you are not as talented as the other team, the best play-calling in the world can only get you so far. At some point, players have to make more plays than the other team does. The next HC needs to be able to recruit size, speed, toughness and talent and then be able to coach like a solid football coach. Tall order. I hope JBatt chooses wisely.
Summed up very nicely. Simply put, we are not as talented as many of the ACC or other FBS Power Five and even other teams. No matter who is hired as HC, this will be another several years or longer rebuild, though the transfer portal may expedite, let's hope anyway.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Y’all want Jeff to go out there and play behind that sorry *** o-line that got Pyron hit a lot and got him hurt before too?? I’m not saying it’s right but I get where he’s coming from!!
Pyron got hurt running downfield and lowering his shoulder. It happened the play before the interception. You could see it on his face. That’s probably why it was thrown short. If he had slid the play before we probably would’ve had a TD on the flea flicker and tied the game.

Last edited:

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Jeff Sims isn't the best offensive player. Physically he is a beast, but mentally he is not. Jeff is blah player. Looks great in shorts and shells, but isn't a football player.

Jeff Sims is a bit like Reggie Ball. His best year was his first and I've seen no real improvement since. Ball was more of a gamer though.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
When I saw Pyron lower his shoulder and deliver/take that hit, I thought , “Oh man, that looked like a hard hit, I wonder if he could’ve been hurt doing that”, but he got up and showed no sign of pain and played the next snap, which of course turned out to be the interception. When he jogged off after the interception, he pointed to his non-throwing shoulder, and I knew he was hurt.

My question is, how can a qb take one routine, open field hit, albeit a hard hit, and shatter his collarbone, while running backs and linebackers and other position players take dozens of similar hits every game and don’t break bones? Are qb’s just so inexperienced at receiving contact that they don’t know how to brace and protect themselves? Or, was this just a fluke chance that happened to Pyron?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'd argue that our issue isn't talent. Wesley Wells, Jared Ivey, Jordan Domineck, etc. were good for us, but not heads and tails above the rest of our team. They would have moments where they shined, but were largely just mediocre contributors to poor performing teams. Now, they're shining for their new teams and part of high performing units. Similarly, we've had players who were starters on other P5 teams come here and look hapless.

Get a good coach, the roster problems will take care of themselves.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
When I saw Pyron lower his shoulder and deliver/take that hit, I thought , “Oh man, that looked like a hard hit, I wonder if he could’ve been hurt doing that”, but he got up and showed no sign of pain and played the next snap, which of course turned out to be the interception. When he jogged off after the interception, he pointed to his non-throwing shoulder, and I knew he was hurt.

My question is, how can a qb take one routine, open field hit, albeit a hard hit, and shatter his collarbone, while running backs and linebackers and other position players take dozens of similar hits every game and don’t break bones? Are qb’s just so inexperienced at receiving contact that they don’t know how to brace and protect themselves? Or, was this just a fluke chance that happened to Pyron?
He took a direct hit on the collar bone from the helmet. I guess there's little or no padding there? But he wouldn't be the first one to crack his clavicle.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

Man random stuff like that happens.

Ozzie Albie’s broke his foot swinging then trying to run to first. Didnt foul a ball off of it either. Sometimes the body just breaks.

Plenty of qbs have broken their collar bone by getting tackled.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
In the first half, I saw a lot of passes behind the line of scrimmage, and way too many where Pyron led Hall by too much and Hall didn’t catch it. Those plays should be high-percentage plays (usually for a couple of yards) and they ended up being nothing.

In a lot of our other passes, we had our receiver open by a few yards and Pyron threw the ball behind the trailing defender. Going into a winnable Miami game, my guess is that our receivers were much faster on game day than they were during the week and Pyron’s timing was way off (and even that seems like a weird guess).

Miami’s 6’5” free safety was a problem because he could high point passes and he just out-athleted us on deep balls. If the grad assistants didn’t see that on film then I’m disappointed. We didn’t look prepared for him.

The offensive line looked better yesterday, and Dontae Smith looked pretty good out there. Miami’s defenders have a ton of speed though, and that hurt.

I didn’t notice much out of Eley or Thomas yesterday. Maybe Miami had a good game plan, or maybe they had a bad day, or maybe I just didn’t notice them.

Clayton Powell-Lee is a good tackler. I thought he and White had good games. I’d like to see what comes back from the PFF grades.
Pyron wasn't as accurate as he had been in his previous two games, but a number of his passes were right on target to receivers got no separation and just weren't open. One of those days.

I thought this game was a lot closer than the score indicated. As someone else pointed out, if Pyron doesn't break his collar bone and throws a TD instead of an interception on the next play (the flea-flicker), it's a tie game. The short pass interception may well have been a result of the injury. Those two plays sealed our fate.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
On Sims, perhaps he was dressed out as a decoy to force Miami to do some game planning to defend him if he actually went into the game. I am neutral on Sims in terms of his contribution to the team. He really has not played enough to determine his true value. If he wants to transfer then he should. If not he can come back and try to compete for the job when he is able to play.

Go Jackets!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He took a direct hit on the collar bone from the helmet. I guess there's little or no padding there? But he wouldn't be the first one to crack his clavicle.
I have read in the past that most collarbone fractures in football are caused by forces directly from the shoulder and through the collarbone instead of lateral forces to the front of the collarbone. I think that article said most were caused be a player using his elbow to brace himself while being tackled. On the run, Pyron turned sideways and was hit almost directly on the side of the shoulder. But he was able to use his left arm on the next play.

I haven't seen anything "official" that says his collarbone is broken.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Get a good coach, the roster problems will take care of themselves.
Exactly. There are plenty of good high school players out there who want a D1 scholly. We will get some once the next coach shows competency. DB’s, LB’s, RB’s, and WR’s are a dime a dozen so we’ll be fine there. So once we get an actual coach we can get better quickly simply thru better execution. Then add in better players along the OLine and we can become an average team (I would say our defense is already at the average point as they’ve improved from dumpster fire after the other guy was fired). Right now our goal should be to become average on offense. Then by 2025 maybe we can look to become above average.

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Pyron wasn't as accurate as he had been in his previous two games, but a number of his passes were right on target to receivers got no separation and just weren't open. One of those days.

I thought this game was a lot closer than the score indicated. As someone else pointed out, if Pyron doesn't break his collar bone and throws a TD instead of an interception on the next play (the flea-flicker), it's a tie game. The short pass interception may well have been a result of the injury. Those two plays sealed our fate.
He has been suffering from a couple of different injuries, one since the FSU game. It just has progressively gotten worse. He tried to power through it all, but it ultimately got the best of him. He will get better and become an even better passer, I’m extremely confident in that. He just needs to get healed up…

SCjacket1

Banned
On Sims, perhaps he was dressed out as a decoy to force Miami to do some game planning to defend him if he actually went into the game. I am neutral on Sims in terms of his contribution to the team. He really has not played enough to determine his true value. If he wants to transfer then he should. If not he can come back and try to compete for the job when he is able to play.

Go Jackets!
He has not played enough? 2 1/2 years of play isn’t enough?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We will get better. But sometimes, you have to hit absolute rock bottom first.

confused 4th of july GIF by Looney Tunes
Things are about to change, I have faith.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It worries me that Sims was listed as available in case of emergency, then suddenly not available. I am not questioning the truthfulness of that statement, but what caused the change?

Emergency meant both Pyron and Gibson couldn't play. That never occurred. While Gibson playing may be an emergency for us fans, it's not why Sims was dressed.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He has been suffering from a couple of different injuries, one since the FSU game. It just has progressively gotten worse. He tried to power through it all, but it ultimately got the best of him. He will get better and become an even better passer, I’m extremely confident in that. He just needs to get healed up…
He's a gamer, that's for sure - the kind of QB we need. Looking forward to next year...