TECH VS MIAMI POSTGAME

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
All we can do is speculate but it makes no sense for Jeff not to go in, if he chose to hold on the surgery so he could potentially have more play time.
Makes me wonder if he's trying to do the one foot in, one foot out the door thing.
Not a good look for him

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All we can do is speculate but it makes no sense for Jeff not to go in, if he chose to hold on the surgery so he could potentially have more play time.
Makes me wonder if he's trying to do the one foot in, one foot out the door thing.
Not a good look for him

One of my favorite verses from the Bible is Rev. 3:15. "I know your deeds and know that you are neither hot or cold. How I wish you were one or the other. So, because you are lukewarm - not hot nor cold - I will spit you from my mouth." The reason I like it is because it is very applicable to almost anything we attempt while we are above the dirt. Other secular variants of this passage include "if you can't run with big dogs, stay on the porch" or the shorter "go big or go home".

None of us know the facts but Key does. The team does. And the AD does.Correct management of this situation is another major test for Key if he wants the job. FWIW, I don't think losing a close game to Miami without a serviceable QB in the 4th quarter was the end of his candidacy although probably most will disagree.

When our 3rd string guy trotted out there with the ball backed up inside our own 5 yard, I did think Key or Long had gone off the deep end. Tbh, I thought it was a "gimmicky" thing to try and spark the offense in the moment as I had not seen anything that would have me think that Pyron was hurt..

Jolly Good Fellow
No idea what happens with Jeff.
Sitting about 15 rows up behind Tech bench yesterday, I watched sideline interactions closely between players, between coaches, and between coaches and players. I paid particular attention to Sims-Pyron. I saw Jeff engaged in the QB discussion, appearing animated and encouraging. This did not look to me as if he'd quit on his teammates.
That being said I expect him to transfer, which is too bad as he is our best offensive player (warts and all).

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I went to bed last night thinking about Sims. I can see a situation where he wanted to support his teammates and dressed out, when in reality he is in no position to play. 20YOA brains are not always renowned for their decision making skills.
I hope the young man didn't make a "business decision". If so, his coaches may makes his future decision and he'll find that his choice at this time may come with a higher price to pay later.

slugboy

Staff member
Well, at least I can watch the Falcons today. They’re good this year, right?

Wait, they played Thursday? Isn’t that a college football day? What could go wrong?

C19392DB-5CC5-4F95-B8CE-EE1AC4D4D1E2.jpeg

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I almost want to cry at this point. It seems very few are going all in and seems they just want the season to be over

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Most all the guys played hard out there. I saw a lot of effort. Just couldn't get it done.
I was at the Auburn game last night. Lost five in a row. Several of the starters are my students and you could tell they just want the season over.

Carnell Williams, a former Auburn player, is hired as interim. AU fired Harsin and everyone associated with him. Williams has no head coaching experience, but a lot of friends (in Atlanta) who were former teammates with him at Auburn and his buddies from the NFL. He said he talked to them by phone, 3-4 times a day. "What do I do? How do I handle this? How do I motivate this guy?"

What you can't deny, just watching and listening to him, is the unbridled LOVE of the school, his PRIVILEGE of being there (again), and his absolute FAITH in what they were doing. An Auburn team showed up that no one had seen ... ALL YEAR. A&M sucks, but ... they were pre-season 6.

Tech has former players, NFL players, coaches etc ... all of whom can contribute. I wonder if we tap into that? I suspect not.

I am reminded of James Stockdale, the most senior naval officer held captive in the Hanoi Hilton. He said that to survive, to make it out, you must have unwavering faith and commitment that things will get better, while never forgetting the horror of what you are experiencing.

We will get better. But sometimes, you have to hit absolute rock bottom first.

slugboy

Staff member
In the first half, I saw a lot of passes behind the line of scrimmage, and way too many where Pyron led Hall by too much and Hall didn’t catch it. Those plays should be high-percentage plays (usually for a couple of yards) and they ended up being nothing.

In a lot of our other passes, we had our receiver open by a few yards and Pyron threw the ball behind the trailing defender. Going into a winnable Miami game, my guess is that our receivers were much faster on game day than they were during the week and Pyron’s timing was way off (and even that seems like a weird guess).

Miami’s 6’5” free safety was a problem because he could high point passes and he just out-athleted us on deep balls. If the grad assistants didn’t see that on film then I’m disappointed. We didn’t look prepared for him.

The offensive line looked better yesterday, and Dontae Smith looked pretty good out there. Miami’s defenders have a ton of speed though, and that hurt.

I didn’t notice much out of Eley or Thomas yesterday. Maybe Miami had a good game plan, or maybe they had a bad day, or maybe I just didn’t notice them.

Clayton Powell-Lee is a good tackler. I thought he and White had good games. I’d like to see what comes back from the PFF grades.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It worries me that Sims was listed as available in case of emergency, then suddenly not available. I am not questioning the truthfulness of that statement, but what caused the change?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind what 'in case of emergency' means. Generally that means the player plays only if there are no other players available to play at that position. That wasn't the case yesterday.

There were still 2 healthy QB's on the roster who could play.

I thought the OL had one of its better games in pass pro yesterday, but its run blocking was quite bad. GT largely had no real run game to speak of yesterday.
I didn't think Pyron looked sharp yesterday.
It took most of the first half for the defensive staff to figure out how to play defense against Brown. The first 20 min or so were ugly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It worries me that Sims was listed as available in case of emergency, then suddenly not available. I am not questioning the truthfulness of that statement, but what caused the change?
Key was noticably irritated when he answered that question in the post game presser. There is more to this story. My personal opinion is that Sims is still not 100% and does not want to risk further injury because he plans to transfer. Pyron has become the QB of the future. I just hope he stays. The transfer portal better have some decent QB's in it for next year. Gibson is a scout team guy at best which is also important.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Key was noticably irritated when he answered that question in the post game presser. There is more to this story. My personal opinion is that Sims is still not 100% and does not want to risk further injury because he plans to transfer. Pyron has become the QB of the future. I just hope he stays. The transfer portal better have some decent QB's in it for next year. Gibson is a scout team guy at best which is also important.
This is my suspicion as well. Getting a new coach on board before guys start hitting the portal is VERY important.