TECH VS MIAMI POSTGAME

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He has not played enough? 2 1/2 years of play isn’t enough?
He’s been hurt for half the season the past two years and played ten games his first year. He’s basically played the equivalent of two full years, but split over three.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming the “asked if he could go, didn’t go” story is true (I’m taking it with a grain of salt myself) then depending on the severity of injury it’s a bad look for someone but it could be for the coaches if there’s a risk of making things worse.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sims wanted to go back in against UVA and wasn't allowed to. I can only imagine he was told that his health took priority over winning that game because I don't think it was anything like concussion protocols which would have been . Very hard to then turn around and blast him if he takes the same approach in response later to me, especially if he's going to have to turn around and get an offseason surgery to fix the issue he's dealing with anyways.

Then again, the whole "he's available for an emergency" doesn't make sense to me. If he is good enough where you can put him in the fourth quarter of a one score game and expect him to lead us back, then why isn't he playing to start with? If he's too hurt to be playing to start the game then why is he suddenly fine to go in cold in a pressure situation like that?

Deleted member 6494

Assuming the “asked if he could go, didn’t go” story is true (I’m taking it with a grain of salt myself) then depending on the severity of injury it’s a bad look for someone but it could be for the coaches if there’s a risk of making things worse.
Only Jeff knows how his injury feels to him and his gut feeling of the result of that particular time and chance; not even his father knows all the thoughts going through Jeff's mind. I takes a lot of courage to stand up for your feelings against the attacks by others.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Brent Key didn't ask you. There's most likely a real good reason why.
Never said HE did. Nor did I hear him make it. There could be any number of reasons why. But you’re either too hurt to play or you’re not. So it all seems like a pretty big mess from the outside looking in. In my experience when things appear that way they tend to be pretty messy in actuality, regardless of whether it’s the same exact perceived mess or not.

Last edited:

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else notice how Key cut himself off when he was talking about establishing a culture with a team? “Culture isn’t something where you must come in and……..”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sims wanted to go back in against UVA and wasn't allowed to. I can only imagine he was told that his health took priority over winning that game because I don't think it was anything like concussion protocols which would have been . Very hard to then turn around and blast him if he takes the same approach in response later to me, especially if he's going to have to turn around and get an offseason surgery to fix the issue he's dealing with anyways.

Then again, the whole "he's available for an emergency" doesn't make sense to me. If he is good enough where you can put him in the fourth quarter of a one score game and expect him to lead us back, then why isn't he playing to start with? If he's too hurt to be playing to start the game then why is he suddenly fine to go in cold in a pressure situation like that?
Maybe he had an injury that hampered his play and so another starter was preferred, but it wasn't so severe that he wasn't available as a last resort if that starter couldn't continue.
Or maybe the real, unspoken reason he didn't start was that the coach thought the other guy was better and used his injury as an excuse.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Jeff has missed a substantial portion of the time he has been on the team. He has missed time all 3 years due to injury. Some guys just are not built to sustain the physical beating the game inflicts upon you. Others play with pulled muscles, broken bones, or severe illness. I attribute that to a somewhat intangible, mental toughness that some folks have and others don't. I heard Kirby Smart talking to his team about that recently. He basically was telling his team that they had reached the point in the season where you have to dig deep and overcome the aches and pains and mental fatigue that a football season brings upon you. He basically said you do it for the team and the guys that are in the foxhole fighting with you and for you. I think he has managed to create that culture in Athens. No doubt the 5-star and 4-star talent doesn't hurt but I think a lot of their success is due to the culture of physical, mental, and spiritual toughness he has created. It's something Georgia Tech needs to build and incorporate to our football program going forward.

Go Jackets!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe he had an injury that hampered his play and so another starter was preferred, but it wasn't so severe that he wasn't available as a last resort if that starter couldn't continue.
Or maybe the real, unspoken reason he didn't start was that the coach thought the other guy was better and used his injury as an excuse.

At this point in time, assuming 100% healthy, I think these two guys are pretty much neck and neck. From what I have seen, Sims may be just a step quicker (he is a threat to take one to the house when he runs) but ZP is mobile enough to take off and get you first downs and gives you a viable option to run the QB draw. I think ZP is slightly a bit better in regards to his passing (his TD pass on the lone score was a perfectly thrown ball) and has shown the ability to manage a two minute drill very effectively especially given his true FR standing. SO, if either one is at 80% due to injury, I think you have to go with the healthier of the two.

I don't know what the health situation is with either of them, now or at the start of the game yesterday. I am just saying that the pros and cons are pretty much equal. Which, given that one has been here for several years and one has not, speaks very favorably to the youngster. In Sims defense, his progress has been affected by coaching and playing behind a porous line. Our OL did the best in pass pro than they have in many, many years. IIRC. we only gave up one sack yesterday.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Jeff has missed a substantial portion of the time he has been on the team. He has missed time all 3 years due to injury. Some guys just are not built to sustain the physical beating the game inflicts upon you. Others play with pulled muscles, broken bones, or severe illness. I attribute that to a somewhat intangible, mental toughness that some folks have and others don't. I heard Kirby Smart talking to his team about that recently. He basically was telling his team that they had reached the point in the season where you have to dig deep and overcome the aches and pains and mental fatigue that a football season brings upon you. He basically said you do it for the team and the guys that are in the foxhole fighting with you and for you. I think he has managed to create that culture in Athens. No doubt the 5-star and 4-star talent doesn't hurt but I think a lot of their success is due to the culture of physical, mental, and spiritual toughness he has created. It's something Georgia Tech needs to build and incorporate to our football program going forward.

Go Jackets!
Agreed. Like Jordan playing with the stomach bug. Some guys can push through a lot of pain and others cannot.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Considering Gibson was the one thrown out there against UVA and to start against FSU I think it's safe to say the second theory doesn't hold. Sims wasn't benched because they thought the back up was better, and if they thought that was true about Pyron just Because of a performance against one of the worst P5 teams in the country then I don't really know what to say.

But to me, the appearance of this doesn't look good for the coaching staff. Sims wanted to go back in against UVA and wasn't allowed. He was told he couldn't for health reasons. He then sits the rest of the game against UVA (Where Gibson does nothing, we lose, and don't see Pyron at all), FSU, VT, Miami until the fourth quarter when Pyron gets hurt. To me, that seems like the coaching staff was going to have Pyron play all the way against Miami and likely UNC, and then Sims would be healthy enough to start right in time for Pyron to redshirt and Sims to take the beating against UGA, both on the field and from the fans.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Considering Gibson was the one thrown out there against UVA and to start against FSU I think it's safe to say the second theory doesn't hold. Sims wasn't benched because they thought the back up was better, and if they thought that was true about Pyron just Because of a performance against one of the worst P5 teams in the country then I don't really know what to say.

But to me, the appearance of this doesn't look good for the coaching staff. Sims wanted to go back in against UVA and wasn't allowed. He was told he couldn't for health reasons. He then sits the rest of the game against UVA (Where Gibson does nothing, we lose, and don't see Pyron at all), FSU, VT, Miami until the fourth quarter when Pyron gets hurt. To me, that seems like the coaching staff was going to have Pyron play all the way against Miami and likely UNC, and then Sims would be healthy enough to start right in time for Pyron to redshirt and Sims to take the beating against UGA, both on the field and from the fans.

Pyron, prior to this injury, wasn't going to be redshirted. That was just people on the internet fantasizing over it. Key was going to start Pyron the rest of the way barring miraculous healing on Sims part.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The whole emergency thing is really stupid. There is no emergency in college football worth risking the health of a player who isn't healthy enough to play. Either a guy can go or he can't. I'm not sure why we are making it complicated. Maybe it's to keep the other teams guessing.