Tech vs. Louisville

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Bill Connelly's (ESPN) SP+ prediction is out, and it has Louisville over GT (us) by 15.6, with a projected score of Louisville 31 - GT 15. That's 46 points total, for the under (O/U is 49).

That projection implies to me
  • Pretty much last year's Louisville lock down defense
  • Pretty much our OLine from last year
  • Pretty much our scoring ability from last year (remember, UVA held us to 9).
  • A regression of our defense from last year
I'm not saying I agree with it (I don't). I'll be watching for how we've improved in multiple areas and rooting for a win.
Yeah, there’s not enough data about this team from last year and they are going with the only data they have.

I like that Key may have the element of surprise working for him in this game.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah, there’s not enough data about this team from last year and they are going with the only data they have.

I like that Key may have the element of surprise working for him in this game.
Completely different offense, a completely new cast of skill players, an older talented secondary, Marco teaching DL, less blocked punts (hopefully)… I’m optimistic we will fight and keep it interesting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm so looking forward to this game. Just want to see how the team looks. What has improved, what has gotten worse, how is the level of play and the intensity?

I'm not expecting a masterpiece from either team as opening with a legit opponent on week 1 usually means some sloppy play by both sides as they cannot simply 'out talent' the opponent.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Out of curiously I watched some Jack Plummer at Cal vs Stanford last year. Dude is good, super comfortable in the pocket and throws dimes. However, he’s slow as can be. If our DLine can pressure he’s in trouble every time. I think QB’s that can’t scramble can really be exposed in this age.

I don’t usually do this kind of recon but I have never itched for GT football this bad.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Out of curiously I watched some Jack Plummer at Cal vs Stanford last year. Dude is good, super comfortable in the pocket and throws dimes. However, he’s slow as can be. If our DLine can pressure he’s in trouble every time.
I don’t usually do this kind of recon but I have never itched for GT football this bad.
Hopefully ‘Ol Plummer has some itches from his allergic reaction to the turf.

JacketFan137

Banned
Out of curiously I watched some Jack Plummer at Cal vs Stanford last year. Dude is good, super comfortable in the pocket and throws dimes. However, he’s slow as can be. If our DLine can pressure he’s in trouble every time. I think QB’s that can’t scramble can really be exposed in this age.

it could definitely be confirmation bias but i feel like historically tech has been awful at defending mobile qbs for the past decade. i swear we lead college football in “almost sacks turned into 25 yard scrambles on third down”. if he can’t run i like our chances on d way better

slugboy

Staff member
it could definitely be confirmation bias but i feel like historically tech has been awful at defending mobile qbs for the past decade 40 years. i swear we lead college football in “almost sacks turned into 25 yard scrambles on third down”. if he can’t run i like our chances on d way better
FIFY

Someone will FIFY me now

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill Connelly's (ESPN) SP+ prediction is out, and it has Louisville over GT (us) by 15.6, with a projected score of Louisville 31 - GT 15. That's 46 points total, for the under (O/U is 49).

That projection implies to me
  • Pretty much last year's Louisville lock down defense
  • Pretty much our OLine from last year
  • Pretty much our scoring ability from last year (remember, UVA held us to 9).
  • A regression of our defense from last year
I'm not saying I agree with it (I don't). I'll be watching for how we've improved in multiple areas and rooting for a win.
Louisville's lock down defense of last year was primarily due to a front four that was one of the national leaders in sacks. Most of those guys have moved on so hopefully that helps our cause. Even if they have restocked we have a mobile quarterback that might be able to mitigate some of that and an offensive coordinator that likes to move the pocket. I'm surprised anyone would predict a blowout by either team as nobody has any idea how either of these teams will look with all of the new players and coaching changes.

slugboy

Staff member
Louisville's lock down defense of last year was primarily due to a front four that was one of the national leaders in sacks. Most of those guys have moved on so hopefully that helps our cause. Even if they have restocked we have a mobile quarterback that might be able to mitigate some of that and an offensive coordinator that likes to move the pocket. I'm surprised anyone would predict a blowout by either team as nobody has any idea how either of these teams will look with all of the new players and coaching changes.

To feed his model for a new year, Connelly takes last year’s production, removes the production of players who graduated or transferred out, adds in products from transfers in, and adds another factor for the high school recruiting class. These are all weighted.

So, as much as it can be, what you mentioned is factored in.

Brian Fremeau has also tried a lot of systems, but found a 5-year average gave the best results. Sometimes simpler systems work better

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
1994 says hello. Last year was bad. 1994 was horrific.
That was my last quarter there, graduated that fall. It was so bad after a few weeks I just went to the games trashed and honestly only remember the one game against NCSU I think where I got into a fight with some fraternity dudes who were sloshed even more than I was.

JacketFan137

Banned
We were solid in the Ross era, and probably Tenuta and maybe a bit in the mid-1980’s when we had to the right LB corps

But otherwise, there are some QBs still running
still wonder every time i see a USF game how we let Blake Barnett look like lamar jackson

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
To feed his model for a new year, Connelly takes last year’s production, removes the production of players who graduated or transferred out, adds in products from transfers in, and adds another factor for the high school recruiting class. These are all weighted.

So, as much as it can be, what you mentioned is factored in.

Brian Fremeau has also tried a lot of systems, but found a 5-year average gave the best results. Sometimes simpler systems work better
The portal is going to make all those models moot.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless you pay attention to Ga Tech football like we do folks don’t see the improvement after Collins was fired and now CK has a few games under his belt and has a pretty good QB that’s played against SEC defenses. This game against Louisville is huge for Brent Key Friday night to get his coaching career started. Get the win Friday night and we’ll be hearing Saturday morning that Ga Tech has found their guy and that kind of news will bring good football players to Atlanta baby. We’ve all watched this happen before and it will happen again in 2023. Gotta make something happen.I’m excited too 😂Let’s go Ga Tech baby!

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
The portal is going to make all those models moot.
I guess we’ll see.

There are two in this thread. One directly includes transferring production in and out, so one would expect it to do well.

The other uses a 5 year average—you’d expect a healthy program to be about that healthy in the portal. Maybe a program like Colorado with Deion Sanders is different because it’s so drastic.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Did we get through fall camp without major injuries. Coaches have been very tight lipped about injured players. It would be a first if we didn't have a few starters out. I sure hope we are at full strength.