Tech vs. Louisville

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Did we get through fall camp without major injuries. Coaches have been very tight lipped about injured players. It would be a first if we didn't have a few starters out. I sure hope we are at full strength.

The media members have asked in the pressers about guys who were banged up or if someone is back practicing. I think it hasn't been reported because there hasn't been much to report. Hopefully, that's true and we came out of camp mostly healthy.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone else getting nervous yet?? I keep getting the thought of us losing.

Man that guy before Key really f***Ed my head/fandom up

I don't fear us getting an L. If UL is the better team and they win, then tip our cap and keep working. I fear us never having a chance to win because we can't cover a punt, our kicks get blocked, we stall promising drives with dumb penalties, we mismanage the clock, we give the ball away, we blow assignments and let opposing players cakewalk to the end zone or to sacking our QB...

I want to see us play hard and clean. If we do that, the W and Ls will take care of themselves.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess we’ll see.

There are two in this thread. One directly includes transferring production in and out, so one would expect it to do well.

The other uses a 5 year average—you’d expect a healthy program to be about that healthy in the portal. Maybe a program like Colorado with Deion Sanders is different because it’s so drastic.
We have no idea how the portal is going to affect the performance of teams in general yet. Time will inform us how to best model for these predictions. Right now, it’s all a wag.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have no idea how the portal is going to affect the performance of teams in general yet. Time will inform us how to best model for these predictions. Right now, it’s all a wag.
We do know that a staff is more valuable if they can quickly coach up players into a scheme. I am optimistic that our new guys at wr and qb will look good. All credit to staff. GT is not a destination yet.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
The portal is going to make all those models moot.
I'm pretty sure the smart people who run these models will be able to account for the portal, save for the extreme tail events like a Colorado. They already quantify a player's recruiting rating, their on the field rating, the player's value above replacement, a coaching staff's ability to coach talent up (or down in Clown's case), and the value of continuity on both offense and defense (and positional groupings).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just win with no turnovers and no dumb penalties.
Games without mistakes are rare, usually playing conservatively against weak opponents. I just want to see the Jackets do more right than wrong and respond in a positive manner when the going gets tough.
The team that makes no mistakes against a tough opponent may be playing too conservatively. I want to see us take some calculated risks, and more of them pay off than not.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Games without mistakes are rare, usually playing conservatively against weak opponents. I just want to see the Jackets do more right than wrong and respond in a positive manner when the going gets tough.
The team that makes no mistakes against a tough opponent may be playing too conservatively. I want to see us take some calculated risks, and more of them pay off than not.
The better prepared team will usually make fewer mistakes and have better execution.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure the smart people who run these models will be able to account for the portal, save for the extreme tail events like a Colorado. They already quantify a player's recruiting rating, their on the field rating, the player's value above replacement, a coaching staff's ability to coach talent up (or down in Clown's case), and the value of continuity on both offense and defense (and positional groupings).
Right, but until you have actual real-time data to vet a model, it's just a wild-*** guess...if they're really smart, maybe a swag. It'll take 3-4 iterations to actually develop enough actual data to build and refine a real model.

You guys are smart enough to know how modeling works.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Why are we even playing in MBS if the tickets are "sold out" (but actually held back and sold as resale tickets), and they don't even open the 300 level?
Current get-in price is $30 before fees.
https://www.ticketmaster.com/2023-a...nta-georgia-09-01-2023/event/0E005E6A90461D2E
Lots more club and suites to sell. The team has done a poor job indicating 110C/128C and 200s Club are free food and drinks though. You'll notice hardly any of the club on the Louisville side has sold - that might be the place to sit. There will be no line for food and drinks in there. The food options are significantly better in the 110C/128C club though and you can get top shelf liquor in there.

Secret_AznMan

Georgia Tech Fan
Lots more club and suites to sell. The team has done a poor job indicating 110C/128C and 200s Club are free food and drinks though. You'll notice hardly any of the club on the Louisville side has sold - that might be the place to sit. There will be no line for food and drinks in there. The food options are significantly better in the 110C/128C club though and you can get top shelf liquor in there.
The team indicated that it was sold out and the only way to get a ticket was to get a season ticket package (a lie because it's not sold out).

Techster

Helluva Engineer

My Atlanta United season tickets are in 128C. I can tell you, food is so much better in the club area. My seats come with food and drinks, so I'm kind a spoiled now. Atlanta United seasons tix really are a great deal.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
My Atlanta United season tickets are in 128C. I can tell you, food is so much better in the club area. My seats come with food and drinks, so I'm kind a spoiled now. Atlanta United seasons tix really are a great deal.
The worst part of those seats is the all inclusive club is a mile walk from the seats. I don't want to miss an entire series trying to snag a beer. 200s you can make a beer/food/bathroom run during a commercial break with zero issues which is a decent tradeoff for slightly less food options.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Right, but until you have actual real-time data to vet a model, it's just a wild-*** guess...if they're really smart, maybe a swag. It'll take 3-4 iterations to actually develop enough actual data to build and refine a real model.

You guys are smart enough to know how modeling works.
Further than that even, right? Most programs don't change that drastically year over year. Coach stays the same, roster evolves, lose some production, gain some production. Those are all fairly "modeling friendly" events.

Then there are the Deion's or the "wow maybe Geoff Collins really brought the whole thing down that much" rare events.

They're tougher to figure out how to quantify and they might not even make a big impact on your overall model quality evaluation. Are you testing more for "how accurate did this do on the largest number of teams" or "how accurate did this do on the most random one-off changes"? Or trying to weigh both somehow? From what I've seen, the majority of systems built out there right now are squarely in the first camp: predict well for the standard cases. So even if some of them do better on the wildcard cases, that doesn't mean that anyone necessarily can tell you which ones those are or has a good way of ranking for that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The worst part of those seats is the all inclusive club is a mile walk from the seats. I don't want to miss an entire series trying to snag a beer. 200s you can make a beer/food/bathroom run during a commercial break with zero issues which is a decent tradeoff for slightly less food options.

Yup, it's a bit of a walk. Kind of a trade off. You get food and drinks included, and you get nice restrooms to use...but you have to walk a bit to get everything. It's not not terrible, but it takes some work. Unless I REALLY have to, I'll wait till the end of halftime/beginning of next half before I go down, refill, and get snacks. I tend to sit in the same section in the Truist Club dining area every game, and I'll slip the server a $20, and she'll send me up with a full souvenir cup of drinks and some waters.