Tech vs. Louisville

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmm ... well ... no. Unless you count the loss to a truly wretched Virginia team as being in position to win a close one.
FSU beat the crap out of us. So did Miami - Knighton was killing us running the ball. Other loss was Georgia, where we played as well as we could for a half but we all knew how that was going to turn out anyway, barring a miracle.
We did have three really good wins - Pitt, UNC, Duke (and dang near screwed that one away) - and another good comeback win, albeit against a bad VPI team.. But it was a comeback win at their place, so suck it Turkeys.
I think we could have hung with Miami if Pyron didn't get hurt

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. I just remember them outrunning us with more speed than us.
This. I remember getting straight up out-athleted by both FSU and Miami last season. Virginia was the only game we really blew, and I think we honestly win that game if Sims doesn't get hurt. Still, a big strike against Coach Key for not having a backup locked and loaded given Sims had gotten hurt the previous week in OT against Duke. UVA's defense was good last year but I can't remember a less prepared QB than whatever version of Zach Gibson we ran out there in the 2nd quarter. UVA had 8 sacks.

And I walked into Bobby Dodd that night ready to start 3-0 in Coastal and book my Charlotte accommodations when I got home. That ACC Coastal sure was a funny division.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This. I remember getting straight up out-athleted by both FSU and Miami last season. Virginia was the only game we really blew, and I think we honestly win that game if Sims doesn't get hurt. Still, a big strike against Coach Key for not having a backup locked and loaded given Sims had gotten hurt the previous week in OT against Duke. UVA's defense was good last year but I can't remember a less prepared QB than whatever version of Zach Gibson we ran out there in the 2nd quarter. UVA had 8 sacks.

And I walked into Bobby Dodd that night ready to start 3-0 in Coastal and book my Charlotte accommodations when I got home. That ACC Coastal sure was a funny division.
And as strange as it seems, had Key managed to roll out a prepared QB and won that game, we would have finished 2nd in the Coastal - not unfamiliar territory for us. A 3-way tie based on W/L records, but we would have had the tiebreaker over Pitt and Duke. Also notable is that we beat teams ranked 1-3 in the division.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow

The UVA game was 12 days after the Duke game and the team believed Sims was a full go. Sims injury during the UVA game was a completely different injury than what occurred against Duke so you cant say that the staff should've know that Sims would get injured again. The team last year was not good enough to lose its starting QB during any conference game and win. We just did not have talent or the structure. Its not a big strike against Key, its just something some fans want to try and hold against a guy thrust into a terrible position on a plummeting program.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
To your point about how this plays into correcting issues, I didn’t think TFG’s press conferences dealt with adversity very well. I get the impression Key will take a no-nonsense approach to identifying and correcting issues that come up, win or lose.

This. I see this as well.

I agree that TFG didn't handle adversity well - his press conference approach seemed to be "repeat how you want things to be enough times until it comes true."

The vibe I get currently (and it's just a vibe - nothing concrete to base it on but 40+ years' experience as a Tech and CFB fan) is that there won't be any surprises at press conferences for CBK. He will have already identified the issues, will publicly own them, and then will give an update as to what specifically he and his staff have done to fix them the next time he's asked.

Bottom line - he seems like the type of coach who calls out the shortcomings, owns them, and commits to improving them. That's refreshing to me. (I also remember a similar vibe from CPJ, albeit much more curmudgeonly).

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
OMG I can’t wait. Just look at the team after CK took over. We beat 2 ranked teams last year and was in position to win a few other games. The QB going down hurt us but we were still competitive. Georgia just had too much fire power but we played very good early until we just got worn down. CK is our guy to get this team respectable again.remember, CK took over a very bad situation and made the best of it.

Fun fact: FSU (the self-anointed "jewel" of the conference) beat 0 ranked teams last year.

slugboy

Staff member
Fun fact: FSU (the self-anointed "jewel" of the conference) beat 0 ranked teams last year.
They beat the snot out of Miami though. They beat them worse than they beat us. They beat Florida, lost by a TD to Clemson, and they beat LSU and Oklahoma

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
They beat the snot out of Miami though. They beat them worse than they beat us. They beat Florida, lost by a TD to Clemson, and they beat LSU and Oklahoma

I'll give you LSU and Clemson. One loss and one win (over a ranked team, but in a bowl game - I apparently didn't qualify "regular season" when I first made my statement).

However, Florida and Oklahoma each finished 6-6 in the regular season last year (and 6-7 including their bowls). IMO lumping them in with "quality wins" can only be done if you think "We should count Oklahoma as a good win because they're usually good," or "The SEC just means more."

Not saying that FSU is bad. Just saying they're not yet as good as the media (and particularly they themselves) consider them to be.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well they did beat LSU who finished 6th in the final standings. But what the heck, make any claim you want.
Agree Lsu was a good team.
Wasnt FSU win on a missed field goal.

We had some fortunate turnovers and dropped passes to beat a good UNC team

slugboy

Staff member
I'll give you LSU and Clemson. One loss and one win (over a ranked team, but in a bowl game - I apparently didn't qualify "regular season" when I first made my statement).

However, Florida and Oklahoma each finished 6-6 in the regular season last year (and 6-7 including their bowls). IMO lumping them in with "quality wins" can only be done if you think "We should count Oklahoma as a good win because they're usually good," or "The SEC just means more."

Not saying that FSU is bad. Just saying they're not yet as good as the media (and particularly they themselves) consider them to be.
I saw some others sharing “FSU had zero wins over ranked teams in 2022”. They lost to Wake, NCST, and Clemson last year. They beat everyone else on their schedule. Out of conference, they played LSU, Florida, Duquense, and Louisiana (Rajun Cajuns). It’s a solid schedule. LSU ended up ranked 15th in the coaches poll.

They played the teams on their schedule. Clemson was outside the top 10. Wake and Louisville ended up just outside the top 25.

FSU has an valid axe to grind—teams like GT and Miami need to get back to being good teams. Syracuse and BC also.

We talk about the “power 2”, but top to bottom, the Big 12 might have been the best football conference last season. They had less TV revenue than us. We need to solve the revenue mismatch, but the bigger problem is that we turned into Clemson and the 13 dwarves about 10 years ago.

If I would ding FSU on something, I’d look at their three losses. FSU has been rebuilding their program since the year before we hired Collins. They had plenty of time to rebuild their offensive and defensive lines. After five years, they’re loaded with talent and finally have a strong offensive line. Despite their recruiting and funding advantage, they lost to Wake, and I’d say Wake has a better coach than FSU. FSU’s coach can take “his’n and beat your’n”, but not always, and not the other way around. Their loss to NCST was similar.

Clemson was beatable last year. FSU didn’t get it done. Clemson should have a better offense this season, and it’ll be tougher to win.

FSU might be able to load up on enough talent to beat NCST and Wake, and occasionally beat Clemson. I think they have a ceiling, and it’s outside the top 5 teams—Ohio State, UGA, Alabama will show up with the same or better talent, and a better scheme.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It's a matter of perspective - the team that fumbles the ball calls it a fluke. The team that forced/recovered the fumble calls it a clutch play. This is why we must practice and why games are played on the field, not on paper.
The team that wins the turnover margin usually wins the game. Those turnovers by Pitt were due to good solid hits.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t fsu play Lsu again this season? I think they lose this time, and lose vs. Clemson. They are a def top 25 team but not a playoff contender imo.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

FSU pushed them all over the field but kept letting them back in the game with stupid mistakes. A weird game in which LSU played fairly consistently the whole game, whether they were ahead or behind, and FSU was boom or bust through the whole game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

FSU pushed them all over the field but kept letting them back in the game with stupid mistakes. A weird game in which LSU played fairly consistently the whole game, whether they were ahead or behind, and FSU was boom or bust through the whole game.