Tech vs. Louisville

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is absolutely true about the media. Even the GT beat writers have lazy takes. If you are a diehard fan who pays attention, you can tell right away when listening to an ACC or GT media podcast or YouTube channel, that most "experts" have very little knowledge of GT.

I actually think we will have very good offensive production this year and that our WRs and QBs will be above average. The OL will no doubt be better. The biggest question for me is LB.

That said, I have not done a deep dive on Louisville so I have no idea what to expect. I do think this will be one of the most important opening games for Tech in quite some time as it will set the tone for the season.
The media are not nearly as lazy as you think. They usyallly are close at the top and bottom. The middle teams do get jumbled because there isn’t much difference.

Where do you think GT will place in the ACC 1-14?

Do you really have a clue on the rest of the Conference?

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The media are not nearly as lazy as you think. They usyallly are close at the top and bottom. The middle teams do get jumbled because there isn’t much difference.

I’m feeling good about the season and I believe we’ll finish between 5th and 7th in the ACC. Hope you don’t mind me chiming in I liked your post. Man we need to get that first win against Louisville and build some confidence.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m feeling good about the season and I believe we’ll finish between 5th and 7th in the ACC. Hope you don’t mind me chiming in I liked your post. Man we need to get that first win against Louisville and build some confidence.
I hope you are correct. I fully understand why and non GT fan would see us much worse. We really are an unknown team this year. s usual we can't suffer many key injuries as our depth is not anywhere near most Top 25 teams. If everything comes together and we stay healthy we could have a fun year!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I think we are still a year away from being real competitive. This year I think 5 wins is reasonable with so many unknowns. There is no team personality developed yet. What do we do really well? Still unknown. This team has the potential to win 7 or 8 games with great QB play and avoiding injury. I am anxious to see how our offense will execute under our new OC. He may be the secret sauce to success.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we are still a year away from being real competitive. This year I think 5 wins is reasonable with so many unknowns. There is no team personality developed yet. What do we do really well? Still unknown. This team has the potential to win 7 or 8 games with great QB play and avoiding injury. I am anxious to see how our offense will execute under our new OC. He may be the secret sauce to success.
I agree - we have a lot of big questions to answer. It's preseason and the storylines are all in our heads at this point.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is the difference in the interviews this year. Anyone else notice this? Both the coaches and the players seem to be carrying a quiet confidence. There's a different feel to things this year. I dunno if it means anything, but if nothing else, it seems we have found a calming influence.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Are coaches now allowed to work with the kids in the summer mos before camp starts? Seems like I read that somewhere, certainly every teams gains something by that but seems to me it would be even more important for a situation like ours and Louisville with new staffs etc. Some here indicating we do not have depth but I'm seeing that differently, it appears to me we do have depth most everywhere with the exception of LB and we're not awful there but two injuries would definitely hurt the way I'm seeing it. Kelly Quinlan thinks CB is a little short in numbers also.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Are coaches now allowed to work with the kids in the summer mos before camp starts? Seems like I read that somewhere, certainly every teams gains something by that but seems to me it would be even more important for a situation like ours and Louisville with new staffs etc. Some here indicating we do not have depth but I'm seeing that differently, it appears to me we do have depth most everywhere with the exception of LB and we're not awful there but two injuries would definitely hurt the way I'm seeing it. Kelly Quinlan thinks CB is a little short in numbers also.

By the numbers we are shy in depth at FS, SS, and N but we have quality players there and we are getting depth by cross training. I agree that our quality depth problem may be at CB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree - we have a lot of big questions to answer. It's preseason and the storylines are all in our heads at this point.

The biggest thing that stands out to me is the difference in the interviews this year. Anyone else notice this? Both the coaches and the players seem to be carrying a quiet confidence. There's a different feel to things this year. I dunno if it means anything, but if nothing else, it seems we have found a calming influence.
Remember all the arguments when Collins was here from people who said interviews and press conferences don’t matter?

Well, I think they do. Not a lot. But they do matter.

Here’s one read I get from the interactions of coaches and players with the press. A quiet confidence. It’s not the kind of confidence that will easily shatter the first time we are punched in the mouth. It is a confidence that will calmly assess after each game and know exactly why we won or why we lost, and exactly what needs work for the next game.

And EVERYBODY will be on the same page.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Remember all the arguments when Collins was here from people who said interviews and press conferences don’t matter?

Here’s one read I get from the interactions of coaches and players with the press. A quiet confidence. It’s not the kind of confidence that will easily shatter the first time we are punched in the mouth. It is a confidence that will calmly assess after each game and know exactly why we won or why we lost, and exactly what needs work for the next game.

Agreed, although some of the confidence isn’t all that quiet to me (looking at WRs). :)

To your point about how this plays into correcting issues, I didn’t think TFG’s press conferences dealt with adversity very well. I get the impression Key will take a no-nonsense approach to identifying and correcting issues that come up, win or lose.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

My biggest take away from the press conferences is that we can now hear the questions. Massive improvement.

Seriously, I think the overall level of college football is going up a lot every year. No one can know who has gotten more better. (sic)

12 days to the first test.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow

Agreed. Not that I know any better, but the interviews give the impression that they know who they are (both coaches and players) and they know what they're doing.

As much as I loved CPJ, he was a *****ly old man in interviews lol. TFG was a joke in interviews. So far, CBK seems to love what he's doing, loves where he's at, and actually has a plan! (A plan that does not involve weightlifting on the sidelines).

I'm not expecting a "worst to first" year or anything, but I am gaining more and more confidence that CBK is the guy to get this program headed in the right direction.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed. Not that I know any better, but the interviews give the impression that they know who they are (both coaches and players) and they know what they're doing.

As much as I loved CPJ, he was a *****ly old man in interviews lol. TFG was a joke in interviews. So far, CBK seems to love what he's doing, loves where he's at, and actually has a plan! (A plan that does not involve weightlifting on the sidelines).

I'm not expecting a "worst to first" year or anything, but I am gaining more and more confidence that CBK is the guy to get this program headed in the right direction.
OMG I can’t wait. Just look at the team after CK took over. We beat 2 ranked teams last year and was in position to win a few other games. The QB going down hurt us but we were still competitive. Georgia just had too much fire power but we played very good early until we just got worn down. CK is our guy to get this team respectable again.remember, CK took over a very bad situation and made the best of it.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Key is most impressive to me as a first year coach in that he definitely leaves the impresson that he knows what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. There is a lot on his plate and he is demonstrating that he can handle it. His selection of coaches has turned out to be outstanding. Better days are coming.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Last year was the lowest I’ve ever felt as a Tech fan. I didn’t even want the season to begin. I knew what was coming. Got energized some after Key was made the man and even more so when his staff was named.
I was pretty upbeat going into last season. I knew that either (a) TFG would be fired, or (b) if he wasn’t, I would be saving a lot of money by not renewing my season tickets for this year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
OMG I can’t wait. Just look at the team after CK took over. We beat 2 ranked teams last year and was in position to win a few other games.
Hmmm ... well ... no. Unless you count the loss to a truly wretched Virginia team as being in position to win a close one.
FSU beat the crap out of us. So did Miami - Knighton was killing us running the ball. Other loss was Georgia, where we played as well as we could for a half but we all knew how that was going to turn out anyway, barring a miracle.
We did have three really good wins - Pitt, UNC, Duke (and dang near screwed that one away) - and another good comeback win, albeit against a bad VPI team.. But it was a comeback win at their place, so suck it Turkeys.