Tech vs. Louisville

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Because he didn’t throw it often but when he did, he REALLY meant it!
PJ watched for the safety and/or corners to start cheating up for run support and then he burned them. His WR would block most of the time and then instead run past them when they came up. This worked in tight games or if ahead for big plays but did not work when behind late in games when we had to throw.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Always, always wondered how CPJ recruited so many good receivers in an offense that critics said never passed the ball.
I don't know the answer... curious. Were they good receivers (4 or 5 star) when CPJ got them? Or did he turn them into good ones & NFL ready?

This probably isn't the best recruiting message but this was the reality, right?..

Come to the Flats & I'll make you a quality NFL prospect because you'll score [a few TDs]... always only have one (or less) guys to beat... & be one helluva blocking WR. (ie.. a WR with all the tools)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know the answer... curious. Were they good receivers (4 or 5 star) when CPJ got them? Or did he turn them into good ones & NFL ready?

This probably isn't the best recruiting message but this was the reality, right?..

Come to the Flats & I'll make you a quality NFL prospect because you'll score [a few TDs]... always only have one (or less) guys to beat... & be one helluva blocking WR. (ie.. a WR with all the tools)
Yes, I think he and his staff were good at finding raw physical talent, players who had measurables but not a lot of high school accolades. Then they taught them to be physically tough. Frequently their yards per catch were among the best in the nation and that, correlating with their speed, attracted pro eyeballs.

I miss player development. Seems everyone wants a plug and play player out of high school now. Key looks like (I hope) he has assembled a staff that can teach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
PJ watched for the safety and/or corners to start cheating up for run support and then he burned them. His WR would block most of the time and then instead run past them when they came up. This worked in tight games or if ahead for big plays but did not work when behind late in games when we had to throw.
Basically correct except for one caveat. MOST teams in college football struggle when behind with little time left and everyone in the stadium knows they have to throw.

Even so, I remember a few times in various games where we still pulled that off, fourth and long plays, Tevin Washington marching the team down the field with minutes left against Virginia Tech (even though we still lost) scoring right before halftime against Southern Cal when everyone knew we had to pass, and many more examples. This is not to say that a pass happy offense wouldn’t have been better in these situations, it would have, but the narrative that we were below average in these situations was a lazy media narrative that failed deeper analysis in my opinion.

Simply put, fourth and 25 is super hard for every team not named Alabama, Ohio State or Georgia. Yet even lowly Tech pulled that off a few times.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I would love to see two minute drill effectiveness stats since the 2 minute Johnson offense was quite different than the usual one but often effective (probably a good change of pace?). I remember a drive late @Wake with Washington that I think was mostly passes, plus some of those others mentioned.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I like to listen to the local podcasts of our opponents. Locked on Louisville recently featured a series that named the top 15 impact players for the Cardinals this year. To say that I was underwhelmed would be an understatement. DE Antoine Gillette was number one and sounds like he proven difference maker. After that, many of the named player's projected impact was speculative , almost hopeful. Most seemed like they were recent transfers. Many served in backup roles last year and of course most of those were transfers. With the exception of our LBs , the nucleus of our team is homegrown. The experts all say their talent level is better, but I am not convinced. The Cards are really counting on Jamari Thrash from Ga. State to be their Alpha receiver ( he was named 2d team pre season All ACC. I also watched some Cal tape of their QB transfer Plummer. He shows as a savvy veteran who is tall, accurate and has nice touch on intermediate passes and slants. We definitely need to play him with inside leverage and get some DL push to get him moving out of the pocket and off his spot. He looks awkward running away from the pocket. Brothers, I think we win this game by playing smart and aggressive on defense. If our offense can put up 27 points , I believe our Jackets are off to a 1-0 start.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
We have so many unknowns that it's impossible to have confidence heading into this game. I suppose this is where the "fan" part of us comes out. I'm really excited about this game. It will tell us a lot.

BUT...we have a new QB, new WRs, a new OC, etc all playing with one of the worst OL units in the ACC. We lost most of our playmakers on D and our special teams were dreadful last year. But somehow I'm still excited? I don't want to be let down, but I can't help but be excited.

Key looks and sounds like a legitimate coach. Faulkner and Weinke look and sound like legitimate coaches. They've brought some stability back to the program. We'll see if they can instill an identity into this team.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I hear you. However, the WR room is better — no doubt. There is simply more speed and quickness depth which we have lacked (sans Nate). Although Jeff Sims is talented, a great guy, and apparently exciting Nebraskans, he simply wasn’t in a position to succeed in Atlanta. Our QB room is better simply due to depth, chemistry, and culture.

Buster and Weinke have bought in. Chip Long was filling a gap. I have zero doubt we make better use of the talent we have. Developing confidence and enforcing accountability is what we needed and I think we have it.

DL lost Keion, but I believe is overall better and deeper. The interior DL has the size to complement the ability that we are not used to. Biggers, Douse, Lockett, etc. — yes, please.

I cannot speak on the annual “OL is a question mark” discussion. The new leadership structure and more competitive off-season can only be a plus. Sounds like they are in positive physical shape.

LBs will be interesting to follow as they are unknowns while having a few talented guys to develop — could take some time.

Secondary has a lot of experience. One year older for a relatively large group should help naturally. The CP/Brooks combination is exciting. Was it Harvey that received some coach recognition for his play in camp thus far?

Special teams? #1 — Simply punt the ball and we have already improved. Who has been fielding kick returns? We have some speed to place there this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
See if you can find “North Dallas Forty” on a streaming service. Tom Landry liked it when his players got in fights.
I was thinking the same thing. Several old school coaches liked it. They felt that when an opponent showed up they would turn the anger on them.

It was a different approach but the idea was that going soft on your own teammates meant you would not be appropriately aggressive with your opponents.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the same thing. Several old school coaches liked it. They felt that when an opponent showed up they would turn the anger on them.

It was a different approach but the idea was that going soft on your own teammates meant you would not be appropriately aggressive with your opponents.
We’re a kinder, gentler society now. It’s possible Brohm’s reaction was for spectators or media present and it may have been different in a closed setting. Who knows...
I don’t put any real stake in it one way or another, but I certainly enjoy the pointing and laughing aspect as a fan. If our guys are fighting, I see toughness, eagerness and all of the good football nastiness that’s required for success. When it’s their guys, it chaos, frustration and signs that the transition is on the ropes.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
After we curb stomp those bitches people are going to look back on this thread and laugh. They’ll be crying “No Mas” by the end of the 3rd quarter but our 2nd and 3rd strings are going to continue the beating for another 14:30, the last 30 secs reserved for the Victory Formation. The only Louisville fans we’ll see after the game will be parents and girlfriends hanging around to console their boys and hoping they’re well enough to suit up again sometime this season. I’d feel bad for Louisville but I really don’t like them very much. They need to go back to the AAC.