Tech vs. Louisville

slugboy

Staff member
Our defense and (I think) special teams were solid against Virginia. Our offense was putrid. As I recall, after Sims went out, UVA blitzed our 3rd string QB and the result was panic. He improved as the season progressed. I am hopeful that our now-experienced QB room will be decent against Louisville.

Another positive - it's hard to overstate how much our special teams improvements made to our game outcomes after Key took over. When you don’t have blocked punts and you make your field goals, you’re much more likely to win games where the opponents are near-peers in overall talent.

Also worth mentioning for “mental toughness” is that 3 of our 4 wins after Key took over were second-half come-from-behind wins. How many of these types of wins did we have in the prior 3 years?
It may have been our worst offensive performance of the year—9 points and 221 yards against a poor UVA defense. It was a missed opportunity

This is just ugly:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It may have been our worst offensive performance of the year—9 points and 221 yards against a poor UVA defense. It was a missed opportunity

This is just ugly:
The offense scored 3 points. Defense scored a TD on a pick-6 and kept the score within reach had we been able to move the ball. Offense may have been worse in the Ole Miss game, but it was close. In any case, I saw improvement in the offense over the course of the season.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Actually studies have shown 1 score games generally come to random outcomes and generally revert to near 50-50 outcomes over time. In college the more talented team will be above 50-50 over time but for peer level teams it does normalize.
Hard to argue with those statistics, which would indicate that we should have, on average, won 2.5 of the 5 one-score games. So 1.5 of our wins can be attributed to luck (How do you win 0.5 of a game? With statistics!). But I think the improvements we saw after Key took over positioned us to win those games with a bit of luck. Had we not improved, we would not have been in a position to win them, even with luck.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Our defense and (I think) special teams were solid against Virginia. Our offense was putrid. As I recall, after Sims went out, UVA blitzed our 3rd string QB and the result was panic. He improved as the season progressed. I am hopeful that our now-experienced QB room will be decent against Louisville.

Another positive - it's hard to overstate how much our special teams improvements made to our game outcomes after Key took over. When you don’t have blocked punts and you make your field goals, you’re much more likely to win games where the opponents are near-peers in overall talent.

Also worth mentioning for “mental toughness” is that 3 of our 4 wins after Key took over were second-half come-from-behind wins. How many of these types of wins did we have in the prior 3 years?
Sims was also putrid in the uva game before he got hurt, just a rotten game on offense. Against UM we couldn’t stop them from running all over us it seemed, then Pyron got hurt, just two really crappy games for us.....

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually studies have shown 1 score games generally come to random outcomes and generally revert to near 50-50 outcomes over time. In college the more talented team will be above 50-50 over time but for peer level teams it does normalize.
The word “actually” should be stricken from the English language. It in just an introduction to correcting someone. I don’t allow my children to use that word to me or when I’m around. 😉

Actually [tic], there may be studies that show it reverts to 50-50, but when we’re the less talented team (everyone keeps saying we are) and we win 80% of those 1 score games (over half the remaining games played after the change), I think there are other factors involved. I’m going with mental toughness.

I just think of how many times we’ve yanked defeat from the jaws of victory at the end. Didn’t seem to happen last year after the change. That was good.

Edit: I’m sure somewhere in this forum you can find me using “actually” especially if it’s late and I’ve been into the bourbon.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The word “actually” should be stricken from the English language. It in just an introduction to correcting someone. I don’t allow my children to use that word to me or when I’m around. 😉

Actually [tic], there may be studies that show it reverts to 50-50, but when we’re the less talented team (everyone keeps saying we are) and we win 80% of those 1 score games (over half the remaining games played after the change), I think there are other factors involved. I’m going with mental toughness.

I just think of how many times we’ve yanked defeat from the jaws of victory at the end. Didn’t seem to happen last year after the change. That was good.

Edit: I’m sure somewhere in this forum you can find me using “actually” especially if it’s late and I’ve been into the bourbon.
Complements my earlier post "Also worth mentioning for “mental toughness” is that 3 of our 4 wins after Key took over were second-half come-from-behind wins. How many of these types of wins did we have in the prior 3 years?" Seems like after the coaching change we acquired an ability to yank victory from the jaws of defeat.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

As you went to GT you understand a sample size of 5 games is meaningless. But go for it and expect GT to win 80% of their one score games. I think Vegas would be happy to take you up on that bet!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As you went to GT you understand a sample size of 5 games is meaningless. But go for it and expect GT to win 80% of their one score games. I think Vegas would be happy to take you up on that bet!
Interesting. I don't remember projecting that we would win 80% of our 1-score games. We did last year; that's a fact. The fact that we did, suggests there may have been other factors.

5 of 8 games were 1 score games. We won 4 of the 5. That's not a large population, agreed, but, that doesn't make it meaningless. It just means there's a larger probability for error. I'm not saying you're wrong in your statement about in leveling out, just that, with the sample size we had, there seems to be something else involved. When the less talented team (everyone says so) takes the overwhelming majority, even in a miniscule sample population, there might be smoke there. Or maybe someone is just vaping.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. I don't remember projecting that we would win 80% of our 1-score games. We did last year; that's a fact. The fact that we did, suggests there may have been other factors.

5 of 8 games were 1 score games. We won 4 of the 5. That's not a large population, agreed, but, that doesn't make it meaningless. It just means there's a larger probability for error. I'm not saying you're wrong in your statement about in leveling out, just that, with the sample size we had, there seems to be something else involved. When the less talented team (everyone says so) takes the overwhelming majority, even in a miniscule sample population, there might be smoke there. Or maybe someone is just vaping.
Let’s put it this way. Every season is unique. That we were 4-1 in one score games last year has no bearing on this season.

Different schedule and players on all teams have changed.

It was great winning those games last year. My point is to expect to routinely win one score games isn’t based on anything but hope and optimism.

I am hopeful we will. You seem optimistic we will . I hope you are correct.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sims was also putrid in the uva game before he got hurt, just a rotten game on offense. Against UM we couldn’t stop them from running all over us it seemed, then Pyron got hurt, just two really crappy games for us.....
I thought we had trouble with Miami's speed. They outran us several times.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know when GTAA usually sends out seat locations for the MBS game for STH? We're 30 days away at this point.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Mine aren't in mine yet. Interesting.
I just went back in there. All my season tickets are in there except the Louisville game now. It had my seat row/numbers in there last week. I know they were in there because I text'd my son the seat location. Very odd.

The Louisville game still has the icon for tickets but when you click on the link it's now broken.