Tech vs. Louisville

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Jeff Brohm is a good coach. Someone may have already mentioned it, but Brohm and Purdue actually won the B1G West last year, and was 2nd the previous season. This guy can coach. Louisville, IMO, is much easier job than Purdue. Our DBs and LBs are going to be put to the test in this game. The advantage GT has in this game is we have the same defensive coordinator we had last year, and a lot of returning personnel. DBs are also the strength of our team. There will not be much of a transition for that side of our team...given that Brohm is an offensive minded coach, and he's coaching a new team, that's a definite advantage for GT.

Offensively for GT, there are a LOT of question marks. New offense, new coaches on that side of the ball, and new QB. I would not be surprise to see us struggle early this season. We struggled last year scoring, so add a transition phase to that, and we could be leaning on our defense to keep it close until our offense can find some rhythm. Remember, Air Raid is about timing and chemistry. It usually takes a game or two to get the kinks worked out.

I fully expect it to not be pretty for us on offense early in this game.

BTW, for those that think GT would struggle in the B1G, just look at how Purdue performed under Brohm. Purdue is probably the most similar school to GT in the B1G. Purdue does not have a natural recruiting base like GT. I think GT, with the right coach, would do well in the B1G.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It’s a 40 second play clock on all plays where the clock is running. Incomplete pass stops the clock as do penalties. Out of bounds temporarily stops the clock until the official spots the ball. The rule change on not stopping the clock after 1st downs is expected to reduce the number of plays by about 8 or so per team. Also the hope is to cut about 15-20 minutes off the time to play the game.
Smallish sample size from last Saturday but they shaved 3 minutes off the game length (1.5%) with the new rule change despite dropping total play count by 8%:

Probably 10-15 minutes of additional commercials this season each game.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Getting excited for Friday. Thought I'd look through Purdue's record last year and see who they beat, how they fared and this game against FAU caught my eye. At home Purdue squeaked out a win against the FAU owls 28-26. And if not for a missed 2pt conversion FAU would've been tied late in the 4th quarter.

Stat lines show FAU out gained Purdue overall and individually running and passing. FAU QB N'kosi Perry had 94 yards on the ground. Makes me wonder if that's part of the reason they're rolling with King at QB1.

And FAU wasn't particularly good last year, right down there with us for FEI rankings and that's including the 4 games coached by TFG. Our defensive ranking is much better than theirs but offensive is worse.

Screenshot_20230830_085421_Chrome.jpg

Brohm is a good coach but I'm glad we're getting him first game of the season. Liking our chances more and more of catching them before they've developed much team chemistry

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It’s a 40 second play clock on all plays where the clock is running. Incomplete pass stops the clock as do penalties. Out of bounds temporarily stops the clock until the official spots the ball. The rule change on not stopping the clock after 1st downs is expected to reduce the number of plays by about 8 or so per team. Also the hope is to cut about 15-20 minutes off the time to play the game.
Thanks for clarifying. So a first down running or passing is an additional 40 sec off the game clock (if the offense is choosing to run clock).
The final 2 minute stoppage makes some sense, but its probably inconsequential given how fast a team can get to the final 2 minutes!
Previous post I replied to is correct; with a lead, CPJ could’ve burnt up an entire quarter on a death march. Those 8-9 minute drives become 11-12 minute drives assuming 5-6 first downs.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Smallish sample size from last Saturday but they shaved 3 minutes off the game length (1.5%) with the new rule change despite dropping total play count by 8%:

Probably 10-15 minutes of additional commercials this season each game.

This is basically the opposite of what baseball was able to accomplish with their clock rules. They were able to shave ~30 minutes off game time while actually adding more action and having a more densely packed game. Essentially giving you more baseball to watch in less time. If the week 0 trends hold the only difference in the college football experience will be less football and more commercials. A joke, just to try and keep up with comically large TV contracts the networks are finding increasingly difficult to pay out

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Getting excited for Friday. Thought I'd look through Purdue's record last year and see who they beat, how they fared and this game against FAU caught my eye. At home Purdue squeaked out a win against the FAU owls 28-26. And if not for a missed 2pt conversion FAU would've been tied late in the 4th quarter.

Stat lines show FAU out gained Purdue overall and individually running and passing. FAU QB N'kosi Perry had 94 yards on the ground. Makes me wonder if that's part of the reason they're rolling with King at QB1.

And FAU wasn't particularly good last year, right down there with us for FEI rankings and that's including the 4 games coached by TFG. Our defensive ranking is much better than theirs but offensive is worse.

View attachment 14637

Brohm is a good coach but I'm glad we're getting him first game of the season. Liking our chances more and more of catching them before they've developed much team chemistry

Let’s hope FAU is not such a darned good measuring stick for us this year!
:oops:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for clarifying. So a first down running or passing is an additional 40 sec off the game clock (if the offense is choosing to run clock).
The final 2 minute stoppage makes some sense, but its probably inconsequential given how fast a team can get to the final 2 minutes!
Previous post I replied to is correct; with a lead, CPJ could’ve burnt up an entire quarter on a death march. Those 8-9 minute drives become 11-12 minute drives assuming 5-6 first downs.
As understand the rule, it's not necessarily 40 sec. The time difference this year is the time it would have taken for the crew to move the chains and the ref to spot the ball and signal ready to play, which under the old rules would occur during a stopped game clock. That might only be a few seconds in some situations. Someone may want to confirm this.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
As understand the rule, it's not necessarily 40 sec. The time difference this year is the time it would have taken for the crew to move the chains and the ref to spot the ball and signal ready to play, which under the old rules would occur during a stopped game clock. That might only be a few seconds in some situations. Someone may want to confirm this.
Good point... you’re right. On a first down in bounds under the old rule, officials probably had signaled “ready for play” in about 10 seconds on big plays and even less on short one.
It’s really not that big of a difference, to your point.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
This is basically the opposite of what baseball was able to accomplish with their clock rules. They were able to shave ~30 minutes off game time while actually adding more action and having a more densely packed game. Essentially giving you more baseball to watch in less time. If the week 0 trends hold the only difference in the college football experience will be less football and more commercials. A joke, just to try and keep up with comically large TV contracts the networks are finding increasingly difficult to pay out
The intent of the rule change is to reduce the number of plays per game which reduces the players exposure to potential injuries. The long term vision is to increase the number of games the teams play, either with an expanded playoffs or adding additional games, resulting in what they say is a zero sum for increased injuries. And more money. It has nothing to do with the actual length of the game.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Game Day Schedule:

2:30 – 6:30 p.m. ET: Tailgate Town presented by PNC (GWCC: International Plaza)

5:15 p.m. ET: Georgia Tech Team Walk built by The Home Depot (Inside The Home Depot Backyard)

5:20 p.m. ET: Louisville Team Walk built by The Home Depot (Inside The Home Depot Backyard)

5:30 p.m. ET: Gates Open (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

7:30 p.m. ET: Aflac Kickoff Game (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)

[Times Subject to change]

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, Friday can't get here soon enough. Looking forward to the game.

I honestly have no clue about this game since there is so much turnover with both clubs. I could see GT win by 20, lose by 20 or anything in-between.
My gut is with it being a week 1 matchup between 2 teams with similar talent levels it will end up being a close game and TO's and penalties could play an outsize role.
This is my expectation.

The team that plays with the most discipline will likely win.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
If anyone would like to feel more optimistic about Tech's chances, I would suggest you watch the most recent pressers of Louisville Head Coach Jeff Brohm, his brother OC Brian Brohm and DC Ron English. I thought Coach Brohm might bring a more "fight for the university" attitude. But the Brohm's fit the mold of what Louisville has always been - a pro team type attitude. Brohm basically admitted how fired up Coach Key had our guys playing - and then inadvertently stated that the hungrier team usually wins the first game. It reminded me of a witness who slips up on the witness stand with a statement then realizes his mistake as he is saying it. Brian Brohm when asked whether he was more excited about being back at his alma mater and playing his first game basically said that he really didn't feel any differently than any other opener. Are you kidding? The Louisville beat writers deserve credit as journalists by asking probing questions about position deficiencies, especially at LB and WR (to some extent concerning their reads and lack of experience with the offense). When asked about the LBs, you could see Coach West's eye brows raise up which followed with a bumbling answer and concluded with "Yes, I feel good about them." Not very convincing. I hope the Cards keep reading the hype- I don't see a whole lot of confidence or drive in their coaching staff leaders. I see coaches who are worried that their team is not ready.