• Clemson 7-14

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Clemson >14

Votes: 14 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes. I didn't see any passes to the backs/Tight Ends until we were behind by 3 scores. Everything was going to the wide outs. Maybe I was in the bathroom?
We rarely throw to backs out of the BACKFIELD…. We split them out in empty sets and throw to them that way.
Second play of the game was a quick throw to Haynes who was split out trips and he dropped it with a lot of room to work.
That said, two times we hit backs coming out of the backfield, they went for scores. One was called back on the pick play.
I didn’t see a lot of issue with playcalling… I saw a lot of issues with balls misplaced to open receivers and good balls dropped…

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Maybe but he was under duress the entire game. Haynes is a gunslinger and like most of his tribe is going to blow hot and cold. Clemson applied consistent pressure and would not allow him to get loose for long runs. They played exceptionally well even given their talent. Our lines, both offense and defense still need lots of work and an infusion of talent. Some better conditioning would not hurt the defensive line as well. Some of them are just not quick enough. Tech to its credit played hard to the end despite looking downcast at times. The culture that Dabo has built at Clemson with its emphasis on keeping players and using the portal very little has paid dividends. Perhaps, we should do the same.
We don’t recruit like Clemson and never will. We need to continue to use the Portal as we did this past off season.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Clemson has UGA and Alabama talent. To think we could go up there and beat a motivated team (thanks Tyler from Spartanburg!) with that kind of talent is crazy. I’m disappointed that it wasn’t closer. We are much better than we were this time last year. We need to keep all the guys and keep recruiting to continue to improve.
We are better than most of the ACC right now.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We’ve out recruited Clemson a lot in the past actually. As recent as 2006-2007
I don’t think you can use the word “recent” when the high school seniors and juniors we’re recruiting currently either had just been born in those years, or hadn’t been born at all.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has UGA and Alabama talent. To think we could go up there and beat a motivated team (thanks Tyler from Spartanburg!) with that kind of talent is crazy. I’m disappointed that it wasn’t closer. We are much better than we were this time last year. We need to keep all the guys and keep recruiting to continue to improve.
We are better than most of the ACC right now.
As disappointing as the result of this game was, it’s not even top 3 most disappointing games this season (Louisville, BG, & BC).

If we manage to beat Syracuse and lose to UGA, we’ll finish 6-6, and Brent Key will finish his first 20 regular season games as GT’s head coach a perfect .500. While that’s not super impressive, or even notable, it’s most definitely progress and a step in the right direction from where we were. FWIW, CPJ finished his last 2 seasons here exactly .500 at 12-12, and that was with very minimal support from the fans and administration. It took Collins over 3 full seasons to win 10 games, Key will do it in less than half that time. When you’re coming from a hole that deep, any progress counts. Being satisfied with becoming bowl eligible isn’t where we want to be as a program, but it’s a good start, and it will definitely help wash away some of the stench that has plagued this program over the last 5 years or so.

I was hoping for a better game today, but always knew it was going to be a tough one to win. Surely CBK and the staff will have the boys fired up for Cuse next week and they can take care of business getting this program out of the depths of hell

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
As disappointing as the result of this game was, it’s not even top 3 most disappointing games this season (Louisville, BG, & BC).

If we manage to beat Syracuse and lose to UGA, we’ll finish 6-6, and Brent Key will finish his first 20 regular season games as GT’s head coach a perfect .500. While that’s not super impressive, or even notable, it’s most definitely progress and a step in the right direction from where we were. FWIW, CPJ finished his last 2 seasons here exactly .500 at 12-12, and that was with very minimal support from the fans and administration. It took Collins over 3 full seasons to win 10 games, Key will do it in less than half that time. When you’re coming from a hole that deep, any progress counts. Being satisfied with becoming bowl eligible isn’t where we want to be as a program, but it’s a good start, and it will definitely help wash away some of the stench that has plagued this program over the last 5 years or so.

I was hoping for a better game today, but always knew it was going to be a tough one to win. Surely CBK and the staff will have the boys fired up for Cuse next week and they can take care of business getting this program out of the depths of hell
It’s hard to turn programs around, especially one as bad as GT was. Marvell at FSU was 8-13 his first 2 years with far more talent. Mario Christina’s is 10-11 so far his first 2 years again with far more talent.

Most turnarounds take time

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s hard to turn programs around, especially one as bad as GT was. Marvell at FSU was 8-13 his first 2 years with far more talent. Mario Christina’s is 10-11 so far his first 2 years again with far more talent.

Most turnarounds take time
I don't know if it was intentional, but I like your nicknames for the FSU and Miami coaches!

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
We rarely throw to backs out of the BACKFIELD…. We split them out in empty sets and throw to them that way.
Second play of the game was a quick throw to Haynes who was split out trips and he dropped it with a lot of room to work.
That said, two times we hit backs coming out of the backfield, they went for scores. One was called back on the pick play.
I didn’t see a lot of issue with playcalling… I saw a lot of issues with balls misplaced to open receivers and good balls dropped…

From the game summary, I see that we had a big 34 yards from the Tight Ends with 3 catches.

Apparently, I didn't recognize those times that the backs were split out. However, the Only back shown as "receiving" in the game summary was Dontae with 2 catches for 30 yards total.

I am just frustrated that we looked so inconsistent on offense. I realize that it's due to superior talent on Clemson's defense!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
From the game summary, I see that we had a big 34 yards from the Tight Ends with 3 catches.

Apparently, I didn't recognize those times that the backs were split out. However, the Only back shown as "receiving" in the game summary was Dontae with 2 catches for 30 yards total.

I am just frustrated that we looked so inconsistent on offense. I realize that it's due to superior talent on Clemson's defense!
Simply Clemson won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and it wasn’t even a contest. They dominated. Not much good will happen when your OL and DL get beat like drums.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Not disagreeing. O struggled mightily tonight. Some credit to Clem is warranted.

With regard to the RB passes, I’m speaking generally about our offensive approach… we go empty a lot, so when we throw to RB, they’re typically out wide. specifically tonight I remember two throws to backs split out… one was behind LOS and didn’t go for much. The other was dropped and could’ve gone for some yardage.

I don’t know if not using RB out of backfield is a tendency or by design. When we did do it tonight, it went for TD both times. We haven’t really done it before tonight that I remember. I’m good with holding that for the right time if that’s what we are actually doing…

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We don’t recruit like Clemson and never will. We need to continue to use the Portal as we did this past off season.
Judiciously. I don't think it works all that well and is certainly not a foundation to build a program upon. It is true there can be an occasional gold nugget even for a program like Tech but this is not the way to go in building a solid program. IMHO

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Judiciously. I don't think it works all that well and is certainly not a foundation to build a program upon. It is true there can be an occasional gold nugget even for a program like Tech but this is not the way to go in building a solid program. IMHO
The Portal is a good bulk of our offense. We need to recruit HS as well as we can and do the same in the Portal. We will lose guys we brought in as freshmen via the Portal every year. We can’t ignore any avenue for talent. We need LBs from the Portal next year for sure.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I saw a lot of issues with balls misplaced to open receivers and good balls dropped…
I saw a lot of bad play from WRs and some forced passes from King. I do not think the picks were all on him.

On the first pick, Malik stood there waiting for the pass instead of moving towards the ball. You cannot sit there waiting for the pass in man to man coverage.

On the second pick, King throws a 50-50 ball to Singleton who does little to fight for the ball. The defender also makes an incredible interception.

On the third pick, it looked like King was expecting Boyd to turn towards the sideline and not continue downfield. There was an animated discussion on the bench between the two.

Only the fourth one looked like a really bad pass, but who could blame King after the WRs had let him down to that point.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I saw a lot of bad play from WRs and some forced passes from King. I do not think the picks were all on him.

On the first pick, Malik stood there waiting for the pass instead of moving towards the ball. You cannot sit there waiting for the pass in man to man coverage.

On the second pick, King throws a 50-50 ball to Singleton who does little to fight for the ball. The defender also makes an incredible interception.

On the third pick, it looked like King was expecting Boyd to turn towards the sideline and not continue downfield. There was an animated discussion on the bench between the two.

Only the fourth one looked like a really bad pass, but who could blame King after the WRs had let him down to that point.
I agree on a couple of the INTs…

Clem DBs were very physical. Particularly on the singleton pass you mention, the DB had him bodied against the sideline and singleton allowed it. If he fights back to the ball, we probably prevent the int and maybe even draw the flag (ok… asking those guys to throw a flag on the purple D is a stretch).

King missed a couple more that didn’t result in picks and his receivers didn’t help much when he put it where it needed to be either. Tough afternoon all around. Hope our WR can get back to making plays. I credit Clem DBs for playing tougher physically and mentally than our WR yesterday

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The Portal is a good bulk of our offense. We need to recruit HS as well as we can and do the same in the Portal. We will lose guys we brought in as freshmen via the Portal every year. We can’t ignore any avenue for talent. We need LBs from the Portal next year for sure.
"The Portal is a good bulk of our offense." Maybe that is what is wrong with it. Getting good linemen from the portal has been particularly difficult.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
"The Portal is a good bulk of our offense." Maybe that is what is wrong with it. Getting good linemen from the portal has been particularly difficult.
Not sure I fully get your meaning. I believe it reflects poor recruting for an extended period of time. We have two transfers on the OL who play a lot. #55 & 65. We seem to be settling out their with HS recruits. Still we should always be looking for talent as injuries are unpredictable but they will happen.

“Skill positions” are easier to get immediate contributors on offense.

If our defense was as good as our offense we would be a good team, not a team trying to get 6 wins.