• Clemson 7-14

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Clemson >14

Votes: 14 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Why are folks saying Clempson's D is elite and world beating? Yo! They 5-4 just like us. Tech wins the Bowl-Eligibility Bowl!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Rainy day might lead to ground attack by Tigers... Hopefully our defensive line and LBS are ready for a fight!
I forgot about the rain forecast, which would normally favor a run game. Just checked and it (as of right now) does not look like it will be as bad as Miami. I hope that it isn't too bad for our passing game.
I honestly don't know how to call this one, even though the line strongly favors Clemson.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I forgot about the rain forecast, which would normally favor a run game. Just checked and it (as of right now) does not look like it will be as bad as Miami. I hope that it isn't too bad for our passing game.
I honestly don't know how to call this one, even though the line strongly favors Clemson.
According to this forecast, high of 58 and only a slight chance of rain (19%) during the day, increasing to 48% at night:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think this game sets up well for us. I believe we are going to get "there", but aren't "there" yet, we still need some work on defense. Shipley is back and has some major quicks, if he breaks the LOS, with our weakness at LB he is going to rack up some yards. Dabo is backed up into a corner by his own fan base and is pissed, the idea of Clemson not becoming bowl eligible scares him more than us. My hope is that we are competitive, I think Dabo will run up the score if not and a demoralizing loss will be a big set-back. I agree that next week vs. Syracuse will be our opportunity to shine ...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think this game sets up well for us. I believe we are going to get "there", but aren't "there" yet, we still need some work on defense. Shipley is back and has some major quicks, if he breaks the LOS, with our weakness at LB he is going to rack up some yards. Dabo is backed up into a corner by his own fan base and is pissed, the idea of Clemson not becoming bowl eligible scares him more than us. My hope is that we are competitive, I think Dabo will run up the score if not and a demoralizing loss will be a big set-back. I agree that next week vs. Syracuse will be our opportunity to shine ...
The primary, though not the only, problem with the defense is the play of the linebackers. We really miss the combination of Charlie Thomas and the other one (Ace?) The recruiting focus needs to be on, well, everything but defense in particular especially linebackers and linemen.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
They have the 9th ranked DFEI in the nation. Their defense is elite. Their offense is killing them.

To beat Georgia Tech will not require the Clemson defense to be "elite" just its usual physical self in getting to the quarterback and stuffing the run. They are 5-4 but not "just like us".
DEFI or physical or whatever, they are 5-4. I will not place them on a pedestal. They are beatable. We are beatable. We are #3 (4-2) in the ACC. They are 10th (2-4). Respect is earned not given. Let's go Tech!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
DEFI or physical or whatever, they are 5-4. I will not place them on a pedestal. They are beatable. We are beatable. We are #3 (4-2) in the ACC. They are 10th (2-4). Respect is earned not given. Let's go Tech!
That’s fine, but you literally asked why people are saying Clemson’s defense is elite, and you got an answer. Their defense has not been why they are losing games; their offense is bad. Our defense is also bad, and much worse comparatively than their offense. Their offense is also coming off a game in which they scored 31 points against Notre Dame, who only gave up 17 to Ohio State and 20 to USC respectively.

It’s going to be a tall task to take down the Tigers. We’ve put 2 good games in a row together, but we’re going to have to play much better tomorrow than we have in either of the previous 2 games to have a chance of leaving with a W. Winning the turnover battle and limiting penalties will be key for us to have a chance.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I mean, I get what you are saying, but it's similar to when CPJ was trotting out top notch offenses at GT on 7 win teams. One side of the ball can be really good and if the other side doesn't hold up the record will show it.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we will need a non-offensive TD to win like we did last time in 2014 (actually had 2 in that game). Expect this to be similar to Miami game and Clemson’s D line is going to make it tough to have long pass plays. Biggest thing is we can’t afford for King to have one of his desperation heaves to a multi defended WR for an easy interception.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
That’s fine, but you literally asked why people are saying Clemson’s defense is elite, and you got an answer. Their defense has not been why they are losing games; their offense is bad. Our defense is also bad, and much worse comparatively than their offense. Their offense is also coming off a game in which they scored 31 points against Notre Dame, who only gave up 17 to Ohio State and 20 to USC respectively.

It’s going to be a tall task to take down the Tigers. We’ve put 2 good games in a row together, but we’re going to have to play much better tomorrow than we have in either of the previous 2 games to have a chance of leaving with a W. Winning the turnover battle and limiting penalties will be key for us to have a chance.
I agree that they may be good, but elite? Nothing is elite on a team that is 2-4 in conference play.