Tech - uga in 2025 at MB Stadium

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This was likely a very easy decision for Batt.
According to the AJC article this is worth $10M vs $2M for a home game. That $8M is 1/3 of the likely NIL amount needed yearly.

Given GT has a small fanbase (GT is the smallest public P4 school in the country in terms of undergrad population - which is all that really matters as most grad students are not paying attention to college sports while they are there), so GT has to be aggressive and creative in finding ways to increase revenue if it wants to try to stay in the top level of college football.

GT is not a large state school - those are the ones with the massive sports budgets both because they have exponentially more alumni, but also because they tend to be the 'state' school so they have more sidewalk fans. Also, GT's student body demographics are significantly different than the typical college football fan demographics, so a lower percentage of GT students are likely to be interested in college football than other state schools.
As much talk is made of media contracts, they are NOT the drivers in the difference in revenues for college sports programs - the driver is revenue that schools can make off of attendance at home football and basketball games. Ohio State makes more than $100M in revenue just from its home football games. Basically similar as our total budget. Last year SEC Schools received less than $7M more from their media contracts than ACC schools, but their budgets tend to be multiple tens of millions of dollars more than ACC schools because they create so much more revenue from their alumni/fanbase.

If GT can find an opponent that would bring in similar amounts of revenue at MBS I would expect GT to continue to play a game at MBS indefinitely. This is just something GT is going to have to do to try to improve its revenue line item.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If GT can find an opponent that would bring in similar amounts of revenue at MBS I would expect GT to continue to play a game at MBS indefinitely. This is just something GT is going to have to do to try to improve its revenue line item.
I am sure MBS will always pay a nice premium to host COFH. Would you be in favor of moving all of our future home games against UGA to MBS for the revenue boost?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am sure MBS will always pay a nice premium to host COFH. Would you be in favor of moving all of our future home games against UGA to MBS for the revenue boost?
No, but it may happen. In the new iteration of CFB money will be a massive influence, even more
Massive than it has been. We will have to make lots of hard choices to compete.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think some of our STH posters pissed Batt off when they sent him nasty emails complaining about their seats for ND game. And he decided "I will show those cheap skates a thing or two. They want big time football in a renovated stadium, I will teach them what it costs it takes to have such nice things! I will take away their rivalry game away from their season tickets for one year, play it in MBS, and forcing them to pay market price to watch high level football in premium seats in a nice stadium. And it will be a good lesson to prepare them for what is coming to them in 2027, double whammy!" :ROFLMAO:
(TIC)
I got royally screwed for Clemson and Louisville. I complained, not to Batt but my ticket rep. I was surprised where I ended up for ND, I had to have jumped others or a lot of people said no to the Benz

apatriot1776

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure the point of spending half a billion dollars to renovate Bobby Dodd if none of the marquee games are played at Bobby Dodd.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I got royally screwed for Clemson and Louisville. I complained, not to Batt but my ticket rep. I was surprised where I ended up for ND, I had to have jumped others or a lot of people said no to the Benz
UNC has been the only "home" game at MBS, until the ND game this year. Clemson and Louisville were kickoff-classic games that were neutral site games. I may be wrong, but I think they worked it out because of the contract for GT to get a larger ticket allocation than Louisville, but the kickoff-classic organization was in charge of ticket allocations. For UNC, and this year with ND, GT controlled the ticket allocations, after people with MBS seat licenses that override outside contracts. All ND tickets were allocated to GT, I'm sure that the normal 1-2k visiting fan tickets were allocated to ND, but it wasn't the entire area behind the visiting bench like it was with Clemson and Louisville.

Another bright side is that we should have the GT PA announcer, and all pro-GT graphics on the screen. This game should actually be set up like a home game, instead of the neutral site game kickoff-classics.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I don't think many realize that the higher ticket prices in our renovated stadium will significantly reduce the revenue gap between playing in MBS vs BDS, greatly reducing the incentive to play in MBS. We just need to win big during the next 2 seasons to ensure we can fill the seats in the renovated stadium at the higher prices.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC has been the only "home" game at MBS, until the ND game this year. Clemson and Louisville were kickoff-classic games that were neutral site games. I may be wrong, but I think they worked it out because of the contract for GT to get a larger ticket allocation than Louisville, but the kickoff-classic organization was in charge of ticket allocations. For UNC, and this year with ND, GT controlled the ticket allocations, after people with MBS seat licenses that override outside contracts. All ND tickets were allocated to GT, I'm sure that the normal 1-2k visiting fan tickets were allocated to ND, but it wasn't the entire area behind the visiting bench like it was with Clemson and Louisville.

I think you’re correct. But I’ll comment that the messaging from Tech is between misleading (at best) and piss poor. They don’t broadcast that we have 3 home ACC games, 4 away games, and 1 neutral site game. Which we’ve effectively had three years in a row.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't think many realize that the higher ticket prices in our renovated stadium will significantly reduce the revenue gap between playing in MBS vs BDS, greatly reducing the incentive to play in MBS. We just need to win big during the next 2 seasons to ensure we can fill the seats in the renovated stadium at the higher prices.
That's an interesting question. Tennessee raised its prices (in dramatic fashion) and royally pissed off its fanbase. However, UT knows that it has a waitlist of 15,000 wanting season tix, so all they had to do was determine a breakeven point to estimate risk. In the end, I think they will lose some, but ... those are probably the most price sensitive. If you replace with those willing to pay more and spend more (on concessions, swag, etc.), it's a huge win.

Tech doesn't have that situation. There is no waitlist. For example, it is cheaper for most to simply buy Section 107 tix on Stubhub on a game-by-game basis than it is to buy season tix. Because GT's fanbase is so much smaller, and has readily available alternatives, I suspect that GT ticket prices don't enjoy the luxury of higher prices. I think it is more likely that more premium seats will be created with of course, more services (e.g., free catered food and drink). That appears to be a trend everywhere and last time I was at BDS, I didn't see much of that yet.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
That's an interesting question. Tennessee raised its prices (in dramatic fashion) and royally pissed off its fanbase. However, UT knows that it has a waitlist of 15,000 wanting season tix, so all they had to do was determine a breakeven point to estimate risk. In the end, I think they will lose some, but ... those are probably the most price sensitive. If you replace with those willing to pay more and spend more (on concessions, swag, etc.), it's a huge win.

Tech doesn't have that situation. There is no waitlist. For example, it is cheaper for most to simply buy Section 107 tix on Stubhub on a game-by-game basis than it is to buy season tix. Because GT's fanbase is so much smaller, and has readily available alternatives, I suspect that GT ticket prices don't enjoy the luxury of higher prices. I think it is more likely that more premium seats will be created with of course, more services (e.g., free catered food and drink). That appears to be a trend everywhere and last time I was at BDS, I didn't see much of that yet.
It was not a question, it was a statement. Believing we will be reseating in a renovated stadium at present price levels is a dream. As I alluded to, it is essential to win big over the next 2 seasons to increase the demand for tickets. The advantage that Tech has over nearly all other P4 universities is the POTENTIAL fan base being in the capital of the south in the heart of college football. Georgia Tech with a newly major stadium renovation with a winning football team will be quite a draw. Everybody loves a winner. OTOH, if we do not win big and the increase in the price of attendance is not supported in the market, spending a half billion dollars will be a huge failure. I have faith that our current leaders will ensure our success.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No I would not. But we could certainly schedule one big name opponent a year to be at MBS if they are willing to pony up enough money.
Im not sure we play enough big games outside of UGA to get them to pony up. For the few that we do have, you really want to do a 500 million dollar stadium renovation and then play half of our big games at MBS? What is the point?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Feel free to write a check If that doesn’t work for you, give GTAA a call and share with them what the “another way” is.
I write checks every year and get matches to them every year. But if they're going to do silly stuff like take away my favorite game then who knows what I'll do in the future. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Where do you stop once you go down this road? No more home and homes? Just take money from Ohio State to go up there. Only play FCS at home?

When we play Georgia at home right now it’s probably 50/50. Unless we are on the verge of a very special season, the game at MBS will be more like a game in Athens. We might as well have taken money to play up there.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I write checks every year and get matches to them every year. But if they're going to do silly stuff like take away my favorite game then who knows what I'll do in the future. I’m sure I’m not the only one that feels this way.

Where do you stop once you go down this road? No more home and homes? Just take money from Ohio State to go up there. Only play FCS at home?

When we play Georgia at home right now it’s probably 50/50. Unless we are on the verge of a very special season, the game at MBS will be more like a game in Athens. We might as well have taken money to play up there.
I agree with your points. But then it dawned on me that GT is far, far better in this series when playing in front of an overwhelmingly hostile pro-Uga crowd. (ie, playing up there as opposed to at home in front of a 50/50 crowd). I think this is undeniable. Given this, perhaps it improves our chances of winning AND generates more $$$. A win-win. Just thinking out loud here. Comments?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It was not a question, it was a statement. Believing we will be reseating in a renovated stadium at present price levels is a dream. As I alluded to, it is essential to win big over the next 2 seasons to increase the demand for tickets. The advantage that Tech has over nearly all other P4 universities is the POTENTIAL fan base being in the capital of the south in the heart of college football. Georgia Tech with a newly major stadium renovation with a winning football team will be quite a draw. Everybody loves a winner. OTOH, if we do not win big and the increase in the price of attendance is not supported in the market, spending a half billion dollars will be a huge failure. I have faith that our current leaders will ensure our success.
OK, I should have said, "That raises an interesting question." Got it.

Tech's average attendance prior to TFG is 47,340. I don't see any reason for it to suddenly reverse a long-term trend of decline. That's true for a lot of teams. But even in the Orange Bowl year of 2014, Tech only managed to average 48,519. So, I am not sure that demand will "necessarily" follow "winning". In fact, I rather doubt it. At least, it goes against NCAA stats on attendance and the factors that drive it.

I'm all in favor of modernizing BDS, but I don't think it will be because of a financial return.

As far as POTENTIAL, Tech has to fight the top 3 drivers of attendance ... density of alumni within 5 miles of the campus, an urban university (which correlates negatively to attendance), and a schedule that paying fans want to see.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck

Probably more of a thought exercise than a practical one but it would be interesting to see a feature of AT points under user’s handles.

I’m not certain there’s an correlation between AT points and both ends of the message board spectrum: juice crew to debbie downers.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow

The crowd at Bobby Dodd isn't 50/50. Not close. There are ugag fans that buy Tech season tickets the year they play in Atlanta. Tech fans sell their tickets to arse lickers. Everyone who spouts off about home field advantage is crying just to be heard that's all. Find something else to biotch about.