Tech - uga in 2025 at MB Stadium

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
No, he did the opposite. He secured funds for us to actually be competitive in that game, and in addition, he’s solving a huge problem we’ve had over the past few years where UGA fans buy GT season tickets in order to have a seat for clean old-fashioned hate leaving thousands of empty seats for our other home games. That won’t happen in 2025. It will give our stadium a chance to look a lot more full for all the other home games creating more of a home-field advantage in those games.
It’s pitiful the extent that our alums will go to avoid truly supporting GT football. If you want us to be good, look in the mirror. It starts with us. Pony up.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’ll read it again. Maybe I misread.

ETA: I guess I misread the sentence below. It is somewhat ambiguous.

“In partnering with AMB Sports and Entertainment (AMBSE) to move Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate to Mercedes-Benz Stadium for 2025, we agreed to changes in the contract that calls for us to play one game annually at Mercedes-Benz Stadium through 2026.”
I don't think it is ambiguous. It just doesn't spell out what changed in the contract. In order to move the mutt game to MBS in 2025, they agreed to changes in the contract. That is all this sentence says. I guess they could have described the contract differently, but that might cause more confusion. If they had said "we agreed to changes in the contract that call for us to play one game annually at Mercedes-Benz Stadium", some might have interpreted that to mean the contract is permanent. I don't think they intended to imply that the end date changed, they only tried to describe which contract was being modified.

The only actual change to the contract that is noted in other places is the guarantee of $10 million for that one game. There might be other changes, but I haven't seen them spelled out. I haven't seen anything to indicate that ending the contract early is a change to the contract. Maybe you are just trying to read more into that sentence than what it actually says?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
They get $60M in donations every year, and we get $10M. So they don’t have to do this stuff to be competitive.
Yep. We love to take shots, but our own alums are a major reason why we lag so far behind them. If you want the GT football to be a better product, it starts with us. Buy tickets and donate. Heck, 20% of us are millionaires, right?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yep. We love to take shots, but our own alums are a major reason why we lag so far behind them. If you want the GT football to be a better product, it starts with us. Buy tickets and donate. Heck, 20% of us are millionaires, right?
There’s a significant difference between donations per person and size of the fanbase. Large, state land grant schools generate far more money simply because the fanbase is far larger.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Aren't we currently in the midst of a 500 million fundraising campaign that Tech fans seem to be responding to well? Didn't we have a 125 million dollar fundraising campaign not too long ago? Now it's Tech fans fault that we have to move our biggest game elsewhere because we desperately need $10 million dollars to keep the lights on?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It’s pitiful the extent that our alums will go to avoid truly supporting GT football. If you want us to be good, look in the mirror. It starts with us. Pony up.
This is true, however, you can’t hang that statement out there in isolation. There’s context.

When I was at Tech, first, the Prez wanted to kill athletics. He was fairly open about it and almost did it. Second, the board never recognized athletics as a front door to the university. It was always ancillary.

Subsequent presidents were less openly hostile, but most remained benignly detached. They did, however, seek to elevate student life, which was a positive, and which impacts athletics. So they set the stage for what we have today.

This attitude remained in place, more or less, until Cabrera arrived. This means that the university has actively or passively cultivated generations, decades, of marginally engaged alumni.

Cabrera is a Spaniard who reportedly loves his soccer. He has set a new focus for GT excellence that includes academics, student life, and now, athletics. This is *huge*!

We will emerge, under the restructuring Cabrera is bringing, in time. It will take time, though.

ETA: We need to hope and pray that he stays around.

Last edited:

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Y’all go look at how many tickets we still have available for the game against Miami. Tech fans do not sell out our own stadium against Top 10 teams when we are sitting at 5-2.

We are the ones to blame for this being necessary.

Do I like it? No! But if we are going to compete we need more money. Is what it is.
ATL sidewalk fans are waiting to see if we make it to 7-2 and ranked.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
$10 million upfront regardless of turnout is nice, but I really don't know, man. If the series resumed at BDS in 2026, I'd probably be okay with it, but my knee jerk reaction is this kind of stinks. A three year drought from hosting our biggest rival at home? Freshmen this year will only get to play Clean Old Fashion Hate once with a home crowd.
is it really a home crowd?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just received this:

1729097247942.png

Logged in and got this:

1729097208966.png

We're the GTAA! We can't do that! :rolleyes::censored: