Tech making the playoff? Easy as 1-2-3 (plus 4-5-6)

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...2-3-plus-4-5-6/njK4W/#30c5ccbb.3828699.735570

“They need 1, 2 and 3 to win,” said Brad Edwards, who tracks the playoff for ESPN Insider. “And they need 4, 5 and 6 to lose. That’s pretty simple.”

“I don’t think we could say Georgia Tech was definitely in, but if those three things (the Jackets winning, Ohio State and Baylor losing) happen and if winning a conference championship is as important as they say, it would have a shot.”

Edwards: “Georgia Tech’s body of work was non-existent before last three games, but if they beat Florida State they’ll have three top-20 wins (over Clemson, Georgia and FSU). Three wins of that quality is enough, especially when they come late. Can you say ‘unequivocally’ that Kansas State is better than Georgia Tech? I don’t think we can.”

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Only thing I disagree with is Edwards saying we need TCU to win. Although its very unlikely they lose, I don't see how a TCU loss would hurt us. All a TCU loss would do is open up 2 spots for us and KSU, so there would be no debate. Right?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Good point....But, if TCU loses, then there would be one true winner of the Big 12. So, I think he believes that a split would be worse for them choosing KSt over us than if KSt won the championship outright. To me, though, if TCU lost to Iowa St. then the KSt loss to them would look even worse..... This is a real CRAP shoot. But, I would love a shot at Bammer (may wish I would not have said that) in the Sugar Bowl. I hate sa(t)an and all he stands for.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Good point....But, if TCU loses, then there would be one true winner of the Big 12. So, I think he believes that a split would be worse for them choosing KSt over us than if KSt won the championship outright. To me, though, if TCU lost to Iowa St. then the KSt loss to them would look even worse..... This is a real CRAP shoot. But, I would love a shot at Bammer (may wish I would not have said that) in the Sugar Bowl. I hate sa(t)an and all he stands for.

After long thought of who I should be cheering for this weekend, I'll be cheering for Mizzou, Oregon, ISU, KSU, Wisc. Obviously the two critical ones are Wisc and KSU, but I think the others help us too

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If Baylor loses, TCU gos to the Playoffs unless Iowa State upsets them, too, then I guess that would really screw things up and maybe put Kansas State in their stead or the BIG 12 would possibly be totally shut out.

Missouri needs to lose so we can jump over Mississippi State, which is the highest ranked 2-loss SEC team, and they won't pass us as they aren't playing this weekend and we'd beat the #3 team in the Country.

We'd need Oregon to beat Arizona so there wouldn't be another PAC 12 2-loss team ahead of us in the rankings.

We need Wisconsin to beat Ohio State so they drop behind us, making Wisconsi the BIG Conference Champs, and they'd still be ranked behind us as Ohio State is ranked lower than FSU and Wisconsin is ranked lower than us and we would have just beaten a Top 20, Top 10, and Top 5 team in sucession. Since Michigan State isn't playing, and won't be Conference Champ, we'd also pass them.

THIS is how he got to his conclusion.

It is all dependant on us beating FSU or nothing else would matter.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You know what? This is really not much different from how 1990 happened. It came out of no where, and going into the final polls, it was not thought that us winning the Citrus Bowl would project us to number 1, in either poll, but it happened. So, why not believe? If this team gets in the playoff, that is a minor miracle, and it was meant to happen exactly as it played out. If this team wins a NC, then I believe this would fall into the miracle on ice category....... I like feel good stories. Go Jackets!!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We just need to take care of Free Crabs U. If we do that, I will be happy. We will have an ACC title and a legit shot at the playoffs. Conference titles count for something. The way I look at it, with an objective eye, that gives us a 4/5 chance of getting in. There are 5 power conferences and 4 spots. I don't even want to ponder the politics of it all.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Okay, hopefully, this is the clearest way I can describe the path for GA Tech's football team to make it to the Playoffs, and why:

#1 Alabama beats # 16 Missouri, (meaning Alabama is the SEC Champion)

and

# 2 Oregon beats # 7 Arizona (meaning Oregon is the PAC 12 Champion)

and

# 3 TCU beats Unranked Iowa State (meaning TCU is the BIG 12 Champion with the Baylor loss, below)

and

# 11 GA Tech beats # 4 FSU (meaning GA Tech is the ACC Champion)

and

# 9 Kansas State beats # 6 Baylor

and

# 13 Wisconsin beats # 6 Ohio State (meaning Wisconsin is the BIG Champion)

If these events happened, it would mean GA Tech, as the ACC Champion; had just beaten a Top 20, Top 10, and a Top 5 team back-to-back-to-back, and just closed out the season with the toughest schedule of any team in the Nation at the end of the year.

Mississippi State would now be the highest ranked 2-loss SEC team, and (should be) also ranked behind GA Tech because they would be idle and not a Conference Champion.

There shouldn't be a 2-loss PAC 12 team ranked higher than GA Tech.

There shouldn't be a BIG team ranked higher than GA Tech, because Wisconsin, the BIG Champion beat a lower ranked team than GA Tech (Ohio State) and had an easier strength-of-schedule than GA Tech.

Also, Michigan State should be now ranked lower than GA Tech because they would are idle and not a Conference Champion.

Finally, Kansas State should be ranked lower than GA Tech because the team they beat, Baylor, wasn't ranked as high as FSU, and Kansas State wouldn't be a Conference Champion (TCU would be).

I made my assumptions based on the criteria the Bowl Playoff Committee has posted on their website, such as head-to-head wins, strength-of-schedules, Conferences Champions, etc.

("The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors."

www.collegefootballplayoff.com/overview

If my logic is correct, then the following teams should be ranked in the Top 4:

#1 Alabama
#2 Oregon
#3 TCU
#4 GA Tech

This would have Alabama playing GA Tech in the Sugar Bowl in the first semi-final and Oregon playing TCU in the Rose Bowl in the other semi-final with the winners of those two games playing in the Championship in Dallas.

Once again, Alabama, Oregon, and TCU are favorites to win while Baylor's QB is recovering from a Concussion and hasn't practiced since last Saturday and may not play while Ohio State is now having to play a 3rd sting QB whose never started a varsity game in his life.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Okay, hopefully, this is the clearest way I can describe the path for GA Tech's football team to make it to the Playoffs, and why:

#1 Alabama beats # 16 Missouri, (meaning Alabama is the SEC Champion)

and

# 2 Oregon beats # 7 Arizona (meaning Oregon is the PAC 12 Champion)

and

# 3 TCU beats Unranked Iowa State (meaning TCU is the BIG 12 Champion with the Baylor loss, below)

and

# 11 GA Tech beats # 4 FSU (meaning GA Tech is the ACC Champion)

and

# 9 Kansas State beats # 6 Baylor

and

# 13 Wisconsin beats # 6 Ohio State (meaning Wisconsin is the BIG Champion)

If these events happened, it would mean GA Tech, as the ACC Champion; had just beaten a Top 20, Top 10, and a Top 5 team back-to-back-to-back, and just closed out the season with the toughest schedule of any team in the Nation.

Mississippi State would now be the highest ranked 2-loss SEC team, and (should be) also ranked behind GA Tech because they would be idle and not a Conference Champion.

There shouldn't be a 2-loss PAC 12 team ranked higher than GA Tech.

There shouldn't be a BIG team ranked higher than GA Tech, because Wisconsin, the BIG Champion beat a lower ranked team than GA Tech (Ohio State) and had an easier strength-of-schedule than GA Tech.

Also, Michigan State should be now ranked lower than GA Tech because they would are idle and not a Conference Champion.

Finally, Kansas State should be ranked lower than GA Tech because the team they beat, Baylor, wasn't ranked as high as FSU, and Kansas State wouldn't be a Conference Champion (TCU would be).

I made my assumptions based on the criteria the Bowl Playoff Committee has posted on their website, such as head-to-head wins, strength-of-schedules, Conferences Champions, etc.

("The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors."

www.collegefootballplayoff.com/overview

If my logic is correct, then the following teams should be ranked in the Top 4:

#1 Alabama
#2 Oregon
#3 TCU
#4 GA Tech

This would have Alabama playing GA Tech in the Sugar Bowl in the first semi-final and Oregon playing TCU in the Rose Bowl in the other semi-final with the winners of those two games playing in the Championship in Dallas.

Once again, Alabama, Oregon, and TCU are favorites to win while Baylor's QB is recovering from a Concussion and hasn't practiced since last Saturday and may not play while Ohio State is now having to play a 3rd sting QB whose never started a varsity game in his life.
seal-of-approval.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If we win and Wisc wins, I want that to be enough. However, I agree that we'd probably need at least K-State to sully Baylor's 1-loss hopes. You're probably right about bama and oregon, but I'm not sure that you should be

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea the committee will probably use an alternative form of logic to decide we don’t need to be in the playoffs and move either MSU or MSU (pun intended) up instead. I’ll just be happy with an ACC title. I wouldn’t put much faith in the committee. If it happens it happens.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we dominate FSU (don't think that is likely, although I can hope), and the other dominoes fall, then I think we would have a strong argument if the committee tried to leave us out. If we win in a nail biter, kind of "ugly" game, then I, like a lot of you, believe we might get screwed for a bigger fan base. Either way, beat FSU, and this season goes from glorious to epic......

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd be inclined to say that if we beat FSU and win the ACC title I should be happy.......BUT.......you never know when you'll be in a position to win a national title. As good as you think we will be next year or the year after we just don't know! We need to ride this special season as long as we can and aim as high as we can b/c who knows when we'll be here again!!

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree with 1,2,34 5,6,7,8 and GlennW.
But in the end could they take Tech over FSU?
Tech advantage:
Head to Head
Conf Champs
Better wins with top 10(FSU), 2 Top 20 (Clemson, UGA)

FSU advantage:
Better Record (1 loss)
Better loss - only top 10 GT (after FSU win) - Where GT lost to unranked UNC and Duke
Better Schedule with Notre Dame, Florida, OK St out of conf verses GT playing UGA, Tulane, GSU. but some may say GSU beat Florida last year so that may help GT.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Agree with 1,2,34 5,6,7,8 and GlennW.
But in the end could they take Tech over FSU?
Tech advantage:
Head to Head
Conf Champs
Better wins with top 10(FSU), 2 Top 20 (Clemson, UGA)

FSU advantage:
Better Record (1 loss)
Better loss - only top 10 GT (after FSU win) - Where GT lost to unranked UNC and Duke
Better Schedule with Notre Dame, Florida, OK St out of conf verses GT playing UGA, Tulane, GSU. but some may say GSU beat Florida last year so that may help GT.
I’ve tried to make that argument in my head as well but the committee wants to do everything it can to keep FSU out so I really don’t think it matters if 1-6 all lose, they’ll ensure 4 teams jump above a 1 loss FSU.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
2 ACC team in final 4 would blow up the media, that would be so funny:
Alabama, Baylor, Oregon, TCU, OSU all get beat, Tech beat FSU
FSU still has best record in football, Tech then has best wins over all those teams so they take both teams.
Final 4:
Tech
FSU
Arizona
Alabama
Kan St, Wisc, Mich St 1st teams out.