Tech fans looking forward to the future- Ga fans beware!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
A reasonable assumption given our recruiting success in finding players that "fit" our system and are prepared academically. I will offer one caveat: championship teams are built on solid, if not spectacular, defenses. I see progress in rebuilding our defense but it is most definitely not championship quality just yet. Sure, we can move the ball and score, sometimes in bunches and often with big plays but there are always times when teams such as Miami, UGA, Virginia Tech, and others will absolutely stuff our running game. It has happened before, remember 2011 when we won what was it? Four or five in a row with video game scores, we played Virginia (I think, may be wrong) and they just whipped us. The defense went from barely acceptable to terrible for two years. I am encouraged and excited about this year but also mindful of other years when injuries and defensive lapses ruined promising seasons. We will see.
Thanks for the good reply! My thinking on the defensive part is that back that far we had a sorry def coordinator who also was responsible for a good portion of a down year of recruiting! Also on that side of the team; because of new ncaa academic requirements it was much harder to put together a winning def. Now with the OF it is our great offensive genius of a coach: that with a lot good athletes that the Alabama's did not recruit so much, and his hi school offense that causes those def coordinators huge head aches!!!!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong but if the starting offensive line is - Andrew Marshall true SR, Jahaziel Lee true So, Kenny Cooper true So, Will Bryan true Jr, and Parker Braun true So none of these redshirted. If we had had true depth it would have been nice to redshirt them in their freshman year. I understand Will and Parker didn't need to redshirt both were too good to sit out. We have 4 offensive lineman coming in ( not sure if someone else may move to OL ) but it would but nice to redshirt all of them but I'm thinking one or two may have to play this year. The backups I see are the Morgan twins and Jake Stickler ( which we need at OT ) . If I missed someone please let me know.
Yes, I do believe there will be 1 or 2 true Fr. to play!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I could be wrong but if the starting offensive line is - Andrew Marshall true SR, Jahaziel Lee true So, Kenny Cooper true So, Will Bryan true Jr, and Parker Braun true So none of these redshirted. If we had had true depth it would have been nice to redshirt them in their freshman year. I understand Will and Parker didn't need to redshirt both were too good to sit out. We have 4 offensive lineman coming in ( not sure if someone else may move to OL ) but it would but nice to redshirt all of them but I'm thinking one or two may have to play this year. The backups I see are the Morgan twins and Jake Stickler ( which we need at OT ) . If I missed someone please let me know.
Devine

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Right. That's after losing several OL to early departures over the last few years and having guys who redshirted down on depth.

I think we'll have a couple true fr play this year too, from talent not philosophy.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Love the optimism about how we are assembling long term depth and quality. I will forever worry about interior defensive linemen, however. Not to rehash old threads but they are a rare commodity, usually are looking for the quickest path to the NFL, often do not have a good enough academic background to get into Tech, and have their pick of the football factories. This is not an insurmountable problem but it is, in my opinion, the one area that will be a question mark year after year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Love the optimism about how we are assembling long term depth and quality. I will forever worry about interior defensive linemen, however. Not to rehash old threads but they are a rare commodity, usually are looking for the quickest path to the NFL, often do not have a good enough academic background to get into Tech, and have their pick of the football factories. This is not an insurmountable problem but it is, in my opinion, the one area that will be a question mark year after year.

Agree completely. At least this year we have committees of 5 DTs ( Branch, Adams, C-Henderson, Glanton, and Martin) and 5 DEs (Freeman, Simmons, St Amour, Merriweather, and Vernon) to stay fresh and are some insurance against injury/attrition, a better situation than we have been in for a while. Certainly our DEs are ahead of our DTs but I am encouraged that some playmakers may emerge from this DT group.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn't parker be a better fit at OT? Will has bulked up and parker seems very fast?

I agree that DEVINE IS A BEAST ON THE DOWN BLOCK = lots of running room. Also Devine is a good pass protector.
Devine got put in his back in the Spring game. (In Pass Pro) big body doesn't always mean big results.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

This will be true as long as we keep reinforcing our own negative thinking. In my lifetime it was said GT would never have any Af/Am S/As because of, guess what, academics.

We all remember very recently having M Johnson and D Morgan on the D line.

We have trouble recruiting DL for entirely different reasons now.

We can choose to do better, or not.