Talent Questions

slugboy

Staff member
I don't really know about historical talent, but I watched the game with my father-in-law and we both commented that USF looked faster than us on both sides of the ball. I don't know if its really true but it sure looked that way.

USF has some players that are super fast. It’s not across the board, but they had some of the fastest guys on the field, and some of the fastest players we’ll see this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Another aspect of "quick fix" talent is transfers and junior college players, to which Georgia Tech doesn't compete for. I was watching the Nebraska game and they had multiple wide receivers, a running back, and some defensive players that were all junior college transfers that quickly upgraded the age and talent level of the 2 deep. GTech is in a unique position that this isn't a viable option. Not that you would recruit all this way, but a lot of programs fill gaps and plug holes with this method and GTech can only wait on freshman.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
2007? Lol.

Travis Bell, Durant Brooks, Tashard Choice, Andrew Gardner, Vance Walker, Kevin Tuminello, Philip Wheeler, Josh Nesbitt, Morgan Burnett, Demaryous Thomas, Daryl Richard, Darrell Robertson, Derrick Morgan, Roddy Jones, Sedric Griffin, Mario Butler, Robert Hall, Gary Guyton

That’s at top 5 roster of the past thirty years. With competent coaching and not a disaster at QB that team should’ve been top 10.

Outside of QB that team was better at every position than this one.

So what was our record in 2007? We had a handful of very good guys. And absolutely horrible depth. We managed to do pretty good even with a sub par Oline and no depth.

It doesn’t surprise me at all you are one of the ahole fans that lives to trash Ball. We won and lost as a team with him at QB. Taylor Bennet was trash in comparison do who would you have played instead.

We came into this year with maybe 3 QBs better than Ball. The most important position on the team with 3 legit QBs and a 4th crazy athletic possible up and coming star of tomorrow.

We definitely have some deficiencies in talent now. You’re a fool if you think that wasn’t the case in 2007. The deficiencies may have been in different places than now but they were there. And again, our depth was far worse then than now.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
You are great at making up straw men to argue against. Gets old.

Do you believe we are as talented as we were 20 years ago when we had Hamilton to go with White, Campbell and Rogers at wideout? All of whom had productive NFL careers except arguably Hamilton who was a career backup. But then again he could have easily won the Heisman. Are we as talented as when CPJ took over? He had Johnson, Morgan and Walker on the DL. Morgan Burnett was in the secondary. Dwyer at RB, ThomSas at WR and Gardener at OL. Mid 2000’s we had Calvin Johnson, PhilipWheeler, Key Fox, Daryl Smith etc. Are we as talented as the National Championship team? I’m not worried about UGA or Clemson or any other program for that matter. I just want GT to be as good as we can be and reach our potential. Unfortunately we are in the middle of our worst stretch of ball in a quarter of a century. I just want that to change.

But you keep building your straw man to argue against. We all have to cope someway.

You cope by whining like a little girl who just had her dolly taken away. Good on you for finding a coping mechanism.

Pick a single year then we can compare. Otherwise it’s you making the straw man argument.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't really know about historical talent, but I watched the game with my father-in-law and we both commented that USF looked faster than us on both sides of the ball. I don't know if its really true but it sure looked that way.

Our O looked pretty fast against their D. They have a fast D however, Im not arguing that.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So what was our record in 2007? We had a handful of very good guys. And absolutely horrible depth. We managed to do pretty good even with a sub par Oline and no depth.

It doesn’t surprise me at all you are one of the ahole fans that lives to trash Ball. We won and lost as a team with him at QB. Taylor Bennet was trash in comparison do who would you have played instead.

We came into this year with maybe 3 QBs better than Ball. The most important position on the team with 3 legit QBs and a 4th crazy athletic possible up and coming star of tomorrow.

We definitely have some deficiencies in talent now. You’re a fool if you think that wasn’t the case in 2007. The deficiencies may have been in different places than now but they were there. And again, our depth was far worse then than now.

Ball wasn’t QB in 07. Bennett was. Ball was 10000x better than Bennett. Ball would have been better with a competent OC.

I would take Taquon over Bennett in a 18 vs 07 comparison. Every other spot I’d take the guy from 07.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

Reggie wasn't QB in 2007

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Ball wasn’t QB in 07. Bennett was. Ball was 10000x better than Bennett. Ball would have been better with a competent OC.

I would take Taquon over Bennett in a 18 vs 07 comparison. Every other spot I’d take the guy from 07.
Even the coach?

Deleted member 2897

You don’t think that’s happened every other year? Our pre-2010 teams were littered with second teamers too.

We have tons of players with better stats than folks who make all-ACC teams. That’s not a lack of talent, it’s a lack of vote getting.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We have tons of players with better stats than folks who make all-ACC teams. That’s not a lack of talent, it’s a lack of vote getting.

Are we going down the rabbit hole where you're complaining about someone not making it as an APB over someone who made it as a punt return when there isn't an APB spot on the team?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You cope by whining like a little girl who just had her dolly taken away. Good on you for finding a coping mechanism.

Pick a single year then we can compare. Otherwise it’s you making the straw man argument.

You already said 2007 and it has already been shown that their were multiple players on that team that have had long and productive NFL careers. A few high draft picks to boot yet you still argue that this team is more talented. I don’t see any talent comparable to that on this team and I’m not the only one. Let me ask this, if the talent has t dropped off, then has Johnson’s coaching ability? What has caused the recent downturn in the program? Or would you argue there had not been one like Johnson? I’m just trying to understand?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Guys the only way to end this is do NOT comment on here to the few that try to divide our fan base.

??? The fan base is divided. I see things different than you and quite frankly believe I am in the majority position. Outside of this board I can’t find any Johnson supporters. Even on here it looks fairly split.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The implication is certainly that there is less than the majority of Tech teams in the past 30 years. No one seems willing to dispute that. They’re too busy white knighting because they know it’s true.
Dude, the last 30 years?

Well, since I was going to Tech games all that time, I can say that this team has more talent then most of the ones Tech has fielded during that period. I would caveat that by saying that this evaluation is in comparative terms; i.e. some teams in the past had better talent then other teams of their era, but not up to this outfit. Overall, the Joe Hamilton/Goose teams were better, the 1989 - 90 teams were better, but most were not as talented as this bunch, overall. But that's what makes these comparisons so dicey. Well, that and the differences in the game and the whole business of comparing the two sides of the ball and … well, a bunch of other stuff.

I get the feeling that you thought we would have clearly better talent the USF so we must be a lot less talented since we lost. I didn't think that and I still don't. USF has a good program, despite the weakness of their schedules. Any team that wins 10 games these days is a good one. We saw that in 2016. And, brother, how soon some of us forget.