Syracuse Post Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In press conference Key says we need to be more consistent.
Then King asked coach says we need to be more consitsnt? HK gives coach speak.
Then King asked about vertical pass to singleton - HK gives coach speak - "take what they give us".

SO NO FOLLOWUP by Nice Press.
"In first half both teams had same 3 dl w drop 8 in zone.
Thier qb had 300 yds......but you only had ......

HK still would coach speak.
NEXT FOLLOWUP
"When you got to throw down field you were sucessfull or what ever asked", HK would coach speak.

Later on question to king on TFL king said sometimes the other team makes plays, now we have to go back to work. He is a coach.

This first half *** whipping was at a good time of season.
I have no doubt of victory if we went to OT.

In King/ Key we trust
Maybe I miss heard but I thought I heard they were taking away the deep ball with double coverage. That doesn’t mean you can’t throw deep but it does mean there are times in a game when you might not risk it because an interception might be a turning point from which you can’t recover. Thus, you take what they give you.

The more tape we get on teams the better I think we will do with various coverages. I too trust the coaching staff on this.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is what I was coming to post. Would’ve been 2nd and 20ish. They would’ve had to pass so incomplete would’ve saved time or call a TO. Just outcoached all game honestly.

No answer to them rushing 3. Got blown up inside all game long. Couldn’t run the ball.

Based on the game flow, what makes you think they would have had an incompletion? An incompletion still makes it 3rd and 22. They already completed a 3rd & 15 and other 3rd and long.

But let’s use your first idea, if you get that same incompletion on 3rd & 10 as you did on 2nd & 22, you now setting up a punt return to start the game tying/winning drive.

I much rather 1 opportunity to get off the field than 2

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They were taking away the deep routes. So you try to take what they are giving you.
I’m sorry, I call baloney on the 8 in coverage every passing down. If they’re dropping 8 in coverage almost every passing then why the heck could we not run the ball? What I saw was 9 players most plays within 10 yards of the LOS at the snap and flowing to the ball very well. Yes, they were dropping into coverage in passing downs but not 8. I don’t but it.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m sorry, I call baloney on the 8 in coverage every play. If they’re dropping 8 in coverage almost every play, then why the heck could we not run the ball? What I saw was 9 players most plays within 10 yards of the LOS at the snap and flowing to the ball very well.

They watch film too. In our sets we run out of they blitzed the a gap. Majority of the game they played, 3 deep 3 underneath along with a spy for King

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I repeat Number facts from first half where BOTH teams dropped 8 in soft zone.

Thier qb had 300 yds with lots of wr getting short passes and 5 getting 25 yd passes.

COMPARED TO S CUSE
A. Is our OL not easily capable of giving qb clean pocket against 3 dl?B Is our qb incapable of reading and passing down field with out interceptions? . C Are our wr incapable of getting. separation from db and winning at catch point.

It has to be C.

We will know at ND !!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They watch film too. In our sets we run out of they blitzed the a gap. Major of the game they played, 3 deep 3 underneath along with a spy for King
3 deep, 3 underneath is not 8 in coverage. It may be 2 LBs playing soft but they’re close enough to the LOS to make a play.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry, I call baloney on the 8 in coverage every passing down. If they’re dropping 8 in coverage almost every passing then why the heck could we not run the ball? What I saw was 9 players most plays within 10 yards of the LOS at the snap and flowing to the ball very well. Yes, they were dropping into coverage in passing downs but not 8. I don’t but it.
I never said they were dropping 8 into coverage every down. Someone else may have suggested that. From what King said it sounded like our fastest WRs were getting double coverage on most passing downs.

Anyway, I’m not trying to argue with you, just sharing what I thought I heard from King.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
3 deep, 3 underneath is not 8 in coverage. It may be 2 LBs playing soft but they’re close enough to the LOS to make a play.

Hence, why i said majority of game. They dropped 8 quite a bit tho. This one is on the house
giphy.gif

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I repeat Number facts from first half where BOTH teams dropped 8 in soft zone.

Thier qb had 300 yds with lots of wr getting short passes and 5 getting 25 yd passes.

COMPARED TO S CUSE
A. Is our OL not easily capable of giving qb clean pocket against 3 dl?B Is our qb incapable of reading and passing down field with out interceptions? . C Are our wr incapable of getting. separation from db and winning at catch point.

It has to be C.

We will know at ND !!

No.. our zone drops have not been the best

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don’t consider that “dropping 8 into coverage.” That’s LBs playing soft on a passing down (as opposed to moving to the LOS to fill a gap or blitzing). They are within 5 yards of the LOS. It’s quite normal, actually, on passing downs. LB’s watch the run while playing the short, middle zone. It’s what makes draws and drag routes effective against a blitzing LB on a passing down.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No.. our zone drops have not been the best
Our zone certainty had a lot of “cushion.” At the time I guessed it was out of respect for their speed and not wanting to give up a home run. I also wondered if we thought we would get more pressure on the QB which makes throwing into a zone riskier.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don’t consider that “dropping 8 into coverage.” That’s LBs playing soft on a passing down (as opposed to moving to the LOS to fill a gap or blitzing). They are within 5 yards of the LOS. It’s quite normal, actually, on passing downs. LB’s watch the run while playing the short, middle zone. It’s what makes draws and drag routes effective against a blitzing LB on a passing

You can’t redefine what dropping 8 in coverage is lol

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Based on the game flow, what makes you think they would have had an incompletion? An incompletion still makes it 3rd and 22. They already completed a 3rd & 15 and other 3rd and long.

But let’s use your first idea, if you get that same incompletion on 3rd & 10 as you did on 2nd & 22, you now setting up a punt return to start the game tying/winning drive.

I much rather 1 opportunity to get off the field than 2
and this is from a former defensive player for Tech. I had no problem with declining that penalty.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You can’t redefine what dropping 8 in coverage is lol
They’re not dropping. They pick up the receiver at 5 yards behind the LOS which is a normal LB position in a passing down. If you want to call it drop, fine. It’s no skin off my nose, but every team does that normally on a passing down unless they’re blitzing.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
They’re not dropping. They pick up the receiver at 5 yards behind the LOS which is a normal LB position in a passing down. If you want to call it drop, fine. It’s no skin off my nose, but every team does that normally on a passing down unless they’re blitzing.
Not every team rushes 3 lol it actually looks like he’s the spy on this particular play so his responsibility is King. If you aren’t blitzing you are in coverage. Thus dropping 8 what would you define him as doing if he’s not in coverage and not blitzing?