Syracuse Post Game

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I do not think Cuse tapped into our communications, but they did seem to be in the right defense for whatever play we ran for most of the game. My guess is that they found something on film where we they were able to predict the type if play based on formation and motion. We need to better self scout to eliminate our tendencies or at least be a little more creative in what we run. Otherwise, their DC is about as good at guessing the play as anyone I have ever seen.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You nailed it. A fine player for us along with Brooking who was an unusually gifted athlete for the position.
Here is how gifted Brooking was. Think of all the greats who we have seen wearing the white and gold. Of all of them, here are the players drafted at or lower than Keith was in the first round of the NFL draft (Keith went as the 12th pick to the ATL Falcons). Marco Coleman also went as the 12th pick to the Dolphins in '92. Before Marco you had to go back to Rufus Guthrie (#10, 1963 Rams), Larry Morris (#7, 1955, Rams) and then to Eddie Prokop (#4, Boston Yanks, 1945). After Keith of course there was CJ (#2, 2007, Lions). That's it. That's how unusually gifted he was.

I would argue that the two players who left GT as exponentially better than when they first set foot on the Flats, Keith and Kent Hill would be at the top of the list. Andrew Gardner might get some consideration here as well. The combination of great genetics and great work ethic is undefeated across all endeavors of our time here on this ball of dirt.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My take on the game: This game was a massive challenge for our defense. The Cuse QB was deadly accurate and not making mistakes or bad decisions. He was delivering the ball so fast that even unblocked blitzers from the LB level could not get to him before he delivered the ball. He usually went to his first receiver, threw the ball ahead of him, and then the receiver just used his superior size and speed to beat us to the ball. When we tightened our coverage in the second half we got to the receiver a few times to bat the ball out of his hands. The game had to be won by the GT OL and there we got disappointed and severly whipped. Great game and good game plan by Cuse. Gutsy comeback attempt GT and a strong performance by H King to keep us in the game.. A positive note for GT was good play by backup Seymore and another good effort from Shelley. The good on the defense was tackling (after the catch) and the bad was poor edge containment from DEs and sometimes safeties. Play calling was too slow to adjust. Did I mention too many horizontal passes? I am still encouraged that the D will improve and the O will get more consistent to get us to a Bowl.

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is how gifted Brooking was. Think of all the greats who we have seen wearing the white and gold. Of all of them, here are the players drafted at or lower than Keith was in the first round of the NFL draft (Keith went as the 12th pick to the ATL Falcons). Marco Coleman also went as the 12th pick to the Dolphins in '92. Before Marco you had to go back to Rufus Guthrie (#10, 1963 Rams), Larry Morris (#7, 1955, Rams) and then to Eddie Prokop (#4, Boston Yanks, 1945). After Keith of course there was CJ (#2, 2007, Lions). That's it. That's how unusually gifted he was.

I would argue that the two players who left GT as exponentially better than when they first set foot on the Flats, Keith and Kent Hill would be at the top of the list. Andrew Gardner might get some consideration here as well. The combination of great genetics and great work ethic is undefeated across all endeavors of our time here on this ball of dirt.
".....and Kent Hill would be at the top of the list..... "
This!
Kent showed up from Americus 6'5" 215#........ Nobody knew..... NOBODY.......

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
".....and Kent Hill would be at the top of the list..... "
This!
Kent showed up from Americus 6'5" 215#........ Nobody knew..... NOBODY.......
When I think about this further, Marco Coleman and Adam Gotsis were two others who worked themselves into NFL caliber players (and high draft picks ) as well while coming to Gt as unkown entities. But Kent Hill was another story altogether. He was just a massive human being and without the body fat you see on today's O linemen.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
When I think about this further, Marco Coleman and Adam Gotsis were two others who worked themselves into NFL caliber players (and high draft picks ) as well while coming to Gt as unkown entities. But Kent Hill was another story altogether. He was just a massive human being and without the body fat you see on today's O linemen.
Kent and Drew sat directly in front of me in a Physics course. Kent, at the time, was about 6ā€™5ā€ 260 and Drew was about 5ā€™9ā€ 170. I thought at the time, ā€œThe size bracket for our football team are both sitting right in front of me.ā€ Ha!

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Our coaching staff had a bad game. The timeout not called in the first half and the decision to decline the chop block penalty were major, costly errors. These were not really even close decisions. I do agree with the decision to kick deep. I've made plenty of mistakes in my career. Let's be humble and learn from it and move on. ( For instance, who had input or did Coach Key just make a solo bad decision. Let's have some plan on who has input. ) Do we need some time management / strategy guy weighing in? I know it sounds Mario Cristobal kooky , but we need to be better prepared to make the best possible decision the next time and not have some fly by the seat of the pants decision which does not put our team in the best possible position to win. I will be going to Louisville and I expect a Georgia Tech victory.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Our coaching staff had a bad game. The timeout not called in the first half and the decision to decline the chop block penalty were major, costly errors. These were not really even close decisions. I do agree with the decision to kick deep. I've made plenty of mistakes in my career. Let's be humble and learn from it and move on. ( For instance, who had input or did Coach Key just make a solo bad decision. Let's have some plan on who has input. ) Do we need some time management / strategy guy weighing in? I know it sounds Mario Cristobal kooky , but we need to be better prepared to make the best possible decision the next time and not have some fly by the seat of the pants decision which does not put our team in the best possible position to win. I will be going to Louisville and I expect a Georgia Tech victory.
Youā€™re on one side of the argument. There are plenty of fans on the other side. It was not a major costly error.

Overall I thought coach Keyā€™s clock management was very good. One of the tv commentators even stated as much at one point during the broadcast. You might disagree, but to suggest that we need to bring in a clock management/game strategy consultant/coach is ridiculous. Coach key has lived and breathed football for most of his life. He is far more competent than any one on this board at understanding and managing game situations.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Youā€™re on one side of the argument. There are plenty of fans on the other side. It was not a major costly error.

Overall I thought coach Keyā€™s clock management was very good. One of the tv commentators even stated as much at one point during the broadcast. You might disagree, but to suggest that we need to bring in a clock management/game strategy consultant/coach is ridiculous. Coach key has lived and breathed football for most of his life. He is far more competent than any one on this board at understanding and managing game situations.
Coach Key is very competent . But, I respectfully disagree with those two decisions. They didn't put us in the best position to win. A confident man, coach, team or organization is one that can humble themselves and learn from their mistakes. And I absolutely believe those decisions did not give our team the best chance to win. Maybe there was input from other sources? I am just saying let's be prepared when this type of decision arises again.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
My take on the game: This game was a massive challenge for our defense. The Cuse QB was deadly accurate and not making mistakes or bad decisions. He was delivering the ball so fast that even unblocked blitzers from the LB level could not get to him before he delivered the ball. He usually went to his first receiver, threw the ball ahead of him, and then the receiver just used his superior size and speed to beat us to the ball. When we tightened our coverage in the second half we got to the receiver a few times to bat the ball out of his hands. The game had to be won by the GT OL and there we got disappointed and severly whipped. Great game and good game plan by Cuse. Gutsy comeback attempt GT and a strong performance by H King to keep us in the game.. A positive note for GT was good play by backup Seymore and another good effort from Shelley. The good on the defense was tackling (after the catch) and the bad was poor edge containment from DEs and sometimes safeties. Play calling was too slow to adjust. Did I mention too many horizontal passes? I am still encouraged that the D will improve and the O will get more consistent to get us to a Bowl.
Good post.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Kent and Drew sat directly in front of me in a Physics course. Kent, at the time, was about 6ā€™5ā€ 260 and Drew was about 5ā€™9ā€ 170. I thought at the time, ā€œThe size bracket for our football team are both sitting right in front of me.ā€ Ha!
I don't think anyone ever thought they were related, anyway Drew was from Newnan and Kent was from Americus? Is that right? Both of them were great players for Georgia Tech.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You can stop the clock on offense by getting out of bounds, first down or spiking the ball. Having 1 timeout on offense and 1:30 to get in FG range in todays game is an eternity. In all honesty he should have burned a timeout before the 2 minute warning.
We were going to have to stop them on 3rd and 10-15 no matter what. Let it go.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse dropped 8 in coverage almost all game on passing downs. The deep vertical wasnā€™t there
Didnā€™t have to be a deep threat. We also werenā€™t really throwing medium routes early. We moved the ball extremely effectively at the end. We just should have shifted to that style a little earlier.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Coach Key is very competent . But, I respectfully disagree with those two decisions. They didn't put us in the best position to win. A confident man, coach, team or organization is one that can humble themselves and learn from their mistakes. And I absolutely believe those decisions did not give our team the best chance to win. Maybe there was input from other sources? I am just saying let's be prepared when this type of decision arises again.

And we are just saying you are wrong. But it will take a big man to admit this. We are just saying we hope you are better prepared in the future to analyze game situations. šŸ˜Š

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Didnā€™t have to be a deep threat. We also werenā€™t really throwing medium routes early. We moved the ball extremely effectively at the end. We just should have shifted to that style a little earlier.

Syracuse changed their defense. It was just as much about them as us.

/

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
And we are just saying you are wrong. But it will take a big man to admit this. We are just saying we hope you are better prepared in the future to analyze game situations. šŸ˜Š
I think thereā€™s good rationale both ways. I donā€™t think itā€™s a right/wrong binary choice thing, itā€™s a ā€œhow do I want to play thisā€ thing.