Syracuse Post Game

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
Kennard was good every year he was here. That was a huge loss. With our depth and depth-of-talent issues, we can't be losing jr/Sr multi-year starters.

I'm glad SY made it back after his arduous rehab, but I wish one of our guys was good enough to start. SY seems to be struggling. Am I wrong on that?
He had 4 sacks against WF and 6 total lasr year . I rest my case. The post wasn't about SY it is about Kyle.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Not only will we not be ranked, we did not get 1 vote in this week’s AP Top 25 poll. Not 1 vote.
Nor should we. The voters don't trust this team anymore than we do! We need to earn it by winning. Beat VMI and then upset a ranked Louisville and we can get back in the discussion. The FSU win no longer means anything and won't mean anything if Norvell is unable to right the ship.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
That doesn't make sense. If we had accepted the penalty Tech would have had to make two stops, not one. The only way you are doing it in one play is with a turnover and idk if you've noticed but we arent generating those.
It does make sense. Syracuse averaged around 5.1 yards per play in the second half if you remove their winning formation plays. We weren’t getting gashed after halftime.

What I am saying is the odds are lower for them to have two straight plays that doubled their average yard per play to get a first down, than executing a single play to get 10 yards.

I also like our odds of making a play on just one of those plays for an average play or less. Again if we give up a 22 yard play then we lose and we didn’t deserve the ball back anyone.

It seems anyone thinking that you should go one play route is signaling our defense is dead and didn’t stand a chance in stopping them without dumb luck. I disagree with this mindset. Our defense was not bad at all after giving up their third touchdown.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Excuse my cynicism, but perhaps mods should start a separate thread (so I can ignore it) just to deal with the discussion about The Decision To Decline The Penalty. Y'all could also include stats on Win Probabilities +/- based on the decision. Probably less than 2% difference either way, but who cares?
Yeah, I agree - I think the decision was a heavy one and there's divergent views on it. I'm okay with Key making the decision he did. It didn't work out for us, but that doesn't mean that it would have worked out for us if he accepted the penalty.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Improve the defense...a lot and I will cease being a "defeatist attitude" fan. I do not claim to be knowledgeable but it doesn't take a Nick Saban to see giving a good quarterback a clean pocket time after time is not a going to win many games.
Stop thinking binary, We could and probably have substantially improved the defense and we could still not be a good defense. The bar was so unbelievable low.

I think we are not a good defense, but we are also no longer a bad defense and that is a huge improvement

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Interesting PFF results. OL overall graded okay while HBs graded very poorly. Concerned Jamal Haynes is running out of gas. Half the DL graded well (van der Berg, Biggers, Height) while half graded very poorly (Scott, Harris). Shelley and Seymore graded well, the rest of the secondary was poor. This goes against the narrative that our OL and DL lost the game - Scott and Harris had bad games but overall both lines were graded comparable to the FSU game. I'd need to rewatch (ugh) to get a better feel.
IDK what you are talking about on the OL. Left Guard and Left Tackle were both in the 40's on PFF. That is not good....not good at all.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
A. If you think sacks are the only judge of DL performance then you're resting a different case.

B. My comment about SY was clearly me raising a different, but related, topic for anyone to comment on.
Edge rushers are graded on one stat. Sacks. Second my comment is completely accurate. I said he had one good game. Which he did. Nothing more nothing less. Kyle is gone and isn't missed. Third yes you injected SY in the conversation so I guess I agree with the assessment he is struggling. Not sure what that has to do with the Kyle comments, but hey you be you all good.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Edge rushers are graded on one stat. Sacks. Second my comment is completely accurate. I said he had one good game. Which he did. Nothing more nothing less. Kyle is gone and isn't missed. Third yes you injected SY in the conversation so I guess I agree with the assessment he is struggling. Not sure what that has to do with the Kyle comments, but hey you be you all good.
I could be wrong, but I believe edge rushers are measured on win rate, pressure rate, and sack rate, and not just on sacks.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
I could be wrong, but I believe edge rushers are measured on win rate, pressure rate, and sack rate, and not just on sacks.
When you think of the dominant edge rushers what do you think of? Sacks, terrorizing QB's. Yes they have more responsibilities, but they are the sack guys. Not sure how a comment on freaking Kyle Kennard could cause all this butt hurt but it is what is. He had 6 sacks last year and 4 in one game. Seems simple to see.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Measurement of defensive performance are much more nuanced and sophisticated than that.

Folks are just having a conversation with you. Just because folks don't 100% agree with you doesn't mean anyone is "butthurt".

We're just talking, man.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
IDK what you are talking about on the OL. Left Guard and Left Tackle were both in the 40's on PFF. That is not good....not good at all.
True, Fusile got beat like a drum according to PFF. Brown was not good but was limited in snaps and that's what we should expect from him given in the other two games he has consistently been our worst OL - 57.1 against GSU and 60.7 against FSU.. Geep needs to rotate him in less if Corey is performing that much better at LT. The other four OL performed in line with their usual selves which didn't match the eye test - on first watch I thought they were all bad on Saturday.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The reality is, Syracuse made a few more plays than we did. If Birr makes the field goal, it's a tied game and we have hope for overtime. Syracuse faced a 3rd and long after we declined a big 15 yard penalty, and they converted.

Our defense played a lot better in the second half. However, if anyone has been paying attention, our LBs are a liability in space. A few of us mentioned that teams would start attacking the middle of the field if they were smart. We saw that. Efford is a great effort guy, and he's going to be a MONSTER against the run, but he doesn't have the coverage ability to defend in space...especially, if he gets stretched down the field. Tatum is a little better in space, but his positioning needs to improve. Key and Santucci need to figure something out because I expect other teams to attack GT the same way. Cuse's OC is a great offensive mind, and McCord is a VERY good QB. They knew exactly where to attack us.

I thought our offense played okay. Something was off...not sure if it was execution or play calling. Given how effective Haynes King was all game on the ground, I actually expected him to keep the ball on the 4th down try that failed. Ended up two defenders collapsed on our RB killed the play before it even had a chance. Our running was just not working...Haynes King accounted for more than half of the total rushing yardage, which was way below our season average.

Before the game, I said it was going to be a shootout. I just hoped we could get a few stops...which we did. Our offense just didn't keep pace with Syracuse's offense.

At the end of the day, the sign of a good team is making adjustments. We went into this game not really knowing what to expect given a new coach. I thought our coaches adjusted, and we had a good 2nd half on the defensive side of the ball. We held them to 10 points, but they ate up a bunch of yards when it mattered.

GT is still a good team. LOTS of chicken little GT fans screaming "The sky is falling". No, it's not. Syracuse may very well turn out to be a good team. Also, GT isn't talented enough to just go through the motions. I pointed out before the game that GT and Syracuse were just about equal in talent. GT fans have seen this before. We tend to do this to ourselves....win games we shouldn't, and lose games we shouldn't. That's the hump Key has to find a way to get our program over. IMO, I think we'll look back on this game at the end of the season as one of those we should have easily won. LOTS of games left. GT will still be in the ACC race all season.

As I said in another thread, there are very few teams you can point to in the ACC and say "that's not a bowl team." Look at Cal, they went to Auburn and won. There's not a single ACC team that GT can just show up and win against. It's going to be a battle all season for us. I hope the players take the 'Cuse game as a lesson.

On to the next one...

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
When you think of the dominant edge rushers what do you think of? Sacks, terrorizing QB's. Yes they have more responsibilities, but they are the sack guys. Not sure how a comment on freaking Kyle Kennard could cause all this butt hurt but it is what is. He had 6 sacks last year and 4 in one game. Seems simple to see.
I have no idea to what you are referring about butt hurt, other what seems to be your own. I was merely trying to correct your incorrect assertion that edge rushers are judged only on sacks, but you can do with that information what you wish.

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
Measurement of defensive performance are much more nuanced and sophisticated than that.

Folks are just having a conversation with you. Just because folks don't 100% agree with you doesn't mean anyone is "butthurt".

We're just talking, man.
All I'm saying is Kyle isn't missed as much as the original post my have implied? Is it wrong?