Syracuse Post Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No, I take "higher level" to be well within the top 25. In other words elite factory powerhouses looking to make the playoffs and the factory wannabes. We are a long way from those lofty standards. A long way. The offense is capable but not elite. Special teams are capable but not elite. Defense is putrid. Offensive line has been a disappointment
Duly noted.

I still think we may be a top 25 team. Unfortunately we may not know for certain until the end of the season. There is a lot of parity in football among teams in the 11-20 range rankings. So our difficult schedule will be a factor.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The reality is, Syracuse made a few more plays than we did. If Birr makes the field goal, it's a tied game and we have hope for overtime. Syracuse faced a 3rd and long after we declined a big 15 yard penalty, and they converted.

Our defense played a lot better in the second half. However, if anyone has been paying attention, our LBs are a liability in space. A few of us mentioned that teams would start attacking the middle of the field if they were smart. We saw that. Efford is a great effort guy, and he's going to be a MONSTER against the run, but he doesn't have the coverage ability to defend in space...especially, if he gets stretched down the field. Tatum is a little better in space, but his positioning needs to improve. Key and Santucci need to figure something out because I expect other teams to attack GT the same way. Cuse's OC is a great offensive mind, and McCord is a VERY good QB. They knew exactly where to attack us.
watching Kyle E on saturday I was reminded of another GT great...Ron Rogers. Seems like those two have very similar strengths and weaknesses. Again, not really a criticism as much as it is an observation. Rogers was/is highly thought by those of us who saw him play.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If you are on Facebook, I highly recommend that you read the post in "A Player's Perspective." Really good insight and commentary on the game.
Covington gives a pretty good breakdown of what went wrong. Some issues he points out on D include linebacker and safety play, missed assignments, etc. Interestingly, no mention of our lack of sacks. He, like many on this board, questioned some of the playcalling but mostly pointed out execution problems. Thought we could have won the game regardless of the stat line.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
He had zero passes in the second half for 20+ yards. He had 4 of 10 yards or more in the 2nd, the last one being the killer.

The defense wasn’t bad in the second half. Something changed at half time that slowed the pass game up but did open up our risk to their run game.

Everyone is talking about McCord having two chances to get it right, that’s my argument for taking the penalty. You give Tech two chances to make one play and get one stop. If Cuse burns us on a 20+ yard play in that situation they earned it.
How much of those completions was YAC?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
watching Kyle E on saturday I was reminded of another GT great...Ron Rogers. Seems like those two have very similar strengths and weaknesses. Again, not really a criticism as much as it is an observation. Rogers was/is highly thought by those of us who saw him play.

I saw Ron play. I thought he was every bit as good as Brooking was...he just didn't have the speed and athleticism Brooking did. I thought Ron was great at processing, and getting off blocks...better than Brooking, but the NFL covets speed and athleticism. They were such a great LB duo.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Covington gives a pretty good breakdown of what went wrong. Some issues he points out on D include linebacker and safety play, missed assignments, etc. Interestingly, no mention of our lack of sacks. He, like many on this board, questioned some of the playcalling but mostly pointed out execution problems. Thought we could have won the game regardless of the stat line.

One other thing GT fans are forgetting is that the defense is still playing under a new system. We were learning under fire against Syracuse...there's no way our team can replicate what Syracuse has on offense, which is why our second half defense was much better than the first half.

As we get more game time, our defense will have gone through a myriad of situations, and our communication and ability to process as a group will get better.

The second half of the season for our defense will look much better than the first half. Which is what we want given the quality of teams on the back half of our schedule.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That doesn't make sense. If we had accepted the penalty Tech would have had to make two stops, not one. The only way you are doing it in one play is with a turnover and idk if you've noticed but we arent generating those.
Coach Key said the down was more important than the distance in that situation and he didn’t hesitate to decline the penalty.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We need the head coach to have some quiet time and think about how remote a possibility of gt 24 ol being a total domination

1. Is domination by ol due to scheme? Note in 22 OL a joke, but now being elite road graders?
2. What ways would other teams scheme to to make key hand off. Show db discipline and release the lb are shooting gap right w pulking guard ( see HK post interview- when we pull guard - 67 got beat badly. LB tackled the rb during handoff.

3. Why did we waited till 3rd qrt to adjust. At half JH had 20 yds on 11 ish carries and thier qb had 300 yds passing?

4. Today , can we really think that rookie never a head Scuse coach is way smarter than other coaches we face. Crap, the non rookie coaches with better players may have a plan for our adjustments! Yikes.

5. At this time WHO TO TALK TO to change process to prevent a repeat Scuse 2nd quarter. Who did i listen to ?
By now Head coach is needing to hear it was not as good as i thought but is not as bad as i think

6. Boy , sitting here i am so proud of how hard team fought to the end. Haynes to Singleton deep was fun..... maybe?

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Key said the down was more important than the distance in that situation and he didn’t hesitate to decline the penalty.
Right. I don't have access to the game right now, but I thought time was more of the essence at that point. We were very close to Syracuse being able to take a knee - an extra down would burn a lot more clock. We also needed to get the ball back with time to go and score. The defense could have made 1 stop or 2 stops - assuming they did, the down (time) would have been more valuable to us.

I haven't weighed in on this yet because Monday morning quarterbacking over a single moment in time is a wasted effort, IMO. This is one moment in time, over a lot of moments in time during the game that cumulatively could have added up to a win. Unfortunately, the sum of that addition led to a loss. Overall, I'm sad we lost, but I was glad to see the adjustments made in the second half. I think the sky isn't falling, and the team is learning. And that will pay dividends, even if a loss was the investment required to start that accumulation of experience.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Right. I don't have access to the game right now, but I thought time was more of the essence at that point. We were very close to Syracuse being able to take a knee - an extra down would burn a lot more clock. We also needed to get the ball back with time to go and score. The defense could have made 1 stop or 2 stops - assuming they did, the down (time) would have been more valuable to us.

I haven't weighed in on this yet because Monday morning quarterbacking over a single moment in time is a wasted effort, IMO. This is one moment in time, over a lot of moments in time during the game that cumulatively could have added up to a win. Unfortunately, the sum of that addition led to a loss. Overall, I'm sad we lost, but I was glad to see the adjustments made in the second half. I think the sky isn't falling, and the team is learning. And that will pay dividends, even if a loss was the investment required to start that accumulation of experience.
Me too.

I really thought we would lose this game but was hoping before the game that we could snatch a victory by hook or crook. It’s disappointing to me because a win would have set us up for a very special season but I just have to remember that 3-1 is exactly where I thought we would be after next week.

We are good enough to be in any game we play regardless of competition. I believed that before the season and I still believe it. If we don’t make the playoffs, and have to settle for a “crummy bowl,” it won’t mean we haven’t made a ton of progress in 2 short years. It actually will mean we are right on schedule. Some of us have tasted victory for the first time in a long time and are feeling a little greedy. That’s not all bad, as long as we don’t lose perspective.

Go Jackets !

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Faulkner has got to trust King and open the vertical passing game up in the intermediate levels to stop defenses from keying on run and bubble screen games
This. Why have the fastest wide receiver in likely the ACC if you aren’t going to throw bombs. Singleton has been wildly underutilized so far this season.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

You can stop the clock on offense by getting out of bounds, first down or spiking the ball. Having 1 timeout on offense and 1:30 to get in FG range in todays game is an eternity. In all honesty he should have burned a timeout before the 2 minute warning.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
King answered the why of this in the press conference.
In press conference Key says we need to be more consistent.
Then King asked coach says we need to be more consitsnt? HK gives coach speak.
Then King asked about vertical pass to singleton - HK gives coach speak - "take what they give us".

SO NO FOLLOWUP by Nice Press.
"In first half both teams had same 3 dl w drop 8 in zone.
Thier qb had 300 yds......but you only had ......

HK still would coach speak.
NEXT FOLLOWUP
"When you got to throw down field you were sucessfull or what ever asked", HK would coach speak.

Later on question to king on TFL king said sometimes the other team makes plays, now we have to go back to work. He is a coach.

This first half *** whipping was at a good time of season.
I have no doubt of victory if we went to OT.

In King/ Key we trust

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
In press conference Key says we need to be more consistent.
Then King asked coach says we need to be more consitsnt? HK gives coach speak.
Then King asked about vertical pass to singleton - HK gives coach speak - "take what they give us".

SO NO FOLLOWUP by Nice Press.
"In first half both teams had same 3 dl w drop 8 in zone.
Thier qb had 300 yds......but you only had ......

HK still would coach speak.
NEXT FOLLOWUP
"When you got to throw down field you were sucessfull or what ever asked", HK would coach speak.

Later on question to king on TFL king said sometimes the other team makes plays, now we have to go back to work. He is a coach.

This first half *** whipping was at a good time of season.
I have no doubt of victory if we went to OT.

In King/ Key we trust
King averaged 1 1/4 picks/game last year. This year he is averaging 1/3 per game, albeit in a small sample. I wonder if he's been coached to be more risk-averse. That could result in not taking throws that he would have taken last year - instead he takes the easy checkdowns. Also, receivers may not be as open.