Syracuse Post Game

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree with this logic. Betting on our team would also mean betting that the D could stop them from 2nd and 22. And their special teams would be kicking off from further behind with more pressure. And the highlight of our team the entire game was special teams. Taking the penalty is betting on your D and your special teams which was the only reason you’re not behind 20+ points.

Now I actually agree with the decision to decline the penalty but I disagree that either decision represents more of a bet on the team than the other.
I would not bet on our defense if they were playing Slippery Rock. Hyperbole, I know but any team with a capable quarterback that has good receivers is going to cause us lots of problems. Losing that end to the portal..."Kennard"? is a killer. That guy made plays all season long.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We are not the only ones throwing the bubble screen. It seems like, (probably not but I am given to hyperbole anyway) every game I watched had bubble screens being thrown usually unsuccessfully. I don't get it either unless coordinators think it makes them look smart.
Lo and behold, with more time on my hands than is wise. I actually watched about 20 minutes of VMI vs. William and Mary. The Tribe's best play and there were lots of them was the quick smoke route and the bubble screen. Worked for them. VMI is really bad this year. Undersized on both lines with defensive backs making most of the tackles. This should be over well before half time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Criticism should be reserved for mistakes. I think we lost to a better team with a really good QB that played a great game. I don’t think our coaches made any glaring mistakes. They did a fantastic job of making the score close at the end. Our players didn’t give up. It seems like our less knowledgeable fans have a defeatist attitude every time we lose and need to blame someone, usually our coaches. It’s a game. Enjoy it. Leave the expert analysis to someone that knows what the heck they’re talking about.
Improve the defense...a lot and I will cease being a "defeatist attitude" fan. I do not claim to be knowledgeable but it doesn't take a Nick Saban to see giving a good quarterback a clean pocket time after time is not a going to win many games.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Everyone is talking about McCord having two chances to get it right, that’s my argument for taking the penalty. You give Tech two chances to make one play and get one stop. If Cuse burns us on a 20+ yard play in that situation they earned it.
That doesn't make sense. If we had accepted the penalty Tech would have had to make two stops, not one. The only way you are doing it in one play is with a turnover and idk if you've noticed but we arent generating those.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Love your enthusiasm and support for the team...that said, you are looking at a team that is not that good. We will be fortunate to win 6 games with this defense. It is that bad.
A lot of people on here were saying the samthing 4 games into the 2014 season. Heck, in 2013 Eric started a poll asking if CPJ should be retained as coach for the 2014 season and, although not the majority, a large number of people here gave an emphatic NO. You may be right, but I can still hope.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree but yesterday I thought the SYR QB was getting the ball out so quick when needed that blitzing 11 wouldn't have resulted in a sack imo. Sure, he sat back in a clean pocket when given the chance but he also made quick decisions when necessary. He didn't portal in from valdosta Stae. There is a reason he was recruited and started at OSU imo. He put on a QB clinic yesterday.
When you blitz and leave your DB’s in man coverage, they have to press or the QB will simply dump the ball to his hot read. They have to cover their man for at least 3 counts.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, I don't think it mattered at all whether GT took or declined the penalty. I think Syracuse would have converted in either case. GT had shown almost no ability to get defensive stops.
Our best chance was to accept the penalty and gamble that Syracuse wouldn’t risk it to convert. Still not too mad over a missed Key opportunity like that when we played like we did though.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Love your enthusiasm and support for the team...that said, you are looking at a team that is not that good. We will be fortunate to win 6 games with this defense. It is that bad.
A lot of people on here were saying the samthing 4 games into the 2014 season. Heck, in 2013 Eric started a poll asking if CPJ should be retained as coach for the 2014 season and although not the majority, a large number of people here gave an emphatic NO. You may be right, but I can still hope.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think we were outclassed in the first half - specifically our offense. Their D bowed up and physically dominated the LOS. They were all over our OL and we struggled to get any push on the LOS.

McCord is a stud. In the second half, we did change things a bit and began to blitz more often and/or more effectively. But McCord was really good. I'm not sure that we could have schemed things any better vs a QB that was so on point.
We lost the battle badly at the LOS in the first half. They threw at will, ran when they wanted, and almost completely shut down our run game except for King. We tried to throw, but we did so horizontally with little effect. However, what we did do was:
TD#1: 75 yards on 11 plays, primarily on 3 passes for 19 (Boyd), 16 (Lane), and 8 yards (Rutherford), plus a 21 yard run by King. Total 64 of 75 yards.
TD#2: 75 yards on 4 plays, primarily on 1 pass for 45 yards and a 26 yard run for King. Total 71 of 75 yards.

We scored due to vertical passes and King’s legs.

We passed more in the second half and had some success. Maybe we learned some things?

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
I would not bet on our defense if they were playing Slippery Rock. Hyperbole, I know but any team with a capable quarterback that has good receivers is going to cause us lots of problems. Losing that end to the portal..."Kennard"? is a killer. That guy made plays all season long.
Kyle had one good game last year. Your memory is distorted.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
In my opinion, the defeatist attitude is saying “great job, we just weren’t good enough!” which is what your post is implying. Many of us actually believe we could have won that game and lost due to mistakes. Hence, the criticism. Again, the analysis is part of enjoying it. If we didn’t enjoy the whole experience of all of this, why would we waste our time discussing how it could have gone better? As I already said, this is a major part of being a sports fan.
Your definition and my definition of fan are different. Let’s just leave it at that. My 24 hour rule has expired.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Our biggest concerns at this stage seem to be UGA, Miami, and L'ville.
After Saturday, I feel better about ND and much better against NC State. Beating VMI & Duke as we should would put us at 4 wins. I like our chances of winning 2 out of 3 of NCSU, VT, & UNC giving us 6 wins. And I think we upset one of L'ville, ND, Miami. My today's thinking is we end up 7-5 if we can cure some of our problems ailing this team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Lo and behold, with more time on my hands than is wise. I actually watched about 20 minutes of VMI vs. William and Mary. The Tribe's best play and there were lots of them was the quick smoke route and the bubble screen. Worked for them. VMI is really bad this year. Undersized on both lines with defensive backs making most of the tackles. This should be over well before half time.
Get some back ups and young linemen in the game and get them in early. Some of our guys are likely banged up. Hope to see Zack get PT. He has earned it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Get some back ups and young linemen in the game and get them in early. Some of our guys are likely banged up. Hope to see Zack get PT. He has earned it.
I hope you are 100% correct with this post, but I want us to focus on VMI as if they are our equal and not have a Citadel repeat. Just win this game and move on.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but did we do any DL stunts or twists? SU seemed to have great success with it. How come when we try to run the same stunts or twists, they are ineffective? From what I saw, what SU did was simple but effective in sending multiple guys through the same gap off a twist.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kyle had one good game last year. Your memory is distorted.

Kennard was good every year he was here. That was a huge loss. With our depth and depth-of-talent issues, we can't be losing jr/Sr multi-year starters.

I'm glad SY made it back after his arduous rehab, but I wish one of our guys was good enough to start. SY seems to be struggling. Am I wrong on that?

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

Interesting PFF results. OL overall graded okay while HBs graded very poorly. Concerned Jamal Haynes is running out of gas. Half the DL graded well (van der Berg, Biggers, Height) while half graded very poorly (Scott, Harris). Shelley and Seymore graded well, the rest of the secondary was poor. This goes against the narrative that our OL and DL lost the game - Scott and Harris had bad games but overall both lines were graded comparable to the FSU game. I'd need to rewatch (ugh) to get a better feel.