Syracuse Post Game

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
No, but a lot probably came from someone that caught a very slow ground ball and stepped on a bag.

Honestly if that’s your argument, clock management on Madden is probably just as relevant as playing little league ball lol. The rules and clock work exactly the same. Why are so many of you afraid of criticism?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
That many on this board actually believed GT was near a CFP team this year amazes me.

We have some very good players but we are really lacking essential difference makers on the Defensive Line. When you watch the elite teams their DLs are far superior to anything we have on the DL. Our guys on the DL are not bad players, rather they simply cannot win one on one battles enough to make our defense formidable. That's what most college DLs are like. The elite teams like UGA simply dominate with 4 DLs and then take everything else away with fast athletic players behind the DL.
Not gonna lie, I told myself for about 4 months "do not change your expectations if we beat FSU, do not change your expectations if we beat FSU". Then 3:30pm hit on 8/24 and it was ACC Championship or bust 🤣

I came back to Earth a little bit after watching BC have their way with FSU all game.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming we best VMI 😳 the Louisville game will show us whether or not we have solved some matchup problems or whether we just don’t have the personnel this year to compete at a higher level.
As a plus, Louisville might still be ranked by the time we get to them - and I get the feeling we won't be ranked at that time, so that's generally a plus for us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
For those having excessive meltdowns this weekend I'd like to suggest that you look into a few games from prior Tech seasons.

1990 - North Carolina / Virginia Tech
1998 - Boston College
1999 - Virginia / Wake Forest
2000 - UCF
2008 - Gardner Webb / Virginia
2009 - Wake Forest
2014 - Georgia Southern / Duke / North Carolina

There are some tight wins and questionable losses (and even a tie) in there, yet we managed to have some awesome seasons in the process. Just chill out and watch what happens.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
For those having excessive meltdowns this weekend I'd like to suggest that you look into a few games from prior Tech seasons.

1990 - North Carolina / Virginia Tech
1998 - Boston College
1999 - Virginia / Wake Forest
2000 - UCF
2008 - Gardner Webb / Virginia
2009 - Wake Forest
2014 - Georgia Southern / Duke / North Carolina

There are some tight wins and questionable losses (and even a tie) in there, yet we managed to have some awesome seasons in the process. Just chill out and watch what happens.
Ok. So do we just shut up and let this board go dormant? What must we do?

I mean, that’s a great list of examples to bear in mind, but can we not discuss opinions on what happened yesterday? Please?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
How about Notre Dame?

One mostly ignored aspect of the game (because it fell short) is the comeback. Tech was 17 points down with what, half a quarter to go when the Jackets roared back and were within one play of getting the ball back with an excellent chance of pulling it out of the fire. If the defense stops one third and ten play, I believe we're singing a much different tune this morning.
Absolutely agree! Our guys didn't quit and Syracuse didn't let up! But what happened to our disguised blitzes? Why could we not run counters? Cuse made great improvement game 1 to game 2. Was King put on a leash in our offense for fear of injury?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely agree! Our guys didn't quit and Syracuse didn't let up! But what happened to our disguised blitzes? Why could we not run counters? Cuse made great improvement game 1 to game 2. Was King put on a leash in our offense for fear of injury?
As has been pointed out, Syracuse had a lot more tape on us than we had on them. They also probably didn’t show everything that had against Ohio. They certainly looked better prepared which is the first time in a long while that has happened since Key has been coach.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
See PFF grades for each GT player in the Syracuse game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

What is considered a decent score on PFF grades?

I was curious to see two scores in particular, one on offense and one on defense. As I suspected, they were among the lowest which matches what I saw on some of the plays.

Be curious what others saw. I’m trying not to call out players by name. The scores are sufficiently shaming.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Fusile hasn’t graded well the last couple of games. He’s been extremely reliable the last year or so. What’s up?

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t even know that I would use the term “dominated.” Cuse was dinking and dunking their way up the field and every possession in the first half, but one, led to a score or a missed FG. Still, we missed a FG at the half that would have made it a 4 point game, but we remained 7 points down at the half. That’s not domination in my book.

In the 3rd, Cuse kicked a FG to make it a 10-point game (the only score in the 3rd). That qtr they ran 18 plays for 108 yards (6 ypp) and scored those 3 points. That’s two stops for our D while our O did little and didn’t score (15 plays for 45 yards across 3 possessions). Still, a 10-point game. That’s not domination in my book.

We then gave up the 4th qtr TD drive that made it a 17-point game. But we came right back and scored 2 straight TDs, 21 plays for 131 yards (6.1 ypp), to bring it to a 3-point game. That’s not domination in my book.

Yes, they controlled the ball 3/4 of the game, but only put up 24 points. That’s control, not domination. It was a game the whole way.

Just my $.02 worth.
That's a fair take. We couldn't run the ball and couldn't stop them until the 3rd quarter. Despite some major momentum changers in a blocked FG and punt, we managed zero points from those and failed to capitalize. They had their way with us for most of the game - which is why I say domination.

Despite that, we made some defensive adjustments after halftime and began to move the ball late in the game and came back. It was a good effort and not an embarrassing loss (like many folks were portraying it).

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What is considered a decent score on PFF grades?

I was curious to see two scores in particular, one on offense and one on defense. As I suspected, they were among the lowest which matches what I saw on some of the plays.

Be curious what others saw. I’m trying not to call out players by name. The scores are sufficiently shaming.
@slugboy had a good explanation here:

60s are decent. with 65 being dead average. I don't interpret "average" as being ****ty, it's probably closer to "a player that gets most of their assignments done correctly, but nothing notable". A team of 60s will still win a fair amount of games.
70s is good - above-average play.
Any player who consistently grades in the 80s or better is likely a good candidate for a national award.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Fusile hasn’t graded well the last couple of games. He’s been extremely reliable the last year or so. What’s up?
Looking at the PFF scores, there seems to be a large gap between the right and left side of the O line yesterday fwiw. The other thing that I was surprised with our scores from our DE's, which were higher than I would have guessed. They (DE's) seeemed virtually invisible yesterday and never seemed to be able to set the edge. From my perspective, their angles upfield were terrible and SYR had no problems at all getting to the outside all game.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
He and Brown have struggled a bit lately per PFF. Perhaps they are banged up but still considered too valuable to take off the field.

On the other hand, Boyd needs to get more snaps. I tend to discount grades for single-digit snap counts, but Boyd has played enough to show what he can do.

I suspect your PFF grade can be heavily influenced by the opposing team player(s) you're up against, so single-game performance needs to be taken in context. Regardless, consistent performance above or below average over several games is probably a good indicator of just how good you are, or not.

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
As a plus, Louisville might still be ranked by the time we get to them - and I get the feeling we won't be ranked at that time, so that's generally a plus for us.
Not only will we not be ranked, we did not get 1 vote in this week’s AP Top 25 poll. Not 1 vote.