Swarm Makeover

Use it every chance you get :buzz: we certain need a lot more :gt: related things here. ;)

GO :buzz:!
I notice you didn't like my post about a non-pc free speech thread. Why are you not willing to let adults on this site interact the same way we do in public? I have no problem telling personal friends what I think of their thoughts, nor do I have any problem with them telling me what they think. We still remain friends. I have one former Tech roomie and life-long friend with whom I disagree on political issues, and we often resort to foul language. But we remain friends. Why are you not willing to allow that kind of interaction on this site, as long as there are no explicit or even implied threats of violence?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I notice you didn't like my post about a non-pc free speech thread. Why are you not willing to let adults on this site interact the same way we do in public? I have no problem telling personal friends what I think of their thoughts, nor do I have any problem with them telling me what they think. We still remain friends. I have one former Tech roomie and life-long friend with whom I disagree on political issues, and we often resort to foul language. But we remain friends. Why are you not willing to allow that kind of interaction on this site, as long as there are no explicit or even implied threats of violence?
This will be the last time I'll respond to questions like this; mainly because I think you know why but you just don't agree and in this case I think it will save me and you time if we just agree to disagree.

When I go to a Georgia Tech football game, I am going to watch a football game played by Georgia Tech. If I wanted to discuss something with a buddy I went to the game with that is not about Georgia Tech football, it would be a private conversation. The people that are responsible for putting the game on: the administrators, the coaches, and players, etc. are there to cater to people that are there to watch the game. If I tried to do something at the game like broadcast a message to the rest of the people that are there, I expect that I'd get kicked out. Our QB couldn't sneak the ball two inches on 4th down? You can yell at the coach with your opinion that his decision to go for it was a poor one and you'd be okay cause you're still engaged with the game.

Georgia Tech Swarm is a free place where Georgia Tech fans from all walks of life can come and discuss Georgia Tech. That is and will be always this community's number one priority. When someone starts broadcasting their opinion or belief to the 97%+ other people that are just here to talk GT, we may ask you to do it in a private room or through private message. Members here can still do those things if they were able to follow some very simple rules. Heck start a private conversation with someone that you know wants to talk about whatever you want to talk about and I couldn't care less (unless that person reports the conversation).

Again, agree to disagree, I'd rather spend all the free time I have to make this a better place for Georgia Tech discussions. :gt:

This will be the last time I'll respond to questions like this; mainly because I think you know why but you just don't agree and in this case I think it will save me and you time if we just agree to disagree.

When I go to a Georgia Tech football game, I am going to watch a football game played by Georgia Tech. If I wanted to discuss something with a buddy I went to the game with that is not about Georgia Tech football, it would be a private conversation. The people that are responsible for putting the game on: the administrators, the coaches, and players, etc. are there to cater to people that are there to watch the game. If I tried to do something at the game like broadcast a message to the rest of the people that are there, I expect that I'd get kicked out. Our QB couldn't sneak the ball two inches on 4th down? You can yell at the coach with your opinion that his decision to go for it was a poor one and you'd be okay cause you're still engaged with the game.

Georgia Tech Swarm is a free place where Georgia Tech fans from all walks of life can come and discuss Georgia Tech. That is and will be always this community's number one priority. When someone starts broadcasting their opinion or belief to the 97%+ other people that are just here to talk GT, we may ask you to do it in a private room or through private message. Members here can still do those things if they were able to follow some very simple rules. Heck start a private conversation with someone that you know wants to talk about whatever you want to talk about and I couldn't care less (unless that person reports the conversation).

Again, agree to disagree, I'd rather spend all the free time I have to make this a better place for Georgia Tech discussions. :gt:
I totally agree when it comes to Tech football or other sports or policies of the school. But YOU created the political threads, so that politics would not be discussed in the other threads, and yet YOU limit free speech in those threads. I hate to tell you this, but The Swarm has become a highly criticized, and often derided, site among people who have either only heard about the site or once posted regularly on it. Either keep the site totally sports and school related and get rid of the political or even supposedly a-political threads altogether, or allow free speech in the Political threads. Is that really too much to ask?

GT_EE78

Banned

In the thread "Political Topics at Georgia Tech Swarm" (which is closed to further comment)

you did say
" How can I help political forums be a regular open forum not requiring opt-in?
Show the moderators that the political discussions can be civil. Self-moderate; if you see a personal attack at all (not just an attack on you), report it to the moderators and allow us to handle it. If we have enough people in the politics forum that understand the level of civility we are trying to accomplish, it's possible that we may open the forum back up to all. "

I've tried to self-moderate and things seem rather civil and harmonious to me now in political and otherwise.
I would have thought it would have already been reopened but then i don't have your visibility or look at all threads.
It's true that you warned of a one-strike policy,however you didn't warn that bans would occur without violating any rules.
(at least the rules that had regularly been previously enforced)
I don't understand why this can't be regularly discussed . Also, if you provided any updates for reopening status?? - I missed it and with that thread closed wouldn't have known where to look.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I hate this new site. Cant go page by page. This sucks
I actually realized, in the old design, there used to be a section in the top navigation bar where there was a drop-down of list of different forums that you could jump to, is that what you are referring to?

If not, definitely need more information. For the most part (except for chat and tapatalk not being supported yet), there should be feature parity between the old design and new design.

GT_EE78

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. Duly noted.

<insert Yoda quote here>
I don't understand your Yoda response. Do you have objections to providing updates or having discussions with respect to reopening political threads for all?
...GT sports is a common reason we are here, but having to go elsewhere is less desirable for "other college and pro sports" or movies/music/etc or political topics. That variety is what once made this a special website...
If it's all about GT sports only, why are "other college and pro sports" or movies/music/etc still allowed?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I don't understand your Yoda response. Do you have objections to providing updates or having discussions with respect to reopening political threads for all?
...GT sports is a common reason we are here, but having to go elsewhere is less desirable for "other college and pro sports" or movies/music/etc or political topics. That variety is what once made this a special website...
If it's all about GT sports only, why are "other college and pro sports" or movies/music/etc still allowed?
The members that have opted into discuss politics and have been doing so without personal attacks seem to be doing ok so I think we can keep it that way for the time being. A few bad eggs, not surprisingly, got themselves banned. Obviously, those that were effected because they only "tried" to self-moderate but still resorted to personal attacks (on other Georgia Tech fans by the way), will unfortunately not have much of a voice when it comes to whether or not political topics can be discussed in all forums. If that time ever comes, the mods will discuss internally and make the decision.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Deleted member 2897

That’s not completely true.

A month ago roughly, I was banned from the political forum for repeatedly telling another member to stop harassing me and trying to start a fight. (There was no cursing or personal attacks in the exchange.). A few weeks ago, when discussing the NASCAR rope topic in the general lounge, I mentioned a huge news story being ignored because they didn’t create clickbait like the NASCAR story did - I got an email from you saying you wanted to ban me permanently from the lounge because part of my post referred to a major news story containing political themes in your opinion. I guess the other Mods voted against you again - that’s happened multiple times according to what you’ve told me. IIWII.

Last edited by a moderator: