Surprising 92.9 the game quote

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I wouldn’t crow too soon. I’d say that there is a decent chance that our OFEI goes down next year. Will you say then that your eyes are open to how much CPJ did for us on the field?

I’m excited about the change but I think we can talk up the new coach without bashing the old one. CPJ did great things at Tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OFEI is not the measure of success you must think it is. Who cares if we are #1 in OFEI but end up 5-7 because every other area of performance is lacking?

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Perception is everything. I didn’t see him as rude; I found his behavior to be quite entertaining. But yeah, his demeanor is probably more acceptable to the older crowd. The focus today seems to be more about style rather than substance when having to choose between the two.

A coach does not recruit his peers. He recruits 16-18 year olds. Everything that is sold today is based on style. If it weren't, Apple would be trying to sell rotary phones.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You guys will really have your eyes opened now to how much Paul Johnson hurt GT off the field.

The media was very positive when CPJ was hired. It was an interesting, aggressive, hire that made national headlines because Option Football was back in a major conference. We got a lot of good press. Fairly similar to today. Why don’t we wait and see what CGC can actually do before we start waving a wand and claiming Tech’s perception is fixed. Very premature. I remember people saying the same thing with CPJ was hired and I rolled my eyes then, too. CGC is an exciting hire, but I’m not going to get ludacris here, especially in a fashion that bashes our HoF coach as he leaves.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I’m done arguing so I’ll just say this :
Paul was a great football coach, did it the right way and was honest and true to every promise he made to players.
BUT
In terms of growing and uniting the fanbase and selling the GT brand to the media and recruits, he failed in that department.
And with my original statement that is what I meant about him hurting us off the field.

This times 10000000000%

CPJ was a football coach. NOT A BRAND MANAGER. He probably thought that's the ADs problem.

Geoff is about to make Todd's job that much easier in a lot of departments, and a lot tougher in others.

CPJ was a hardnosed football coach that went by his book and didn't care what people thought about him or the program. His idea was if we win then shut up.

Geoff is more of if we win and you complain, why? Let's fix it. I think Collins is more of a people person and will know the fanbase better.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn’t crow too soon. I’d say that there is a decent chance that our OFEI goes down next year. Will you say then that your eyes are open to how much CPJ did for us on the field?

I’m excited about the change but I think we can talk up the new coach without bashing the old one. CPJ did great things at Tech.

johnson stayed away from the local media as far as he could. The man didn't like people to question him about anything( esp fans ) related to football.He had nothing but distain for media. You're not being honest if you think this didn't hurt Tech football.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
johnson stayed away from the local media as far as he could. The man didn't like people to question him about anything( esp fans ) related to football.He had nothing but distain for media. You're not being honest if you think this didn't hurt Tech football.

Give it a rest. Did you read what I wrote or are you just wanting to stir the pot? I said we could talk up the new coach without bashing the old one. I really thought you CPJ haters would be rejoicing but you’re still hating.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll take my chances going 7-5 with the spread and being able to recruit in the future, than 7-5 with the option and getting owned by Duke.
Stick with it SW.It will be a great change to see a Tech FB coach talking positive about the players & recruiting vs a sad coach whose offense has run it's course and talking about how the absence of facilities hurts his chances.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I see what I hoped to see has not happened we are still a divided fan base sad but true. CPJ is gone he did a great job for Tech if you didn't like the 3O there is no need to talk bad about him. We have a new coach those who loved CPJ let it go. How will it work out no one knows it's only your opinion could be right could be wrong. But please pull together and support the players. If you can't do that you are not a fan only an as* who wants your way. Pick fan or As* .

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
If we truly get new fans that will spend their $$ and stay with GT through the tough times, I like it. Hard to do that at the Institute. We won't be moving BDS to the burbs anytime soon. The Braves built a new stadium to help with their fans - our fans will continue to deal with downtown ATL and the "fun" of that.
ABuzz, you're correct, Techwill not be moving BDS. However, in regards to that, if Kaseem Reed and the city council had done a few things around the Ted that the Braves had requested for years they would still be there. We all saw how quickly the city made money available to the Falcons for a new stadium when they talked about moving. They told the Braves to pound sand!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
To me Johnson has looked tired the last couple of years, just like he was not having any fun, i'm not shocked he retired. i think he did an excellent job here, but regardless of how it happened change was going to come soon no matter what. Given attendance at Bobby Dodd was the lowest since the stadium expansion this season there was basically no way the AD was going to stay with a disciple.

Johnson was a really good coach here, i'd say the 3rd best i've seen - after Bobby Ross and George O'Leary. He ran a clean program, graduated his players, never made GT look bad.
He is one of the 2 best OC's i've ever seen here along with Friedgen.

I hope Collins ultimately has a better winning percentage than Johnson but only time will tell. I think TStan did an excellent job with this search, rumor is he talked to at least 4 coaches, took his time, found the guy he thinks is the best fir. Hopefully TStan made the right pick.

Lookin forward to supporting Coach Collins.
Hear, hear !!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if anyone has been to a pastner game this year, but the mcthrillhamish isn't exactly selling out.

okogie > pastner.
The reality of it being hard to recruit at GT even with a rah rah coach is setting in. Remember Pastner was supposed to be a great recruiter. I like the hire and will be behind him 110% We will see what he can do.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I’m not passionate enough for some of the lovers/haters on this board. I thought CPJ was a great coach. I’m excited about CGC as well. Isn’t it okay to like and appreciate both? In the words of that old philosopher, Rodney King, can’t we just get along?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You are relatively young so I’ll assume you aren’t aware of how successful O’Leary was at recruiting here. And also assume you aren’t aware of how successful Collins was in his stint here under Gailey. Saying we didn’t recruit well under Johnson so it just can’t be done is like saying I can’t throw for 300 yards in an NFL game so it can’t be done. Johnson was never seen as an even average recruiter. He was a great coach however and had some really good years thanks to his genius. Collins will be trying a different approach and I for one am happy to see us trying to compete with the powers for the first time since O’Leary.
um, we still need more exceptions to get those guys in.
Remember, we got into trouble because of our recruiting under O'Leary. And our APR under Gailey was atrocious.
PJ fought like hell to get more staff - which he finally got and won't get to use - and an upgrade in facilities - which again, he got and won't get to put to use in recruiting.
It is a different world recruiting at Tech now than it was under O'Leary. Collins and his tactics aren't going to equal a flood of 4 and 5 stars. Not unless he gets the academic exceptions that PJ's high APR should make possible.