Surprising 92.9 the game quote

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Look at what Coach Pastner did his first year in the basketball program, sold out tons of games and had students camping out for tickets, it’s all about a Coaches attitude. You think Paul Johnson ever met with students the week before the game and talked to them and got them fired up? He might have but I doubt it.
IIRC he had clinics for foreign students, in attempt to grow interest, in the many foreign students at Tech.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Odd year means Clemson on the road and UGA at home, our kyptonite.

OOC is Temple at Temple, USF at home, UGA at home, and a triple option FCS team in the citadel at home, so 2 wins seems doable. but i wouldnt be surprised at 1-3 or 3-1.
Cross game is an improved NC STate
Duke at duke...
UNC at home
Pitt at home
VT at home
UVA at charlottesville....
Miami in Miami....
I wonder if our scout team will be able to simulate The Citadels TO?

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ has set the bar, a bar you and your comrades thought too low. It’s only fair that the next guy is compared to it and he better damn well beat it.

Again, I don’t understand this. CPJ retired. It’s not like we got him fired or anything. I do think GT can do better. Chuck Oliver said it best today. CPJs biggest failure was accepting GT couldn’t recruit better and that only a certain type of athlete could play here. So he settled for that. I don’t think GT has to setttle for anything.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me Johnson has looked tired the last couple of years, just like he was not having any fun, i'm not shocked he retired. i think he did an excellent job here, but regardless of how it happened change was going to come soon no matter what. Given attendance at Bobby Dodd was the lowest since the stadium expansion this season there was basically no way the AD was going to stay with a disciple.

Johnson was a really good coach here, i'd say the 3rd best i've seen - after Bobby Ross and George O'Leary. He ran a clean program, graduated his players, never made GT look bad.
He is one of the 2 best OC's i've ever seen here along with Friedgen.

I hope Collins ultimately has a better winning percentage than Johnson but only time will tell. I think TStan did an excellent job with this search, rumor is he talked to at least 4 coaches, took his time, found the guy he thinks is the best fir. Hopefully TStan made the right pick.

Lookin forward to supporting Coach Collins.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
He was rude and disliked by many, struggled in recruiting, had other coaches in the conference Dislike him. Other than Winning Ball games and graduating players, which he was great at, Paul wasn’t the saint you all make him out to be. You ever wonder why all these teams get bye weeks before GT and why GT got the worst bowl?
Why all the acrimony? I mean, the guy is gone. Why not make a case for why it will be great in the future rather than trashing the guy on his way out the door?

Scubapro

Banned
To me Johnson has looked tired the last couple of years, just like he was not having any fun, i'm not shocked he retired. i think he did an excellent job here, but regardless of how it happened change was going to come soon no matter what. Given attendance at Bobby Dodd was the lowest since the stadium expansion this season there was basically no way the AD was going to stay with a disciple.

Johnson was a really good coach here, i'd say the 3rd best i've seen - after Bobby Ross and George O'Leary. He ran a clean program, graduated his players, never made GT look bad.
He is one of the 2 best OC's i've ever seen here along with Friedgen.

I hope Collins ultimately has a better winning percentage than Johnson but only time will tell. I think TStan did an excellent job with this search, rumor is he talked to at least 4 coaches, took his time, found the guy he thinks is the best fir. Hopefully TStan made the right pick.

Lookin forward to supporting Coach Collins.

The PJ situation has been run into the ground .... but...consider this when judging him as a person and steward of our program ...PJ seemed to want to retire for a few years...why didn't he?
He could have left right in the middle of Boboobski's stint as our AD...what would be the shape of the Tech program had Sasquach been allowed to hire a coach.
PJ wasn't going to let that happen and see the program burn. He knew what he was doing and I will always be grateful.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Again, I don’t understand this. CPJ retired. It’s not like we got him fired or anything. I do think GT can do better. Chuck Oliver said it best today. CPJs biggest failure was accepting GT couldn’t recruit better and that only a certain type of athlete could play here. So he settled for that. I don’t think GT has to setttle for anything.
Chuck Oliver doesn't know a damn thing.
Recruiting at Tech is a different lamina. It just is. We're not getting factory kids. We're just not. This whole hooey about now that the option and PJ are about to be gone we can start getting 5 stars is just BS - and wishful thinking.
Also, PJ didn't care one iota about somebody else's recruiting rankings. He paid zero attention to how many stars some service gave a kid.
These guys still have to get into school - and stay there. PJ built up the APR to a level few can touch and he should have been rewarded with a few additional exceptions. He started getting a few more.
But 5 stars, to paraphrase Cardale Jones , don't come to play school.
So what happens if we expend all this energy and resources on getting these 5 stars and high 4 stars - and they still don't come? What then?
Hey, I'll be in the stands cheering Tech no matter who the coach is. But unless Collins finds a way to open the checkbook (like 5 stars aren't going somewhere without a little financial incentive thrown somebody's way) or a way for the Hill to look the other way on admissions criteria, I don't see recruiting taking this big leap forward.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I wouldn’t crow too soon. I’d say that there is a decent chance that our OFEI goes down next year. Will you say then that your eyes are open to how much CPJ did for us on the field?

I’m excited about the change but I think we can talk up the new coach without bashing the old one. CPJ did great things at Tech.

Worth reading through again...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Look at what Coach Pastner did his first year in the basketball program, sold out tons of games and had students camping out for tickets, it’s all about a Coaches attitude. You think Paul Johnson ever met with students the week before the game and talked to them and got them fired up? He might have but I doubt it.
Selling out a basketball game AT DUKE is not that hard, even for GT.