Support your team. Do not abuse the players.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It is amazing to me how many of us cannot seem to face the fact that we are not , and have not been , a very good football team in quite a while. That certainly DOES NOT mean that we don't have fantastic young men , who work very hard and give great effort , on and off the field. Obviously football is a TEAM game and requires good , if not great execution in ALL phases of each game. A breakdown of even one can usually mean a loss against good competition. Looking back , I did not think Pitt would come in beat down for this game , but physically prepared by playing against superior talent against PSU.
I also think the " luck " will even out over the season and we will end up with a record our FOOTBALL talent and coaching deserve : 6-6.
Ultimately the HC takes responsibility for all team parts on the field, and I have my beefs with CPJ like many of you for the physical , scheme, and mental preparation of the team for the last couple of years. Maybe , he can't , like anyone else ,recruit better talent to GT under the current academic requirements. Interesting to me about that though is that Duke seems to be actually improving under those same guidelines. Anyone remember how truly horrible they were ? We used to say we " owned " them and even UNC. I don't think we "own " anyone at present.
I am preparing myself for a tough rest of this year, and relying on TStan to determine what changes to be made to improve the program. It is ultimately up to him. You think you have a tough job ?
Duke, nor Stanford or ND recruit under the same obstacles we do. No-place-to-hide.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You must have missed that we lost by 5 points while missing an XP, FG, 2 PT, we left 1 guy unblocked who stopped Howard from scoring via the opposite field, and we dropped 2 touchdown passes.
Please don't take this the wrong way , but that does sound like something CPJ would say, is it true , yes . But after the fake punt I didn't think we would win, at no time did I think ok now we can beat them. What I was GT 19 Pitt 17 + CPJ 7 = GT 19 Pitt 24

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Please don't take this the wrong way , but that does sound like something CPJ would say, is it true , yes . But after the fake punt I didn't think we would win, at no time did I think ok now we can beat them. What I was GT 19 Pitt 17 + CPJ 7 = GT 19 Pitt 24

Pity made a huge mistake that cost them 7 also- the blow to Marshall’s Head after he fumbled. Instead of Pitt taking over Tech took it down and scored. Mistakes happen- both sides and officials- Good teams and talent overcome these things.

Deleted member 2897

Good teams make plays when they need them. That's why we aren't very good right now.

Yup. That’s it in a nutshell.

Y2Rrixn.gif

Deleted member 2897

It reminds me of basketball under Gregory at the end when we lost 10-15 times by a basket or two at the end of the game. It’s one thing to know you’re bad and lose by 20 because we’re rebuilding. But to have a team capable of winning that just can’t get out of its own way is maddening. CPJs statements at the end were some of the most incendiary and negative I’ve ever heard him say. I have to really wonder what the players think of him after some of that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It reminds me of basketball under Gregory at the end when we lost 10-15 times by a basket or two at the end of the game. It’s one thing to know you’re bad and lose by 20 because we’re rebuilding. But to have a team capable of winning that just can’t get out of its own way is maddening. CPJs statements at the end were some of the most incendiary and negative I’ve ever heard him say. I have to really wonder what the players think of him after some of that.
I really don't think you do. :) I backed CPJ till yesterday and if I was right before yesterday I think he will step down after this year. If not I was wrong.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You must have missed that we lost by 5 points while missing an XP, FG, 2 PT, we left 1 guy unblocked who stopped Howard from scoring via the opposite field, and we dropped 2 touchdown passes.

I didn't miss any of that. We never had a chance to tie or take the lead after the first quarter. And yes, we made a lot of mistakes. That's what bad teams do.

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
Should we be looking for a new GT President soon? I feel like we talk about the Athletic Department personnel more than the folks on the hill who make overall institute decisions. Bud Peterson is the GT CEO and he has let our sports programs get to this point. Outside of our major sports programs tanking there have been all sorts of other issues under his watch as well including ethics violations and most recently lying to the student body about action on some social issues (https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...-changed-georgia-tech/Wwkot07IYKMp5lF96HJoeN/).

A president who cares about competing in major college athletics would be a good hire for us regardless of the HC and AD. I think the negatives of Peterson are starting to stack up and I have never felt like he valued our sports programs like someone should at Georgia Tech. I could be completely off base with this though but we really seem to be in the news a lot lately for the wrong reasons off the field. I wonder what PJ would say about him....probably not good things.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Should we be looking for a new GT President soon? I feel like we talk about the Athletic Department personnel more than the folks on the hill who make overall institute decisions. Bud Peterson is the GT CEO and he has let our sports programs get to this point. Outside of our major sports programs tanking there have been all sorts of other issues under his watch as well including ethics violations and most recently lying to the student body about action on some social issues (https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...-changed-georgia-tech/Wwkot07IYKMp5lF96HJoeN/).

A president who cares about competing in major college athletics would be a good hire for us regardless of the HC and AD. I think the negatives of Peterson are starting to stack up and I have never felt like he valued our sports programs like someone should at Georgia Tech. I could be completely off base with this though but we really seem to be in the news a lot lately for the wrong reasons off the field. I wonder what PJ would say about him....probably not good things.
I have not been a fan of Peterson for a long time now.....especially since he buckled under the sexual abuse rules that violated our constitutional right to due process.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Duke, nor Stanford or ND recruit under the same obstacles we do. No-place-to-hide.

No, they don't. Academically they are very good, but their curriculums are much broader that Georgia Tech's. They both offer many majors that don't require calculus. It's just a fact.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope you are right but if you have nothing to cook with it can be a problem

My fear is that as Stansbury gets Tech up to speed the other programs are taking it up another notch. I do believe he is and will continue to do a good job. Biggest need is to grow students/ young alumni invested and somehow bring in younger fans in as well as transients that did not grow up with a team to adopt GT.

Deleted member 2897

If Peterson goes down it will be for the ethics stuff, not losing football games.

I think Stansbury is a good AD, but it will take a few years to get things cooking.

Yep - Peterson let a guy serve on the board of a company, then turn around and do business with that company. You can’t approve conflicts of interest like that. That’s just one example of many...

Deleted member 2897

No, they don't. Academically they are very good, but their curriculums are much broader that Georgia Tech's. They both offer many majors that don't require calculus. It's just a fact.

We dont offer a single Bachelors of Arts degree.

Im not saying we should change that, but Carnegie Melon, MIT, CalTech, etc - they dont field football teams, much less a P5 team. We can do it all, it’s just not as easy as others have it. But that’s the Georgia Tech way - our students don’t have it as easy as others do, and that’s part of what makes them elite.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 2014 we had a great run at the end of year, but on way to that run we barely won against Ga Southern and Vt. Without Jet and some amazing catches by Smelter those are losses.

We then beat Mia and LOST TO DUKE AND UNC .

Coach tapped into using massive o lineman (the goon squad is a distant memory ) and we mashed people.

Its entirely possible coach and this team at least partially tap into short and mid range passing ( that DC have not seen.) and we go on a tear.

I doubt we can go to orange bowl, but 7-5 w some big wins and a lower tier bowl is doable.
GO JACKETS

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
In 2014 we had a great run at the end of year, but on way to that run we barely won against Ga Southern and Vt. Without Jet and some amazing catches by Smelter those are losses.

We then beat Mia and LOST TO DUKE AND UNC .

Coach tapped into using massive o lineman (the goon squad is a distant memory ) and we mashed people.

Its entirely possible coach and this team at least partially tap into short and mid range passing ( that DC have not seen.) and we go on a tear.

I doubt we can go to orange bowl, but 7-5 w some big wins and a lower tier bowl is doable.
GO JACKETS

To “tap into short and midrange passing” one has to be able to complete those passes...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We dont offer a single Bachelors of Arts degree.

Im not saying we should change that, but Carnegie Melon, MIT, CalTech, etc - they dont field football teams, much less a P5 team. We can do it all, it’s just not as easy as others have it. But that’s the Georgia Tech way - our students don’t have it as easy as others do, and that’s part of what makes them elite.

We don't have to change one single thing except recruit nationally in order to find good players who want what we offer and who would like to play in a power 5 conference. That's all we need to do. Ramp up the recruiting budget and take it national. Get out of our back yard where we don't stand a chance against football factories in and around an academically weak state. Increase dramatically our pool of prospects. Get out there and find them and bring them here. It is the only answer, the only practical solution.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

The way things are going, we would probably end up hiring a UGA grad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk