Suddes

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we really feel sorry for a guy who has won 9 games in 3 years with a 14 million dollar contract? I’ll take 20 message boards talking trash about me for 14 million
I don't think the post about salary was to say Collins deserved the money. I think it was more about if Collins goes, what can you realistically expect we can get in our next hire since we are in middle of the pack or lower for Power 5 head coaches and well below the average for overall staff salaries. We could be in the position of having to hire an up and comer, hopefully that coach becomes successful and likely to move on to a better paying position. I think Choice, Coleman and Suddes all would have gotten more money but obviously were incented to move now because of Collins current status.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the post about salary was to say Collins deserved the money. I think it was more about if Collins goes, what can you realistically expect we can get in our next hire since we are in middle of the pack or lower for Power 5 head coaches and well below the average for overall staff salaries. We could be in the position of having to hire an up and comer, hopefully that coach becomes successful and likely to move on to a better paying position. I think Choice, Coleman and Suddes all would have gotten more money but obviously were incented to move now because of Collins current status.
....or Monken

*ducks*

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
....or Monken

*ducks*
1644272699547.gif

Don’t you want Monken for your own stable?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 12079
Don’t you want Monken for your own stable?

They just hired Tony Elliott from Clemson. Unless it's a total disaster, UVA is probably out of the new HC market for about 2-4 years. If Elliott can match what Mendenhall did, he'll be there for quite a while.

There are some heavy hitters that have a LOT of pull within GT athletics...for them, a "triple option" coach is a nonstarter. It's a shame, because a coach like Monken and Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina) probably makes GT a 7-9+ win team each season. I think Monken is probably a top 5 coach in the nation from a pure football standpoint. I said it before, but I think Chadwell is the modern day CPJ. GT would do well with either coach...and GT would do well with several other non "triple option" coaches as well. We are not limited to option coaches, but we do have to get outside of the Bobby Ross/George O'Leary tree and make it a more broad search as opposed to what happened that led us to CGC.

Unfortunately, I think it's just a matter of when, not if CGC is gone.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is where we are. Collins set us back 6-8 years depending on how long it takes the next coach to get some wins (I’m optimistic the next coach can get some wins just by being average). But to your point, we will have to hire an up and comer because we can’t afford a name guy and a name guy won’t want to come right now. But there are plenty of solid coaches we can hire. We just whiffed on the current one. But all the name coaches started off as a no name guy. Heck, we had Spurrier on campus and let him go. Just like we could have had O’Leary back after the ND fiasco. GT is it’s own worst enemy. All we can hope is the next up and comer we hire can stabilize the program and get us back to a point where coaches want to come here again.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They just hired Tony Elliott from Clemson. Unless it's a total disaster, UVA is probably out of the new HC market for about 2-4 years. If Elliott can match what Mendenhall did, he'll be there for quite a while.

There are some heavy hitters that have a LOT of pull within GT athletics...for them, a "triple option" coach is a nonstarter. It's a shame, because a coach like Monken and Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina) probably makes GT a 7-9+ win team each season. I think Monken is probably a top 5 coach in the nation from a pure football standpoint. I said it before, but I think Chadwell is the modern day CPJ. GT would do well with either coach...and GT would do well with several other non "triple option" coaches as well. We are not limited to option coaches, but we do have to get outside of the Bobby Ross/George O'Leary tree and make it a more broad search as opposed to what happened that led us to CGC.

Unfortunately, I think it's just a matter of when, not if CGC is gone.
That’s the case with every single coach at every single school.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is where we are. Collins set us back 6-8 years depending on how long it takes the next coach to get some wins (I’m optimistic the next coach can get some wins just by being average). But to your point, we will have to hire an up and comer because we can’t afford a name guy and a name guy won’t want to come right now. But there are plenty of solid coaches we can hire. We just whiffed on the current one. But all the name coaches started off as a no name guy. Heck, we had Spurrier on campus and let him go. Just like we could have had O’Leary back after the ND fiasco. GT is it’s own worst enemy. All we can hope is the next up and comer we hire can stabilize the program and get us back to a point where coaches want to come here again.
That’s crazy talk with no basis in reality. How do you figure?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Indeed. Just because we can't afford a big-name coach doesn't mean we can't end up with a good one.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s crazy talk with no basis in reality. How do you figure?
Figure he’ll be here 4 years of failing football. That’s 4. Then add in every player in high school at this point next year will only have known GT with Collins as coach from 5th grade thru 8th grade for them. You know, the years that most people form their fandom. In other words, good luck for the next coach getting high end high school players when they have witnessed years if ineptitude and then saw the 1 player who brought fans to the stands leave for Bama. For the first 2 years of Collins tenure his ineptitude only hurt his own reputation. Years 3 and 4 are now hurting GT’s reputation. High school juniors in 2022 were in 5th grade the last time we won a bowl game. Think about that. Our next coach will be trying to recruit players who haven’t seen a decent season since they were in elementary school. That’s why I say 6-8 years.

And I will add, the players who have brought us 3 straight 3 win seasons are a product of the end of the Johnson era as well so we’ve been set back way beyond Collins. We are in a lost decade overall which is why we are getting the results we have gotten. We haven’t had a legit QB since Thomas and a legit defense in years. We are seeing the results of sucking for a long time. Subpar players recruited by subpar coaches.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Figure he’ll be here 4 years of failing football. That’s 4. Then add in every player in high school at this point next year will only have known GT with Collins as coach from 5th grade thru 8th grade for them. You know, the years that most people form their fandom. In other words, good luck for the next coach getting high end high school players when they have witnessed years if ineptitude and then saw the 1 player who brought fans to the stands leave for Bama. For the first 2 years of Collins tenure his ineptitude only hurt his own reputation. Years 3 and 4 are now hurting GT’s reputation. High school juniors in 2022 were in 5th grade the last time we won a bowl game. Think about that. Our next coach will be trying to recruit players who haven’t seen a decent season since they were in elementary school. That’s why I say 6-8 years.

And I will add, the players who have brought us 3 straight 3 win seasons are a product of the end of the Johnson era as well so we’ve been set back way beyond Collins. We are in a lost decade overall which is why we are getting the results we have gotten. We haven’t had a legit QB since Thomas and a legit defense in years. We are seeing the results of sucking for a long time. Subpar players recruited by subpar coaches.
So you're saying 6-8 years including the time that CGC is here? Okay. While I don't agree, I can follow that. I interpreted what you wrote as 6-8 years after he's gone.

I think you're putting way too much onto who these kids are fans of in middle school (or even high school). I think if we ride this out and CGC doesn't get the turn he needs (next year or the year after) and is out, we'll be in a much better position than we have been for some regime changes. The wildcard is the Portal. We have no idea who a new coach can bring in or who we'll lose before/after a new coach comes in. I think with the Portal the way it is now, it's much easier to tank if it looks like a weak change or to challenge if it's a strong, popular change.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So you're saying 6-8 years including the time that CGC is here? Okay. While I don't agree, I can follow that. I interpreted what you wrote as 6-8 years after he's gone.

I think you're putting way too much onto who these kids are fans of in middle school (or even high school). I think if we ride this out and CGC doesn't get the turn he needs (next year or the year after) and is out, we'll be in a much better position than we have been for some regime changes. The wildcard is the Portal. We have no idea who a new coach can bring in or who we'll lose before/after a new coach comes in. I think with the Portal the way it is now, it's much easier to tank if it looks like a weak change or to challenge if it's a strong, popular change.
I can buy that angle. I do put stock into history however. I’ve been around a bunch of high school players and coaches down here in South Georgia and the media propaganda against the option absolutely affected players views of GT. We didn’t get 1 player from a Lee County type down here during that period all because every SEC coach who came thru used the same talking points. We got 1 from Thomasville - Charlie Thomas. Seriously, football Is King down here and GT wasn’t an option outside a few (Jemea Thomas, and a few others). Fast forward to now and the talking points are back and we lost Willis because none of these kids have ever seen GT succeed. Willis was in 4th grade when we beat Kentucky in J’ville. Why would he come to GT over a coach and team with recent success? Collins has at least shown up to all the big schools and was covered by local media. I never saw Johnson in any local papers or TV down here on visits. And until we see results it’s hard for me to agree that the next coach will be in a better position. What young players have shown they are legit? Our WR’s have been mediocre (maybe we have some good ones coming). OLine is just a mess. Smith has proven himself at RB but the rest of that room hasn’t shown us anything. We all hope Griffin is good but we just don’t know. I don’t even know how to wrap my head around the defense after what I watched for 36 months. When did GT become the team every player can’t wait to set personal records?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
didn't Willis commit to Ole Miss, and aren't you the one always saying how dirty recruiting is? Do you think he's been watching OM win games since he was in the 4th grade of dreaming of playing there?

outside of that, it appears that you think the whole team sucks. I think we have some players. I am hopeful we have an OC that knows how to use them. I don't now what to make of the defense right now.

but, the good thing is, the season is 6+ months away. that means it's way too early to be all up your feelz.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, three years of three wins doesn’t really scream we don‘t suck. Willis is a perfect example of how recent success or failure can sway players. Willis committed to us when we all thought the mojo was real. But 3 years of it and he bolted to a team on the upswing. And, absolutely money played a role. But if we would have shown a pulse last season he’d be a Jacket today because a 3 hour drive is better than a 7 hour drive for his family even with a few bennies thrown at you. We all watched every game closely these past 3 years and I saw very few players who made a difference. Hopefully the new coaches can unlock whatever talent has been locked. Or we just need to get players who can block, tackle, throw, and run better. Maybe we have them and they just weren’t seeing the field.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This implies that we behave in an acceptable fashion only when we are forced to when the boss is watching. As Coach Wooten said awhile back, "character is what you do when nobody's watching".

I have always maintained that the anonymity aspect of these things embolden people to speak to and about others in ways in which you don't see in day to day interactions with other people. I like to believe even our most boorish and obnoxious posters here would actually be pretty decent people if one were to sitdown and discuss these matters over a beer or cocktail.

You really are a living embodiment of every UGA joke about Tech grads, huh? Did you crush your solo cup when slang was used at parties? Lighten up. The internet is supposed to be fun.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Well, three years of three wins doesn’t really scream we don‘t suck. Willis is a perfect example of how recent success or failure can sway players. Willis committed to us when we all thought the mojo was real. But 3 years of it and he bolted to a team on the upswing. And, absolutely money played a role. But if we would have shown a pulse last season he’d be a Jacket today because a 3 hour drive is better than a 7 hour drive for his family even with a few bennies thrown at you. We all watched every game closely these past 3 years and I saw very few players who made a difference. Hopefully the new coaches can unlock whatever talent has been locked. Or we just need to get players who can block, tackle, throw, and run better. Maybe we have them and they just weren’t seeing the field.
We'll just get him in the portal next year or year after.🤷‍♂️

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We'll just get him in the portal next year or year after.🤷‍♂️
I think we probably will. I’m serious. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Willis portals to GT. He’s a very good player but not elite so once playing time is shared that 7 hour drive will get old.