Suddes

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not the original Morpheus. The guy who followed him.

And this is the latest roster from ramblinwreck.com.

I only consider Stancato to be "Morpheus" not the new guy.

Interesting on Horton. His bio still shows him there but the roster doesn't.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But I just don't think this is a good job anymore and smart coaches know that.

200.gif

JacketFan137

Banned
I tend to agree with this. I would wager that 50% or more who post here have mad bade hires and/or fired other people's bad hires. But I am willing to bet that NO ONE who posts here has fired a guy with a 7 figure contract and a guaranteed payout upon being fired. And for most of us who have fired people, we were in companies with good reputations in our fields (assumption here), meaning that the pool of applicants would be people with estabilished track records and reputations that were easy to vet withinour industry. Georgia Tech is not in the same position. Whether the current coach succeeds or not, the next guy will be similar in stature...a young, unproven guy who is "full of potential". But I just don't think this is a good job anymore and smart coaches know that. Of course, with a 7 figure salary and a guaranteed buyout, I suspect several of us alond with hundreds of others who may have actually coached somewhere sometime will send our applications in along with references from our Moms and pastors and former Scou leaders.
i’ve posted things about it in different threads but look at what SEC coordinators make and then look at what we pay ours. collins would be in the very bottom of the SEC in pay rate. at this point this is not a more appealing job than vanderbilt.

if these guys really allegedly ponied up the money to fire collins this past year, hopefully when we eventually do move on they keep the same energy and want to pay that to our future coach or else it’s gonna be another hire in the same vein of young unproven coach

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do we really feel sorry for a guy who has won 9 games in 3 years with a 14 million dollar contract? I’ll take 20 message boards talking trash about me for 14 million
I do tend to agree with this. The game is now set up such that the guys who get these gigs can't really truly fail. I am sure that all of them do want to win. But if they don't it's a pretty soft landing. take the buyout and go coach at North Macon State and do what you love,knowing that you have suceeded at your primary job...settting your family up for peace of mind.

I want Coach to suceed here as I honestly believe that is what he wants too. But if he doesn't, I will tip my cap to him as he, at the end of the day, Coach Collins did pretty well for himself and his family. That's why all of us went to work isn't it?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I do tend to agree with this. The game is now set up such that the guys who get these gigs can't really truly fail. I am sure that all of them do want to win. But if they don't it's a pretty soft landing. take the buyout and go coach at North Macon State and do what you love,knowing that you have suceeded at your primary job...settting your family up for peace of mind.

I want Coach to suceed here as I honestly believe that is what he wants too. But if he doesn't, I will tip my cap to him as he, at the end of the day, Coach Collins did pretty well for himself and his family. That's why all of us went to work isn't it?
No reason to feel sorry for him and no reason to hold anything against him. Sure he's doing his best and wish him well.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
MBob, in my opinion, takes the brunt of the blame for this. He came in during the early stages of the true arms race and decided to take a nap. Now the AD is in catch up mode and can't afford to make bad hires/decisions because we don't have Auburn or UF funds to get a new coach everyday couple of years.

That's why I feel for TStan. I think he really tries to do it the right way here, and I would like to meet the person on this board who's never made a wrong decision in their professional lives. I hope he can doesn't get the axe if CGC can't turn this thing around next season.

slugboy

Staff member
Honest question about TStan. Does his track record indicate he can turn this around?

Tech has multiple issues right now. I don't know what your criteria for "turn things around" are, but the number of athletic directors who have turned around
  • a program deeply in debt,
  • with old facilities that are resistant to upgrade
  • with an unusually limited supply of "big money" donors
  • at a medium-sized school (Wake is small, we're bigger than that, but we're not 60k students)
  • and that school doesn't have a law school or med school
  • but it has 20+ years of middling season ticket sales
  • and for various reasons cannot get strong financial aid from the parent institution
  • and we just had two years of pandemic-era effects on our athletic program
  • and just got out of having its financial hands tied by a rollover coaching contract and multiple self-inflicted wounds
  • in an AA that has had a reputation of being inefficient since David Braine took over for Homer Rice
are going to be limited in number and possibly non-existent.

In Stansbury's favor
  1. He has had outstanding fundraising.
  2. His main focus has been on digging us out of our debt problem, which has been an anchor dragging us down
  3. He has improved many of our other coaching and staffing issues
  4. We have achieved a lot of athletic success for a school with only 17 sports.
  5. He has a wide variety of plans to improve the gameday experience
  6. But he's limited by the resources he has in order to do only a few things at a time.
If you treat the AA the way Georgia Tech has in the past, I doubt any AD would be able to dig us out of our current football malaise. This has Angel Cabrera's attention now, so that offers some hope.

MBob, in my opinion, takes the brunt of the blame for this. He came in during the early stages of the true arms race and decided to take a nap. Now the AD is in catch up mode and can't afford to make bad hires/decisions because we don't have Auburn or UF funds to get a new coach everyday couple of years.

That's why I feel for TStan. I think he really tries to do it the right way here, and I would like to meet the person on this board who's never made a wrong decision in their professional lives. I hope he can doesn't get the axe if CGC can't turn this thing around next season.

Looking back at MBob and DRad before him, and Braine before them, there was a massive amount of ignoring problems that needed fixing. I would really put a lot of problems back on Braine--the AA was strong under Rice, and Braine just coasted. MBob was a disaster, though.

Regardless of whether you like the Flexbone, MBob restricting resources for Johnson was idiotic. At Tech, if you want a coach gone, but they're winning, give them support--you'll have to face the threat of someone stealing them, and that's a lot easier than trying to fire them. It'll be easier to get your next coach.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Honest question about TStan. Does his track record indicate he can turn this around?
You asked about past records so lets look

East Tennessee State 2000 - 20003, after 2003 they dropped football and only started back a few years ago, ( not a good record but let's move on to the next one)

UFC 2012 - 2015 came in and O'leary was already there O'leary leave during 2015 finish 0-12 ( was this on him I have no idea but looks bad)

Oregon State 2015-2016 I don't know much about Oregon State but in 2015 Gary Anderson was named Head Coach I have no idea if he hired him would guess he did. in 2016 after finishing 4-8 Anderson was replaced in 2017 by the next AD.

I have no idea if all this is on him but I don't see anything he did to help them.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
You asked about past records so lets look

East Tennessee State 2000 - 20003, after 2003 they dropped football and only started back a few years ago, ( not a good record but let's move on to the next one)

UFC 2012 - 2015 came in and O'leary was already there O'leary leave during 2015 finish 0-12 ( was this on him I have no idea but looks bad)

Oregon State 2015-2016 I don't know much about Oregon State but in 2015 Gary Anderson was named Head Coach I have no idea if he hired him would guess he did. in 2016 after finishing 4-8 Anderson was replaced in 2017 by the next AD.

I have no idea if all this is on him but I don't see anything he did to help them.

In stansbury’s defense, I’d argue that Oregon state is one of the toughest P5 AD gigs for sure.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I had a discussion a few month ago with my friend who works for the GTAA. His opinion was that MBob had the same outlook for GT football that Braine had, but wasn't dumb enough to reiterate what got Braine in hot water. MBob was also a basketball man, so he was much more worried about the Men's BBall program than football. The damage done to our football program during the MBob tenure is hard to quantify because it not only put us behind, but it's made it darned near impossible to catch up now that the arms race has exploded.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
ADTS has won my approval. The AI2020 was massively successful. He has addressed what we fans knew was obvious, so he is atleast acknowledging the issues and problems. He is well liked in the Atlanta business world as he has been named to several "top leaders" lists in ATL. He is respected in the AD community as he was put on one of the first, if not the first, CFP Committee. He has the connection to ADHR. I give him the benefit of a doubt.
As for the CGC issue, I believe he is looking at the big picture. Sure we might have the money to fire him from the big donors, but what about the rest of the staff? Do we have the money to make GT an attractive place for a "better" coach? And what about their staff? If nothing else, CGC is upgrading the raw talent at GT. His buyout is getting smaller by the month. Like many I want CGC to succeed because if he does then GT succeeds. But, the AD is the only one who has the power to fire a coach.
I want the money Auburn has, but they are a real laughing stock. They give a lifetime roll over contract to a bball coach with a history of NCAA cheating and somehow wasnt fired after the latest dust up. Some guy who sells wood and knows nothing about sports is pissed and tries to fire a coach because he didn't kiss his rear. It really is a cow college. And when I lived in bama a decade+ ago, I chose them over the tide to root for.
Point being, it isn't as bleak as it seems. We're 209 days away from kickoff vs Clemson so many are typing to just type. Let's get ready to renew our season tix and write checks to support the AT Fund!. Go Tech and THWg!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I only care about GT. No big money running things here.
Not sure how far you go back with GT history. But sometimes thing go on behind close doors. There was a time an AD made a bad hire and a guy by the name of Kim King hired a coach George O'leary to come back to Tech. Took a chance that the head coach would hire him to be the DC. Long story short O'leary replaced that coach half way during the season.

So the question ( And I don't know the answer has it happen now and maybe the next head coach is on the staff now? ) I really don't think so but you never know.

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Not sure how far you go back with GT history. But sometimes thing go on behind close doors. There was a time an AD made a bad hire and a guy by the name of Kim King hired a coach George O'leary to come back to Tech. Took a chance that the head coach would hire him to be the DC. Long story short O'leary replaced that coach half way during the season.

So the question ( And I don't know the answer has it happen now and maybe the next head coach is on the staff now? ) I really don't think so but you never know.
Just curious...when Kim King "hired" O"Leary was the AD at the time anywhere in the room, in the building, on campus, in Atl? You speak as if the AD had no say?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just curious...when Kim King "hired" O"Leary was the AD at the time anywhere in the room, in the building, on campus, in Atl? You speak as if the AD had no say?
This is what happen, Homer Rice hired B*** L**** Ralph and O'leary were not interviewed for the job. Kim told Homer after 2 years he didn't think B*** L**** would make it. Kim told Homer you need to get someone to run the defense, Homer ask who was he thinking about Kim said O'Leary. Homer said he would not come back but Kim told him and O'leary talked off and on. O'leary wanted to be a Head Coach and told Kim if I get an offer I'm gone. Kim and O'leary worked out the parameters. Kim asked him would he sign a letter of intent. O'leary told him you can't do that. Kim told him it would be on his company letterhead. And there is no reason i can't hire the best defensive coach for my company. Kim then went to Homer and said if you don't hire him he would be laughed out of Atlanta being the only real estate guy with a defensive coordinator. I guess Homer talked B*** L**** into talking to O'leary and they hit it off. And you know the story halfway though the season Homer fired B*** L**** and O'leary was named interim head coach that season. He was named Head Coach after the season.

So it shows and AD how made a mistake but learned from it.

This was in a book called Tales from Georgia Tech the sideline ( it was a great read and told by Kim King)