State of program

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Colorado Jacket has it right and we should all appreciate a dwag fan who has come to the right side of the Force. Being a GT fan isn't easy now and never has been. Perspective seems to be in short order after a bad loss like this. We all want the Jackets to win and when the 18-22 year old young men don't, us old(er) farts lose a grip. Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. Today.....

See, that is the thing. It is not just after a bad loss like this. Could see this coming weeks ago. When we played w.f. we did not come out ready. They punched us in the mouth. We have had way too many games this year where we only fought the best we could for only one half. JMO. But a very telling sign.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I never heard a single fan ever allege this and I bet you didn't either. Did every fan agree we should fire CCG? No. Could we have done worse? You bet.

Au contraire. Saw it implied and posted on several boards back in the day. Doesn’t matter if you did / did not see or hear it. Heck, back then I saw a post on one board where a guy said there were ZERO S/As from the state of Ga we could ever sign. ZERO.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Au contraire. Saw it implied and posted on several boards back in the day. Doesn’t matter if you did / did not see or hear it. Heck, back then I saw a post on one board where a guy said there were ZERO S/As from the state of Ga we could ever sign. ZERO.

If you say so I will concede. Lord knows plenty of stupid comments abound in this community also. I won't concede there was any sort of consensus in those thoughts / statements.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One thing. If many are correct in their assertion that CTR should be fired, why would they trust the man, who having hired 3 or 4 bad ones in 10 years, to make another DC hire?
Whisky, there is someone on the duke game comments who is wondering why the taller back up qb didn't get any playing time at the end.
I will watch there for you to explain the need for t,q to play the whole game.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Skeptic and whisky- is this a one off?
Or
Do you agree trending is down?

What specific changes would you guys support? Any?
After doing this awhile, and seeing the board set itself on fire and scorch most anybody associated with the team after such a result I long ago decided to set on my reactions a day or so and let the chum settle to the bottom. Right now I'm more concerned with the hysteria that seems to follow a loss. It contributes nothing and gets in the way of thoughtful discourse. Thankfully some members don't have access to the Big Boom Button. (That isn't intended as a putdown.) But I'll just try to think pleasant thoughts and let things settle first.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Whisky, there is another guy on the duje post game thrsad thats posting specifically critical comments about the defensive strategy- why zone defense. Please post there to tell him what is in error besides he is hurting the underpaid dc s feelings. I wait to hear your analysis

Do u really think we played agressive defense in the 3 and 4th quarter. ? See u at the duke thread

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
After doing this awhile, and seeing the board set itself on fire and scorch most anybody associated with the team after such a result I long ago decided to set on my reactions a day or so and let the chum settle to the bottom. Right now I'm more concerned with the hysteria that seems to follow a loss. It contributes nothing and gets in the way of thoughtful discourse. Thankfully some members don't have access to the Big Boom Button. (That isn't intended as a putdown.) But I'll just try to think pleasant thoughts and let things settle first.
Look forward to your specifics on are we trending down.? To me this game is a bad sign. Is it too much to expect to not be slaughtered by the worst team in acc.
Can we expect to beat DUKE next year. ?

Also wonder if u are remotely critical of coach not giving the taller back up qb some pt @ the end.

Please 've specific and leave the we aren't alabama, factory stuff off that whisky keeps brining up. No kidding we aren't Alabama

I would like yours and other football knowledgable fols comment on the following.
This weekend my son's team in T won their play off game and while i was watching the duke game he was looking at computer bassed films on his next opponent . This is a small school, but he has super modern computer based tools to categorise and search all the opponents games by down distance. He assigned duties to his assistant coaches and they will then meet tomorrow after church to make first pass at game plan and pic film sequences to show players..
This is a small high school - just imagine what is going on in ACC. It seems to me at gt we are facing more and more teams that are getting smarter at defending the t o. We can play butch Jones every week. Could technology be eating into our --- uniqueness. ?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Whisky, there is another guy on the duje post game thrsad thats posting specifically critical comments about the defensive strategy- why zone defense. Please post there to tell him what is in error besides he is hurting the underpaid dc s feelings. I wait to hear your analysis

Do u really think we played agressive defense in the 3 and 4th quarter. ? See u at the duke thread

Have I triggered you or do you just really like hearing what I have to say? If you really want to pose a question to another board member in particular.... you should think about trying the @ function to address that particular person. Kinda like this....

@iceeater1969 glad to be of service to ya(y)

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I never heard a single fan ever allege this and I bet you didn't either. Did every fan agree we should fire CCG? No. Could we have done worse? You bet.

We’ve done .01 better winning percentage wise. It’s hard to argue the program is in better shape now than it was in the Gailey era, which is depressing because Chan was awful.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Look forward to your specifics on are we trending down.? To me this game is a bad sign. Is it too much to expect to not be slaughtered by the worst team in acc.
Can we expect to beat DUKE next year. ?

Also wonder if u are remotely critical of coach not giving the taller back up qb some pt @ the end.

Please 've specific and leave the we aren't alabama, factory stuff off that whisky keeps brining up. No kidding we aren't Alabama

I would like yours and other football knowledgable fols comment on the following.
This weekend my son's team in T won their play off game and while i was watching the duke game he was looking at computer bassed films on his next opponent . This is a small school, but he has super modern computer based tools to categorise and search all the opponents games by down distance. He assigned duties to his assistant coaches and they will then meet tomorrow after church to make first pass at game plan and pic film sequences to show players..
This is a small high school - just imagine what is going on in ACC. It seems to me at gt we are facing more and more teams that are getting smarter at defending the t o. We can play butch Jones every week. Could technology be eating into our --- uniqueness. ?
Let me hasten, with greatest alacrity -- I had to look it up -- to say there are dozens of people on the board who know more about football than I, and several of them post regularly with insights I never had. But being a message board guy I have opinions, apparently issued by the moderators when I joined. What seems unique to this board -- it may not be, but this is the only one I read regularly -- is the tension between those who boast of academics and standards, yet argue they do not impact recruiting, an argument that makes no sense to me, and those who accept some but not all of those arguments and settle on coaches who can recruit better and get some hardnosed smart guys. All seem to want, maybe expect, 9-10 wins annually. Then of course there is the evergreen: fire the coach/keep the coach. (That's a reason for waiting to comment, I think. When we are talking about a guy's career as well as that of his entire staff, then maybe a bit of courtesy is deserved. I'll wait.)

Per your boy coaching and computers: I played three sports at a small school. We didn't keep batting averages, passing or rushing yardage, or points per basketball game. We just played, and reached the playoffs in all three sports. Maybe we were better off?

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I realize that CTR should be criticized but maybe it’s just that the D can’t get a good look from the scout team because the offense that we run.. if that is the case, do you think any capable D coordinator would want this job? He is setting himself up for failure..

With that said, I got a feeling that our D will always have this same problem unless we decide to make a total change at the top. In other words, we need our O to carry the team.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Been thinking about this more this morning. This goes off of the other thread on the tweet from Clinton Lynch.
First and foremost, fans should continue to support the team through the bad seasons and show up. Last year as an example when UGA was down, they were still selling out games..
Fan support is a big bonus for recruitment.
Next I do think budget and coaching adjustments are in order. We have had 4 DC's under CPJ is a 5th really going to fix the issue?

Right now I think CPJ is in a tough spot, there are things that are just out of his control with the school, however there are things with the team and coaching he can fix. If he can't then thats where we need to discuss his future.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
EVERY FAN BASE HAS MENTAL BREAKDOWNS. I don't care if you buy it or not

Yes, but now you've removed the caveat. I agree every fanbase has fans that lose their marbles when things don't go right. Every child I know throws a temper tantrum at some point as well. The mark of growth is when you realize these breakdowns, like a childs temper tantrum, serve no purpose but to allow you to act like a fool.

I'll answer the question posed in the title:

Offense is an upward trajectory. We need to figure out the QB situation and I would like to see some coaching changes on the OLine. We return everyone except Ricky, JJ, and Shamire. We'll hopefully have Andrew Marshall back healthy and the freshmen coming off their redshirts to help the depth. Jerry is going to be a star one day so I think BBack will be better as well. A-Backs might be worse without JJ, but it seems like Clinton Lynch just isn't 100% this year. If he's healthy I think we can be even better there. Jalen and Brad can hold down the fort, but we have some really excited freshmen that we can hopefully get involved.

Hopefully we don't have the unexpected attrition like we did with Eason, Trey Klock, Marcus Marshall, and Dedrick leaving last year.

Special teams: I honestly don't know. Can't be worse?

Defense: this is going to take a hit. We will be replacing lots of Seniors. We have some guys for the secondary but we don't seem to have any depth at DE. This was the year to see what a deep, experienced defense was like under the current staff. This is the peak, and it's going to be down hill going into next year.

So next year, assuming coaching is the same, I would expect our defense to be closer to 2016 levels with the amount of new faces we'll see. I see our offense opening up more, depending on QB, and being maybe closer to 2016 levels. If we have some coaching changes then I really like our talent level on O and on D so I think we could be in store for a special year with a favorable schedule.
Are you just now following tech foosball? It's been 10 years now and the defense has always been the red headed step child. Special teams has always been helter-skeltet. We have not seen a passing attack since Taylor Bennett. That had a little to do with Calvin. So why will next year or the next 10 be any different under Paul Johnson? We've seen his best (14).